*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Ahah a limit of ppsk I’ve found: you can’t use the WiFi scheduler on individual network keys. Damn. I like to turn off the kids network after 8pm.

Will have to go back to having a separate ssid for them, which feels far less elegant.

Further to this, thinking out loud rather than trying it as I’m not at home at the moment… can I assign different dns servers to the vlans that the ppsk direct users onto? Feel it should be fine because the vlans are still networks in UniFi.

Last edited:
Be interesting to know the overall experience because I’m considering it.
I have a UDM-SE, G4 cameras and a G4 Doorbell. Works a treat as well as the app. I'm admin and I have my wife/mother-in-law as users so they get notifications for the doorbell or can scrub through the timeline of the cameras. The only issue so far is the doorbell, the WiFi signal can be a bit flaky sometimes but it seems others have had issues. Got a purple WD 8TB in the SE and think it gives me 2-3 months of footage. It's not too far from our bedroom and you can't really hear the HD clicking but it does make a sound. An 8 port POE switch will do for now but I can see myself needing more in the future and with the SE having 2.5GB WAN and 2 more ports which can be used for WAN or 10GB LAN, it should do nicely for the future.

Edit - I'm going to need to buy some replacement rack ears for my SE. Are rack ears enough support because the SE is quite heavy. I've found an Etsy seller selling some but was put off as they're 3D printed so not metal and in the description they recommend buying a support shelf.

Edit - should finish my coffee and read the post properly :o :cry:

Edit - I found the cage nuts for the 6U rack next to it so clearly left them there for the future and now some extra ones I bought (after reading standard ones are fiddly) in the shed. No sign of the rack ears. Thing is, I remember the contents of the SE box been out when we first moved in but things got moved around a lot and not sure why I didn't put them back in the box. Could easily have got mixed/accidentally thrown out as a lot of tradesmen were in and out. One more look and then I'll bite the £30 bullet.

Edit - wahey, found them. In a little brown box that must have come out of the main SE box.

Last edited:
I have a UDM-SE, G4 cameras and a G4 Doorbell. Works a treat as well as the app. I'm admin and I have my wife/mother-in-law as users so they get notifications for the doorbell or can scrub through the timeline of the cameras. The only issue so far is the doorbell, the WiFi signal can be a bit flaky sometimes but it seems others have had issues. Got a purple WD 8TB in the SE and think it gives me 2-3 months of footage. It's not too far from our bedroom and you can't really hear the HD clicking but it does make a sound. An 8 port POE switch will do for now but I can see myself needing more in the future and with the SE having 2.5GB WAN and 2 more ports which can be used for WAN or 10GB LAN, it should do nicely for the future.

Edit - I'm going to need to buy some replacement rack ears for my SE. Are rack ears enough support because the SE is quite heavy. I've found an Etsy seller selling some but was put off as they're 3D printed so not metal and in the description they recommend buying a support shelf.
He's asking about running a UDM or UDM-SE, and an NVR at the same time.

I've currently got two FlexHD access points and they're pretty unreliable as I move around the house although I've tuned them over time. I've noticed that the U7 Pro Wall device is now out, and it's possible to mount it using a table stand and so this could be a good substitute for my FlexHDs that I use in that way. I currently have one upstairs on the north side of the house and one downstairs on the south side of the house. I have structured cabling into most rooms and so I can deploy these where it makes sense, but I can't really install the ceiling mounted variety. What are peoples thoughts on the U7 pro device, does it stand up well against the other more tried and tested devices? I have the Pro Max 24 PoE in a cabinet in the loft so already have 2.5gb PoE available to power them. Thanks for any advice

Nice and easy initial setup, CGW Max, USW-E Switch and a U7 Pro all working perfectly. Fairly default config at the moment, as I needed the Internet back up and running, but will be having a mooch around the settings over the weekend. Need to get them setup on something other than a box too, but that's effort on a Friday.

Yes, you can. Just set it on the network.
There is no WiFi schedule on the individual vlan networks.

What I mean is if I vlans off all connections made to the single ssid, then the password for my kids vlan doesn’t allow me to set a separate WiFi scheduler to the rest on the same ssid. Does it? I can’t find the option if so.

Last edited:
I've currently got two FlexHD access points and they're pretty unreliable as I move around the house although I've tuned them over time. I've noticed that the U7 Pro Wall device is now out, and it's possible to mount it using a table stand and so this could be a good substitute for my FlexHDs that I use in that way. I currently have one upstairs on the north side of the house and one downstairs on the south side of the house. I have structured cabling into most rooms and so I can deploy these where it makes sense, but I can't really install the ceiling mounted variety. What are peoples thoughts on the U7 pro device, does it stand up well against the other more tried and tested devices? I have the Pro Max 24 PoE in a cabinet in the loft so already have 2.5gb PoE available to power them. Thanks for any advice

I run four unifi ap's a u6 enterprise 1st floor (ceiling), a u7 pro on the ground floor rear (wall), AC-Pro at the front door (wall) and lastly a AC-LR at the garage at the end of a 30m garden (wall). The hand off between ap's is great no problem. Can't really comment on the 2.5gbe on the u7 pro I only have 1gbe poe. I haven't tuned them, just adopted and let them run. Works well like this as I have two to four ethernet drops in each room and everything that can be hard wired is also no one uses wifi6e or wifi7 in my locality.

Does anyone know how often the Lite 8 PoE comes into stock in the UK store?

Ideally I want a UK power supply but, if I'll be waiting weeks for it, I'll just get it from the EU store instead.

Quick question. When I was buying my DMSE. One of the appeals was configuring a VPN per device.

I’ve got a Surfshark account, and if needed have a small Nuc running Proxmox if I need to setup any other systems.

My main question before I start digging into setting it up. How easy is it to change the VPN IP? The main reason is to watch UK tv from here in Spain but occasionally we have to switch IP as BBC etc flag the previous one as a VPN. With the app on a fire stick it’s easy for my wife to do.
Is it going to become hideously complicated trying to do it through the router?

I got mine from Broadband Buyer and they sent a UK plugged lead with it. Though for the CGU and the Flex Mini they sent adaptor plugs.

Hmm, I actually emailed them to query and they responded with this:

"Please be advised that Ubiquiti products are supplied with an EU plug however we do provide the UK power clip with the goods."

Hmm, I actually emailed them to query and they responded with this:

"Please be advised that Ubiquiti products are supplied with an EU plug however we do provide the UK power clip with the goods."

As the 8 lite has a powerbrick, and the plug part is separate, they included a 3 pin uk plug to that smaller infinity symbol 2 pin small kettle lead.

Quick question. When I was buying my DMSE. One of the appeals was configuring a VPN per device.

I’ve got a Surfshark account, and if needed have a small Nuc running Proxmox if I need to setup any other systems.

My main question before I start digging into setting it up. How easy is it to change the VPN IP? The main reason is to watch UK tv from here in Spain but occasionally we have to switch IP as BBC etc flag the previous one as a VPN. With the app on a fire stick it’s easy for my wife to do.
Is it going to become hideously complicated trying to do it through the router?
You upload the surfshark configuration file or settings and configure a separate VPN for each server. Then create a policy route for each VPN gateway and add devices as required.

As the 8 lite has a powerbrick, and the plug part is separate, they included a 3 pin uk plug to that smaller infinity symbol 2 pin small kettle lead.

I have two Lite 8 PoE switches and both have the two-pin EU plug integrated into the adapter, which is exactly what I wanted to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom