*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Give it a go and see how you get on, things might have improved and yours isn't too old. I think I had 5+ years worth of config brought over through various versions and upgrades which messed things up a little.
Mine (I think) is a gen2 - so they play nicely on the same network as long as a remove the UC-CK once the ultra is up, APs and switch addopted etc?

Caporegime
I'm having a bit of a mare with my set up.

The G4 Doorbell worked fine for months with few issues but recently it's gone haywire when it comes to WiFi signal. It's constantly dropping quality and ability to record, the AP (supposedly enough to easily cover my house) isn't particularly far away but does have a few walls to get through.

I notice on the dashboard, I get a number of Radio TX retries. I tried tweaking power and channel settings but that made it worse so switched back to full auto. Whilst it seems to do better, they'll be periods where it goes berserk again.

Next - I had an old WiFi5 LR AP so tried to add that under the stairs as it's much closer to the front door but the camera WiFi I set up didn't want to work with it and the doorbell turned off until I connected it back to its original network (can you not mix WiFi 5 and 6 APs?).

The weird thing is I don't know what's changed to cause so many drops when it worked fine for months.

My options (I think) could be to drill a small hole in our staircase and plonk an AP on the outside which should give the doorbell better coverage. Or add an extender to a power socket near the front door - I only really need it for the doorbell as the rest of the house has good signal.

Soldato
You can mix WiFi 5 and 6 APs, mine prefers my WiFi 5 AP in the garage over the WiFi 6 one in the house. It’s closer and only has a single skin wall to get though rather than double.

Just be careful mounting APs outside, only a few are weatherproof.

Caporegime
You can mix WiFi 5 and 6 APs, mine prefers my WiFi 5 AP in the garage over the WiFi 6 one in the house. It’s closer and only has a single skin wall to get though rather than double.

Just be careful mounting APs outside, only a few are weatherproof.
Thank you. That's so weird, I just plugged in the LR into my UDM SE and left it on top. Unifi app claimed the signal was 'good' and despite it being only 2 meters from the doorbell with only wood and one wall, it refused to play ball with it. I'll try again, I swear any time I try and change something on this setup - it throws its toys out of the window :p. The drilling through the stairs would keep that AP inside, however I do plan on adding one on the exterior kitchen wall for the garden/shed but will choose an outdoor rated one for that.

Associate
Had a faulty gen2 plus cloudkey at work, was over 3 years old. Did the RMA on Ubiquiti's website and a new one was delivered couple of days later and the faulty one collected via UPS. They never asked once about when I purchased it, this is my second really good RMA service from them.

Soldato
So the UCG-Ultra has arrived, I might plug it into my network and do the migration to this and not the cloud key! :D wish me luck!

Hoping on YF install this Monday it will just be a plug n play (He says confidently!!!!)

Soldato
Quick question, does anyone know if either the U6-Mesh, UAP-AC-M/AC Mesh or UK-Ultra/Swiss Army Knife support working as a standalone (no controller) wireless(-to-ethernet) bridge connecting to an existing (non-Ubiquiti*) WiFi network?

Seems about 50/50 whether either of those would do that from reading Ubiquiti's website.

* Did have a UX but i couldn't get it fully stable with Q boxes, spent far too many hours and weekends playing around, gave up, punted it to a friend and reverted back to a Sky hub. Shame as it was a decent device otherwise.

Edit - This may be one for @WJA96 :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just use the app on your phone?

Sky Q is a nightmare, especially if you throw something like Sonos into the mix which is equally as weird.

Soldato
Just use the app on your phone?
Yup got that bit but it's more if those actual AP's could operate as wireless bridges to an existing WiFi network (Sky Hub) as various Ubiquiti and Reddit posts mention 'mesh' mode with other Unifi devices/AP's but not specifically bridge to an existing wireless network and differing vendor.

Gut says yes but having just found out with a TP-Link EAP that doesn't support it without Omada, i just wanted to double/triple check before throwing cash down :)

Sky Q is a nightmare, especially if you throw something like Sonos into the mix which is equally as weird.
It's an absolute pain in the rectum. One box worked with no issue (genuinely no idea why), the others it was a piece of string on how long they stayed up and i tried all the options, tips and tricks here, Reddit and other forums before the moans of "I can't watch X,Y,Z" became too much.
Had the same issue with Draytek gear last year so it's not the UX fault and i quite liked it other than it could do with a smidgen more grunt.

Soldato
It used to be, but lately it's a breeze. I previously had my Sky Q boxes onto a separate VLAN, if I didn't then the main Sky Q box would lock up.

A month or so ago I replaced my USG with a UXG Max and accidentally put the Sky boxes onto the same VLAN as the Sonos kit it and it's been absolutely fine. Zero issues. It probably helps that both my Sky Q boxes are connected by ethernet and I've fully disabled Wi-Fi on them.

Soldato
It used to be, but lately it's a breeze. I previously had my Sky Q boxes onto a separate VLAN, if I didn't then the main Sky Q box would lock up.

A month or so ago I replaced my USG with a UXG Max and accidentally put the Sky boxes onto the same VLAN as the Sonos kit it and it's been absolutely fine. Zero issues. It probably helps that both my Sky Q boxes are connected by ethernet and I've fully disabled Wi-Fi on them.
I think that's the big difference; if you can get the Q boxes all on ethernet with WiFi disabled then you're likely to have little issue. It's when WiFi is involved, some of mine i had no choice due to locations unfortunately, and then it all goes to pot.
It's the same with other kit and Sky doesn't seem too bothered to do anything as long as it works with their Sky Hub's (understandable i guess).

Man of Honour
Yup got that bit but it's more if those actual AP's could operate as wireless bridges to an existing WiFi network (Sky Hub) as various Ubiquiti and Reddit posts mention 'mesh' mode with other Unifi devices/AP's but not specifically bridge to an existing wireless network and differing vendor.
Ah, in that case I'm not sure, sorry, it might be possible.

Caporegime
Quite happy the Max is out and positioned where it is. Was considering delaying my purchase of the Cloud Gateway Ultra to see if they came out with something with full 2.5Gbps support but decided to purchase what I needed now rather than trying to chase the idea of future proofing. The Max is over twice the price of the Ultra and I have no need for something that can run Protect.

Soldato
I think that's the big difference; if you can get the Q boxes all on ethernet with WiFi disabled then you're likely to have little issue. It's when WiFi is involved, some of mine i had no choice due to locations unfortunately, and then it all goes to pot.
It's the same with other kit and Sky doesn't seem too bothered to do anything as long as it works with their Sky Hub's (understandable i guess).

Previously it was completely broken with the Sky Q boxes connected by ethernet (with Wi-Fi disabled) and the Sonos kit on Wi-Fi. The only way I could get it working was to move the Sky boxes onto their own VLAN.

Soldato
Previously it was completely broken with the Sky Q boxes connected by ethernet (with Wi-Fi disabled) and the Sonos kit on Wi-Fi. The only way I could get it working was to move the Sky boxes onto their own VLAN.
Seperate VLAN and 2.4GHz SSID was one of the suggestions i read (on here perhaps) but they still didn't want to play ball.
Maybe i'll come back to it in the future as there was no doubt a setting or a simple combo that would have got it to work :cry:

By the way, are you still able to use the Sky Go app for watching recordings from the Q box(es) with your setup (different VLAN etc)?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom