*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
By the way, are you still able to use the Sky Go app for watching recordings from the Q box(es) with your setup (different VLAN etc)?
Yep, though that stopped with when I moved to the UXG Max and for reasons of lazyness and the fact that Sonos and Sky are friends these days I haven't bothered to fix it.

When I was using the USG I had to configured to act as an IGMP proxy. The UXG Max can also, but it's more designed for getting IPTV working LAN side than inter-VLAN IGMP so the configuration options aren't there. The USG was configured with a config.gateway.json file on the Controller but the UXG doesn't read that so the config that was previously working doesn't apply.

Soldato
Seperate VLAN and 2.4GHz SSID was one of the suggestions i read (on here perhaps) but they still didn't want to play ball.
Maybe i'll come back to it in the future as there was no doubt a setting or a simple combo that would have got it to work :cry:

If you want a Sky box to connect to Wi-Fi that isn't from a Sky router than 2.4GHz is your only option. As I said, they were previously a pig to get workig but with my current setup it's all running fine with the Sky & Sonos stuff on the same VLAN.

Soldato
Quite happy the Max is out and positioned where it is. Was considering delaying my purchase of the Cloud Gateway Ultra to see if they came out with something with full 2.5Gbps support but decided to purchase what I needed now rather than trying to chase the idea of future proofing. The Max is over twice the price of the Ultra and I have no need for something that can run Protect.
Is the max everything but WiFi? As in router

Soldato
The max is definitely another one of their ‘odd’ does a bit of everything but not quite good enough devices.

I mean, why would you want to run protect off a 512gb SSD? I get you can do smart detection recording only but if you are going to spend that much money on CCTV and it’s not 24/7 recording, you are doing it wrong.

The pricing just seems a bit off once you start adding storage:
No storage - £190
512gb - £267
1tb - £335
2TB - £459

I assume the storage is a standard SATA/NVME M.2 drive.

For context: a Dream Machine Pro is £363 and the SE is £478 or a dedicated U-NVR is £286 with a free camera.

Last edited:
Soldato
The max is definitely another one of their ‘odd’ does a bit of everything but not quite good enough devices.

I mean, why would you want to run protect off a 512gb SSD? I get you can do smart detection recording only but if you are going to spend that much money on CCTV and it’s not 24/7 recording, you are doing it wrong.

The pricing just seems a bit off once you start adding storage:
No storage - £190
512gb - £267
1tb - £335
2TB - £459

I assume the storage is a standard SATA/NVME M.2 drive.

For context: a Dream Machine Pro is £363 and the SE is £478 or a dedicated U-NVR is £286 with a free camera.
I run out off the DM SE no problem and that's I think only 128GB. Suits me just fine for what I want. I certainly don't need 24/7 recording.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've not done anything with my NVR yet, still new in box atm. I have 3 spare WD Plus 3TB drives that I was going to initially use. However with prime day etc. any particular drives people recommend? I was originally looking at some WD Purple, but they're only 5400 and Unifi recommend 7200.

I have some spare Dell 12TB hitachi drives, but they're from a poweredge.

Don
I've not done anything with my NVR yet, still new in box atm. I have 3 spare WD Plus 3TB drives that I was going to initially use. However with prime day etc. any particular drives people recommend? I was originally looking at some WD Purple, but they're only 5400 and Unifi recommend 7200.
WD Red Plus would be fine (equally so would 5400rpm drives in most cases). Specific CCTV/NVR drives aren't a requirement in most cases

I have some spare Dell 12TB hitachi drives, but they're from a poweredge.
Probably sas drives, but if not then no physical reason why they couldn't be used

Last edited:
Soldato
WD Red Plus would be fine (equally so would 5400rpm drives in most cases). Specific CCTV/NVR drives aren't a requirement in most cases

Probably sas drives, but if not then no physical reason why they couldn't be used

Ok many thanks, I'll hold from spending yet more money :) I have 4 x Red 12TB Pro drives too in a NAS that I was considering getting rid of. Move back to TrueNAS, but will plan for the 3 x RED drives. You can't expand with the NVR, so if I added drives later it's a rebuild? Only thinking of testing to start with.

Soldato
Yep. Really like it, bracket is the only weak point because it warps if you fit it to anything not 100% level. Took me ages to screw it on.

I see there is an optional bracket. Ok will look at this option. Plan is for it to maybe be mounted on the side of the house on brickwork

Soldato
I see there is an optional bracket. Ok will look at this option. Plan is for it to maybe be mounted on the side of the house on brickwork
That's how I have mine mounted just above a garage door. Didn't use any optional bracket just the one it comes with. One of the bricks was slightly proud of the other so when I screwed it down it warped.
Shame its not metal.
Quality and functionality is great though loads better than the Reolink it replaced.

Last edited:
Soldato
Afternoon all!

I've been debating just "forgetting" my LR APs on my old UCK and then adding my Ultra into the network and then adopting them from a fresh start perspective, I really don't want to crawl around in the loft space to hard reset my APs and I'm not too up on SSH'ing to the APs, my current IP range is on 192.168.0.1 from the Virgin Media SH5 as the DHCP server but come Monday I want to use the UCG-Ultra to cover the DHCP side and maybe set the Ultra to have the IP of 192.168.0.1 and mirror the current SSID/Password I have at home

I've not read great feedback on the backup (UCK) and restore to the UCG-Ultra :(

Soldato
Unless you have a loads of advanced configuration set, it’s pretty fast to just start over. Set the SSID and password the same and your golden.

Soldato
Afternoon all!

I've been debating just "forgetting" my LR APs on my old UCK and then adding my Ultra into the network and then adopting them from a fresh start perspective, I really don't want to crawl around in the loft space to hard reset my APs and I'm not too up on SSH'ing to the APs, my current IP range is on 192.168.0.1 from the Virgin Media SH5 as the DHCP server but come Monday I want to use the UCG-Ultra to cover the DHCP side and maybe set the Ultra to have the IP of 192.168.0.1 and mirror the current SSID/Password I have at home

I've not read great feedback on the backup (UCK) and restore to the UCG-Ultra :(

Had no issues doing a restore from Express / UCK to an ultra.

Equally just forget the other devices pre migration and then do a fresh setup. Just save your previous wireless settings and even easier.

Back
Top Bottom