*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Don't the Flex Mini switches has some limitations around VLANs, I think one or all?

I would consider one for my desk but I test various setups/devices before deploying them so if it doesn't match the larger switches its a no go for me.

Don't the Flex Mini switches has some limitations around VLANs, I think one or all?

I would consider one for my desk but I test various setups/devices before deploying them so if it doesn't match the larger switches its a no go for me.

Yes, they have a limited feature set compared to the normal switches but for things behind a TV or in the shed they are fine.

This may be a helpful guides:

Last edited:
How many 2.5gb devices do you have.
Quite a few, plus it's helpful for uplinks.

Here is my current home setup:

ZifZBVQ.jpg

Last edited:
Had my SE for a good while now and love it. HDD being noisy is hardly the fault of the Router. Mines an old WD Green drive. Im wondering if a 2TB SSD would work.
Mines under the stairs at the minute, my NAS is louder. Probably going to move it to the garage eventually.

What firewall stuff are you missing, it does everything I need.
Oh just some of the more family oriented features that Firewalla has. Device quarantines, per device rules, nothing major. I'm not too sad, really happy overall with the SE and setting up my VPNs was easy.

Oh just some of the more family oriented features that Firewalla has. Device quarantines, per device rules, nothing major. I'm not too sad, really happy overall with the SE and setting up my VPNs was easy.
You can do per device rules. I have a few on mine to stop all traffic for certain devices unless it's via the VPN.
Sure you could do quarantine as well.

Quite a few, plus it's helpful for uplinks.

Here is my current home setup:

ZifZBVQ.jpg
I only have a NAS and main PC that can do 2.5gb.
NAS can do 2x2.5gb actually so that will be nice. Will probably get an AP that benefits from it eventually but not many other devices.

Looking for a bit of advice. I have 1gb fibre from brsk being installed soon and want to sort out the WiFi in my house so devices can make full use of the additional bandwidth.

I currently have two amplifi hd's with wireless backhaul (cat5 in the house is not an option). WiFi on the main wired HD is good - around 400mpbs. On the second mesh (two floors up), the speeds are much lower as expected - around 40mbps. That's never been an issue because that's still faster than our current internet and it's only my son's pc that really ever uses it.

What I'm planning to move to:

2 x U7 Pro AP's
2 x Screen beam MoCA adapters 2.5gb

My plan is to keep the brsk router that comes with the ont and disable the wireless on it. I will use the moca adapters to chain the two AP's over coax for a more solid backhaul and have one on the ground floor and one on the middle floor.

Questions:

Is this doable?
Should I get a 2.5gb switch? The only devices initially needing this are the two AP's
Is there a better solution?

I'd love to lay some 5e, but it's just not possible, hence the moca adapters to make use of the extensive coax (not currently used - stream everything).

I've already ordered the moca adapters to test with my amplifi routers, but have held off on the U7's. I can't decide between them or sticking with a traditional mesh like the deco xe75 (would rather future proof with 7 though and they are 6e).

[Edit] Missed that the U7 pro only has a single 2.5gb port, so assuming I could get away with the 5-port unifi switch to ensure I get the 2.5gb backhaul between AP's. I don't think the brsk router has 2.5gb ports to be able to take a dedicated switches place?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom