*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Just ordered

Cloud Gateway Ultra (was waiting for this to come back into stock)
USW-Lite-8-POE
USW-Flex-Mini

Bought a U6 Pro last week.

Been 3D Printing wall mounts for these, I know some come with wall mounts but I like 3D Printing, just a few more items to print. Looking forward to setting it all up this weekend.

Is the UDM-Pro likely to be around much longer? Seems like an older product, wouldn’t want to buy for it to be replaced soon.

I want something that can eventually support 2.5-10Gbit WAN for a bit of future-proofing. About to go to 1Gbps symmetrical. I have a rack already but currently using a MikroTik hEX with a managed switch and UniFi APs (controller running on server).

Just ordered

USW-Lite-8-POE
USW-Flex-Mini

Been 3D Printing wall mounts for these, I know some come with wall mounts but I like 3D Printing, just a few more items to print. Looking forward to setting it all up this weekend.
Almost exactly the same as the system that I'm looking to build. Just need some time to sit down and get it all ordered - seems to be the best mix of gear

Is the UDM-Pro likely to be around much longer? Seems like an older product, wouldn’t want to buy for it to be replaced soon.

I want something that can eventually support 2.5-10Gbit WAN for a bit of future-proofing. About to go to 1Gbps symmetrical. I have a rack already but currently using a MikroTik hEX with a managed switch and UniFi APs (controller running on server).
UDM is getting on now, but perfectly capable but perhaps not at 2.5 Gbps and above. It might be worth buying used in case they replace it. If you want an NVR they recently released the UDM Pro Max but it does cost a bit more.

Last edited:
Just ordered

USW-Lite-8-POE
USW-Flex-Mini

I printed this one for the Cloud Gateway Ultra as I wanted to mount it to the underside of a shelf and it means the screen is the correct way up. Not actually had chance to install it yet but it printed really well.

x7aNTCq.jpeg

I printed this one for the Cloud Gateway Ultra as I wanted to mount it to the underside of a shelf and it means the screen is the correct way up. Not actually had chance to install it yet but it printed really well.

I printed a different mount for the CGU last night but am not sure I like it as it seems to me it may scratch the Gateway. I will print the one you have tonight.

UDM is getting on now, but perfectly capable but perhaps not at 2.5 Gbps and above. It might be worth buying used in case they replace it. If you want an NVR they recently released the UDM Pro Max but it does cost a bit more.

Thanks. The Pro Max is more than I need. I am thinking of NVR but don’t need redundancy that much. Not even sure I need IDS/IPS for at home to be honest. I’m sure there are opinions on that. I’ll have some ports exposed for services on my server and VPN. I’d just ideally like something robust that will let me have line speed routing (1-2 Gbps for now at least, connection supports up to 10 in future) and ideally play more nicely together with my unifi APs and host the controller software. NVR and doorbell would be good but probably not until my Hive Camera is bricked next year. I’d also like to host a WireGuard VPN. Maybe there’s a more basic UniFi product that supports all that but I’m not sure what it is.

I don’t see a lot of second hand availability, I guess people keep them or seemingly sell them near RRP!

I have to say MikroTik are better value but the cognitive load of routerOS plus everything else is a bit much unless I was going all-in on their kit, but they don’t have as wide a lineup.

In which case a UDM-SE might be a good fit. You get PoE, NVR etc. I just doubt it would do 10 Gb WAN with all the bells and whistles. Threat prevention is pointless for home users IMO, just don’t be lax with the firewall

I printed a different mount for the CGU last night but am not sure I like it as it seems to me it may scratch the Gateway. I will print the one you have tonight.
In case it has any bearing on how you mount the CGU. An update ago they enabled the gyro inside it, so the screen will auto rotate depending on orientation.

Last edited:
I received my switches and Cloud Gateway Ultra today, I'll be setting it all up at the weekend, and all three come with European plugs. Not an issue in itself as the company I bought them from included a UK plug lead to fit the 8 port switch and 2 EU to UK plugs for the Mini switch and the CGU. I plan on running the mini switch via POE but looking at the plug for the CGU it's output is 5v 3a.

My question is, as I also bought a new 8 way surge protector which has a USB C on it that, according to the bumph, outputs 5v 3a, could I run the CGU from that USB on the surge protector? I don't want to run it from there and then some time later when it's doing more work that my idea to run it from that was foolish.

I'm currently running a UAP-nanoHD and an UAP-AC-LR so older kit but its been working fine for ages. I plan to start streaming games via WiFi so would it be worth upgrading one to get better performance?

Slightly off-topic, but my ping is not that great for FTTP at 17ms to Cloudflare DNS. The Tracert is below; am i comprehending it properly and that almost all of the delay is added on the first hop outside my network? And i guess it's because my ISP cheaped out on routing?

Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

Tracing route to one.one.one.one [1.0.0.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms unifi.localdomain [192.168.1.1]
2 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms 100.114.192.2
3 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms 10.251.255.97
4 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms ixmanchester.as13335.net [195.66.244.71]
5 18 ms 43 ms 17 ms 162.158.32.11
6 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms one.one.one.one [1.0.0.1]

Trace complete.

Last edited: