*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

I'm debating the replacement of a still working but aging SonicWall TZ for my hone network.

I currently have 2 x AC-LR and 1 x U6-Lite APs with the controller running on a small Ubuntu VM. I do sometimes use the SSL-VPN functionality of the SonicWall to tunnel all traffic when on holiday (for instance watching the BBC Olympic coverage from France this summer).

If I stick with the Unifi stack, it seems my choices are:

1) UXG-Lite - approx £130. Only single WAN but I'm unlikely to get a second connection. Currently on 80/20 FTTC which is the best available in our village until FTTP arrives at some point. Even what that lands I can't see a need for the top-tier packages, so 1Gbps WAN performance limit is unlikely to be an issue. I keep the controller VM running. Single LAN also not a problem as I have a switch next to my current SonicWall and thus only use two ports on that.

2) UXG-Max - approx £200. More performance / physical port capacity than the UXG-Lite.

3) UCG-Ultra - approx £120. Dual WAN option, 4 x LAN. Built-in Unifi controller. 2.5G WAN port seems pointless given the LAN ports are all 1G but, as above, not going to be an issue for me.

At first glance the UXG-Lite seems redundant now with the UCG-Ultra which has more features and physical capacity at the same price. Do you have to use the controller built-in to the UCG? Though it seems to daft to have a VM to occasionally poke for an upgrade when the UCG can do it all. As I don't need the performance & 2.5G ports on the UXG-Max, it seems the UCG-Ultra is the best option.

Have I missed anything obvious?
Yes, you have to use the controller built into the UCG-Ultra. The 2.5Gbit WAN port on the UCG-Ultra is pointless since it connects to the 4 port switch internally on a 1Gbit connection. From what I've read the VPN performance is poor on the UXG-Lite due to its dual core 1Ghz CPU compared to the quad core 1.5Ghz CPU of the UCG-Ultra and UXG-Max. You haven't missed anything obvious.

Speedtests are irrelevant as they're likely UDP. The issue is TCP traffic inside a TCP tunnel. You can get TCP Meltdown.

Use UDP.

Reading that explanation makes sense, thanks, two protocols with error correction, one inside the other, great info.

I have both Nord UPD and TCP setup and switching between them is a doddle.

Back
Top Bottom