*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
1gb up/down - £150? Not wanting to go mad just need something to handle the throughput, seen the UCG-Ultra?
You have a CloudKey already, there's no requirement to get a Gateway appliance with the Network Application built in. Personally, I would look at the UXG-Max as it will also give you headroom for future speeds (2.5 GbE WAN & LAN). If that's too rich and you're content with 1 GbE then there's the UXG-Lite but there's fewer LAN ports.

Or you could get the UCG-Ultra and sell your CloudKey.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I initially backed up my Protect detections to Apple Home using Homebridge. However I started getting a few issues and switched to Scrypted. That had been working flawlessly for many months until a few weeks ago when the cameras would just go offline in Apple Home. I'd add them again, reinstall Scrypted, tried all sorts of different settings but the end result was the same. I've since switched back to Homebridge and they appear to have made big improvements and so far, so good. I'll update if I get any issues. Shame really, as I much prefer the Scrypted UI.

Soldato
What's the consensus re the Unifi Doorbell G4 pro device? I currently have a Ring Door bell and it's worked fine, but with the Prime discounts looking at updating it to the Doorbell Pro unit. Unifi "problem" is getting a network cable there for PoE etc.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My question would be "do you have any issues at all with your current setup?". The G4 Doorbell Pro is going to let you use the thing as a camera in a UniFi Protect setup which might be something you care about, but it's a really expensive doorbell. It's also available in a Wi-Fi version if you don't want to deal with a cable.

Last edited:
Soldato
My question would be "do you have any issues at all with your current setup?". The G4 Doorbell Pro is going to let you use the thing as a camera in a UniFi Protect setup which might be something you care about, but it's a really expensive doorbell. It's also available in a Wi-Fi version if you don't want to deal with a cable.

From the basic aspect the Ring Doorbell has been absolutely fine after sorting an AP location. To add, there isn't power in the doorbell area, hence Ring option originally.

I've got a G4 on a CKG2+ unit covering the back garden and another G4 bullet coming for hopefully over the front driveway.

Man of Honour
New top of rack/leaf switch for my lab. 4x100 GbE ports which with breakout cables can be 16x 25 GbE ports for £650.

UniFi really need to sort their high capacity switches out, the low number of 25 GbE ports and the price is really disappointing.

HKl5aN4.jpeg

Caporegime
New top of rack/leaf switch for my lab. 4x100 GbE ports which with breakout cables can be 16x 25 GbE ports for £650.

UniFi really need to sort their high capacity switches out, the low number of 25 GbE ports and the price is really disappointing.

My relatively minor beef with Mikrotik is that it seems like each product is designed by a different company, there's no consistency. They've released two switches in the last month, the CRS320-8P-8B-4S+RM and the CRS326-4C+20G+2Q+RM and the vent slots are different, the labelling typeface is different, they use different wording for the OOB management interface (MGMT/BOOT vs. ETH/BOOT), and the status LEDs are different.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My relatively minor beef with Mikrotik is that it seems like each product is designed by a different company, there's no consistency. They've released two switches in the last month, the CRS320-8P-8B-4S+RM and the CRS326-4C+20G+2Q+RM and the vent slots are different, the labelling typeface is different, they use different wording for the OOB management interface (MGMT/BOOT vs. ETH/BOOT), and the status LEDs are different.
Yeah, there are a lot of flaws for sure. The software is, well, challenging. They're far from straight forward to configure! But, for the non-blocking throughput and port density, I couldn't see anything remotely close.

Soldato
I went for the NVR deal also, it just arrived today.

They also may want to get rid of the old G4 stock to get them out the door and stop them clogging up the warehouse.

It’s a good offer mind.

I think I’m bang on the money with this, the QC date on my camera is 15/4/23 so it’s been sat in a warehouse for over a year.

No complaints here though it’s a good deal and my cloud key storage is currently maxed out so a worthwhile upgrade.

Soldato
It’s a good doorbell, the notifications are fast and doesn’t have a subscription.

The downside is the upfront cost but that’s because they need to make a profit on the device rather than a subscription.
And that is something that people should be supporting in this "everything has to have a sub" economy.

Soldato
It's fair to say i've not been polite about the 'stupidly expensive doorbell' or the 'even more stupidly expensive doorbell', but ironically it was the first thing I purchased after the UDMP-SE. As with most things that initially appear expensive, it's price becomes largely irrelevant once bought and paid for. I actually like the G4 non-pro, the LED works really well for my usage, I run it via PoE (not officially supported, but works) and other than having to manually uninstall and re-install protect to get it working, it's actually been faultless. Could I have spent £40 on a Blink and had similar functionality? Yes at a basic level, but this works and is better for my personal usage, more importantly it's made life easier for us as a family.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I've got a UCG Ultra connected to Zen and I have 5 IP's with them. I want to change the default IP address that outbound and inbound traffic uses, how do I do that? I've added in an additional IP address /29 in the WAN settings.

I can access the additional address internally and it opens up the UCG login page

I cant see anything obvious in the Port Forwarding or Policy Routing secionts

Last edited:
Soldato
You have a CloudKey already, there's no requirement to get a Gateway appliance with the Network Application built in. Personally, I would look at the UXG-Max as it will also give you headroom for future speeds (2.5 GbE WAN & LAN). If that's too rich and you're content with 1 GbE then there's the UXG-Lite but there's fewer LAN ports.

Or you could get the UCG-Ultra and sell your CloudKey.
So I have gone ahead and ordered the Ultra, been looking at the migration process from UC-CK >> UCG-Ultra and this seems to be a simple way to do it, got a backup of my current UC-CK so plug in my Ultra to the same network, give the ultra a unique IP follow this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBNb0a1uNc0

And then restore my UC-CK back up the new UCG-Ultra

Man of Honour
How long have you had the CloudKey? I ask as there can be quite a few issues with the backup/restore process; it might be worth just setting it all up again as a new deployment.

Man of Honour
Hi @ChrisD. I'd say a couple of years? UCKV3 its been pretty solid with the odd blip here and there, mainly to do with Unifi updates and some of my fat fingers :)
Give it a go and see how you get on, things might have improved and yours isn't too old. I think I had 5+ years worth of config brought over through various versions and upgrades which messed things up a little.

Back
Top Bottom