*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Surely it's fairly well known now that Ubiquiti partly exists to deliver random products that their CEO thinks he needs, and then rather than building an L3 switch with SFP+ interfaces on and a couple of 100Gb that supports MLAG and VRRP they go off and make a car charger or a Sonos clone.

I'm sure the usual influencers will have an amplifier turn up at their doors and tell us how good they are before the product range is dropped in four years, they are infuriating to deal with if you want anything more from your network than an SMB router on a stick.

Last edited:
Surely it's fairly well known now that Ubiquiti partly exists to deliver random products that their CEO thinks he needs, and then rather than building an L3 switch with SFP+ interfaces on and a couple of 100Gb that supports MLAG and VRRP they go off and make a car charger or a Sonos clone.
While i'm sure that's absolutely not how they plan products, 100% that's what it feels like and always has done :cry:

One day he'll visit Japan and use one of their Toto toilets
As an owner of a UK custom-built 'multi function bathroom appliance' one of my first requests was 'Can it say 'Konichiwa!' when I walk in?' The sales guy didn't look impressed, so it's now a future Pi/speaker job :D

Last edited:
You know when a networking company stretches itself a little too thin, and tries to have a finger in one too many pies? https://store.ui.com/us/en/products/upl-amp.

Yes, I still want one :p.

E: missed that someone had posted it above!

In other news, the wallet is feeling somewhat lighter having purchased 3 Dream Machine SEs and DACs. I'm going to wait a bit to get new switches. No money left this month :p.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RSR
Power amp has:
130W per channel at 8 ohms
260W per channel at 4 ohms

Wonder if that's peak or RMS. Decent numbers either way, be interesting to see the reviews.

Gotta be RMS because they'd be pretty pony if they were peak outputs. The market will be an IT department being asked to add background music to an area, or high end homes. I can't see them displacing stuff like Biamp Tesira, BSS etc.

incase anyone is interested got edgeos 3.0 rc8 on an edgerouter 4 and get wireguard speed of around 210 up and down with edgerouter cpu usage around 55%. limitation is my phone which does this speed on wireguard on opnsense on n100 box. phone is xaiomi redmi note 9s (arm a76 cores)

edit:
tested this on a vm and wireguard does 435mbit on speedtest.net with cpu usage on edgerouter 4 pegged at 99% not too shabby.

Last edited:
incase anyone is interested got edgeos 3.0 rc8 on an edgerouter 4 and get wireguard speed of around 210 up and down with edgerouter cpu usage around 55%. limitation is my phone which does this speed on wireguard on opnsense on n100 box. phone is xaiomi redmi note 9s (arm a76 cores)
It’s painful browsing second hand auction sites and seeing the mighty ER4 going for a price I’d have sacrificed my wife and kids for when they released. They are a great router and a huge step forwards from the Lite.

Shame they never really did much with them and lost interest just as they started getting good.

Last edited:
It’s painful browsing second hand auction sites and seeing the mighty ER4 going for a price I’d have sacrificed my wife and kids for when they released. They are a great router and a huge step forwards from the Lite.

Shame they never really did much with them and lost interest just as they started getting good.
Yep, I suspect prices will probably rise up a bit when the final release of edge os 3 hits these out of the release candidate stage . Already the cavium models got everything working and it's just the mediatek ones that need some fixes before prime time.

Id like to see from UI switches along the same lines of some of the QNAP units, the qsw-m7308r-4x for example, 4 x 100gb and 8 x 25gb :-

Or the qsw-m5216-1t which has 16 x 25gb and 1 x 10gb :-

Is there much benefit in having a UI switch if you're running a router/gateway with controller? Any integration benefits? I found my mix and match approach means I have to undersand terminology for VLANs across 3 different vendors, which is a bit challenging sometimes. I agree the UI selection isn't amazing, but they are also very expensive if there aren't many 'ecosystem' benefits.

Is there much benefit in having a UI switch if you're running a router/gateway with controller? Any integration benefits? I found my mix and match approach means I have to undersand terminology for VLANs across 3 different vendors, which is a bit challenging sometimes. I agree the UI selection isn't amazing, but they are also very expensive if there aren't many 'ecosystem' benefits.
Port management with UniFi is great, and it's annoying having other vendors. However I just set my Mikrotik up as a dumb switch and it's forwarding tagged VLANs perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom