*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

My plan is to have a long enough cable to move the AP round my house to find, if it exists, the ideal place to give total coverage. If not it'll be one upstairs one downstairs.

Firstly though, as I can do this for the cost of printing this item, I'm going to print a stand and put the AP somewhere in y living room and see the coverage.

here is vpn speedtest i get from a vm going through the edgerouter4.
desktop-vpn-throughput-cpu-usage.png

desktop-vpn-throughput.png

cpu usage maxes out on the edgerouter and i can push 600odd mbit through the vpn on the download test.
this is using l2tp/ipsec server on edgerouter 4.
with vpn disabled it does around 940 up and down.

is it possible to get even more speed out of it? i already have offloading enabled , not sure if there are more tweaks that can be done.

Last edited:
Just done a quick test, UDM-SE to a Mullvad Wireguard server in London. I get around 780 Mbps and 80% CPU.

I'll try and do some more testing to different Mullvad servers to see if there's any improvement to be had.

No idea, but it's not going to be quick. Why not just use a modern protocol?
L2tp IPsec is built into the devices I used without needed to install extra stuff. So untill wire guard gets os integration into all major os's I'm not gonna bother with it for now.
Also wire guard is an issue on dynamic IP servers along with lower performance on some hardware which will perform better on IPsec due to aes-ni

Can anyone give me an example of the range of the in wall hd or in wall WiFi 7? For example if it was central in my house (small semi) can I expect it to cover most rooms or just in a single room?

Can anyone give me an example of the range of the in wall hd or in wall WiFi 7? For example if it was central in my house (small semi) can I expect it to cover most rooms or just in a single room?
Depends on so many factors it’s nearly impossible to say.

The saucer APs are very directional in that they broadcast the signal out like a doughnut so they’re pretty useless when placed vertical. In my non professional opinion and based on my experience, so long as the AP is horizontal then you get a good signal.
Having reread what you’ve said yes mounting the ap horizontally is usually best.

Last edited:
Just done a quick test, UDM-SE to a Mullvad Wireguard server in London. I get around 780 Mbps and 80% CPU.

I'll try and do some more testing to different Mullvad servers to see if there's any improvement to be had.
what is mullvad like for certain tv applications? One thing my in laws want to solve is iplayer (they pay a uk licence fee but obviously still can’t access it regularly). I set them up with nord on a fire stick but it’s a) not reliable and b) I’m putting them on a dream machine soon anyway.

I’ve had varying success using Proton for things like iPlayer, Disney etc

what is mullvad like for certain tv applications? One thing my in laws want to solve is iplayer (they pay a uk licence fee but obviously still can’t access it regularly). I set them up with nord on a fire stick but it’s a) not reliable and b) I’m putting them on a dream machine soon anyway.

I’ve had varying success using Proton for things like iPlayer, Disney etc
I've just tried when connected to a London VPN and iPlayer tells me it can only be used in the UK. I don't use VPN for that though, I use my home VPN and that works perfectly fine. A lot of streaming services simply do reverse DNS lookups and block at a domain name level, they have also started to require location when on a mobile device and won't allow videos to play unless it's enabled.

Edit, works with NordVPN connected to Manchester. But you can't easily get Nord Wireguard config files for non-app use.

Last edited:
I've just tried when connected to a London VPN and iPlayer tells me it can only be used in the UK. I don't use VPN for that though, I use my home VPN and that works perfectly fine. A lot of streaming services simply do reverse DNS lookups and block at a domain name level, they have also started to require location when on a mobile device and won't allow videos to play unless it's enabled.

Edit, works with NordVPN connected to Manchester. But you can't easily get Nord Wireguard config files for non-app use.
Yes one of the hopes with the three dream machine setup is I can just site to site back to my UK vpn and run everything from there.

How does it work though if I run a vpn at the home connection and then a vpn from France to the uk? Two sets of overheads?

Last edited:
Can site A connect to a vpn whilst running a vpn for sites b and c connect to?

What I’m trying to solve is site a in the uk uses a vpn almost all the time for work purpose, but sites b&c want to use site a as it’s vpn server for purposes of having a uk up address but also file sharing and working abroad to tunnel back to the uk.

How awkward is the G4 Pro PoE doorbell when it comes to hole size and such for getting it mounted to brickwork? Looking at the G4 Doorbell to replace a wireless Ring doorbell. Plan would be to get a network cable into the lounge and then into a PoE switch etc.

I guess it depends on if you are running the cable through the wall with the plug on it or not, the former needing a substantially bigger hole than the latter.

I've not fitted one of these but given CAT5e or CAT6 isn't anything like as flexible as door bell wire, the hole will need to line up with the plug on the back of the door bell.

I'd definitely recommend CAT5e for doing this job, CAT6 will be far too stiff to get a reasonable bend radius to hide the cable in the wall, CAT6 will make life very difficult.

Back
Top Bottom