*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Does anybody have experience with both the usw-lite-8-poe and the usw-8-60w and have any reasons to choose one over the other?
I've currently got an Edgeswitch 10XP that isn't part of the Unifi product line and can't be controlled by the Unifi Network Server and has to be configured separately.
Which isn't a problem but it's just slightly annoying not having centralised visibility along with a U6+ AP, I also want to play around with configuring VLANs without tagging the ports etc.

Oh and the 10XP doesn't support 802.3af POE so having to use an injector for the AP which is also annoying!

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Does anybody have experience with both the usw-lite-8-poe and the usw-8-60w and have any reasons to choose one over the other?
I've currently got an Edgeswitch 10XP that isn't part of the Unifi product line and can't be controlled by the Unifi Network Server and has to be configured separately.
Which isn't a problem but it's just slightly annoying not having centralised visibility along with a U6+ AP, I also want to play around with configuring VLANs without tagging the ports etc.

Oh and the 10XP doesn't support 802.3af POE so having to use an injector for the AP which is also annoying!

Thanks in advance
The poe ports on the 8-60w are only poe, the lite has poe/poe+, so if you need that go with the lite. So you have 30w max output per channel on the lite vs 15w on the 8-60w.

Last edited:
Reactions: ryu
So I've just setup my unifi NVR. As its a separate device (from the UDM SE) I've gone for putting it - and the cameras - on the default network for now just to get things up and running. When I had the UDM SE running protect I could have the cameras on a different (isolated) vlan but with the SE as the gateway, and access protect through direct connect, so no real issues. However with a separate NVR I can't quite work it out.

I don't really mind - persay - at the moment sticking the cameras on the default unifi vlan, however I'd like to take advantage of the new onvif functionality if they ever bring detections to third party cameras its a significantly cheaper way for me to upgrade to better 4k cameras across the board. But if I do that I'd definitely want the cameras on their own VLAN to be able to make sure they're isolated.

So really the question is how best to approach the Cameras and NVR being on their own vlan, but me being able to access the cameras from certain devices on other vlans?
My NVR is on a different VLAN to the cameras. There’s nothing special to it, it just worked.

My NVR is on a different VLAN to the cameras. There’s nothing special to it, it just worked.
Weird. For reference I put my cameras into their own vlan and the nvr was on the default, and it couldn’t detect them. Guess ill try again.

Do you block all or allow all? Use isolation? The second I put the cameras onto their own vlan, they go offline from Protect.

Last edited:
Weird. For reference I put my cameras into their own vlan and the nvr was on the default, and it couldn’t detect them. Guess ill try again.

Do you block all or allow all? Use isolation? The second I put the cameras onto their own vlan, they go offline from Protect.
Nothing is blocked between those networks. Make sure they’re not isolated etc.

Nothing is blocked between those networks. Make sure they’re not isolated etc.
Hmm, ok, but is there any point having them on their own vlan if they're not isolated?

I'd be happy to have the unifi cameras just on the default network for sake of ease otherwise, but I want to eventually replace all the unifi cameras when/if notifications are supported through onvif.

For the record, before the NVR arrived I put the cameras on an isolated vlan (using vlan magic) and it just worked without issue.

Has anyone got an NVR and have protect in EA, but the cameras/devices in official? I can't seem to set that, and I'm sure I used to be able to set that under the SE.

Hmm, ok, but is there any point having them on their own vlan if they're not isolated?

I'd be happy to have the unifi cameras just on the default network for sake of ease otherwise, but I want to eventually replace all the unifi cameras when/if notifications are supported through onvif.

For the record, before the NVR arrived I put the cameras on an isolated vlan (using vlan magic) and it just worked without issue.
Generally for management and to stop IoT devices sniffing traffic.

Can you use the existing coax to pull through some cat6?

From what I can tell of the brsk routers it depends on what they're shipping to you, do you know which model? I can't see any that support 2.5gbe/10gbe/multigig though. So yes you'd need a switch if you wanted the higher speeds. To be honest though 400mpbs on wifi isn't bad at all, do you need more?
Unfortunately not - it's a large house (three floors) and a hive of coax. I'd end up having to cut holes everywhere to feed it through without snags.

I actually just bought a Deco BE65 three pack, but performance is worse than my old amplifi HD routers... So it's already been returned.

As for 400 being fast enough, you're right, but that's not the point. I want as fast as possible (this is overclockers after all ).

How does this sound?

Unifi cloud gateway max to replace the brsk router outright.

Two AP's with Poe injectors. One using moca, the other using normal cat 5, both terminating on the gateway.

I'd the moca doesn't work as expected, then I'll just bite the bullet and start making holes in the wall

Last edited:
Has anyone used those punch down style cable extensions?
Like these.

This would allow me to move everything from under the stairs to in the garage.

Last edited:
Like these.

Yes, used a fair number of these, well cat5e ones. Needed to extend a bunch of cables which were fixed, so couldn’t pull through new ones. No issues with them.

Like these.

I used the ones from Cablemonkey recently - did the job perfectly to extend some outdoor cable I needed to be around 2m longer and just joined on some indoor cable on the inside to make the overall run longer.

Like these.

Yep we've used them a few times in a work environment with no issues.

Obviously better to rerun a cable completely rather than join, but on occasions where it's impractical (e.g. undocumented cable routes, emergency repairs, or time constrained projects) then they've been a godsend.

Great, I can run all the downstairs ones again, bit any upstairs would mean taking carpet and floor boards up again so really not going to happen.

While we're on the subject - Is there any issue using cat6 couplings and faceplates with cat5e cable?
We've mixed and matched Cat5e/Cat6 patch panels, euro mod faceplates, bulk cable, and patch leads (again at work) with no issues.

Again it's very much a "don't do it unless you have to", but in all likelihood it will probably be fine.

In marginal environments e.g. expecting PoE over a 100m cable runs, or with lots of interference then I could see it potentially being an issue, but for home use it should be fine.

Yes, the cables are a different spec.
In theory yes - they should be a different size (AWG) conductor. However if you look across 20 different brands of Cat6 (particularly in Patch leads) you will get 20 different constructions including a large amount that use Cat5e conductor sizes.

I did think the gauge of the wire may be different spec. But as @Armageus said in the real world i guess manufacturers cut corners to save cost.
I didn’t say it wouldn’t work but no one can say if you’ll get issues or not.

Have I personally terminated CAT6A cable into a CAT6 keystone? Yes. Did it work? It did indeed.

Would I make do with what I had to see if it worked? Probably.

Would I mix and match when buying new? No.

My Flex Mini 2.5G arrived today, just plugged it in and all good, nothing exciting but a relatively cheap upgrade to more than double the speeds between those devices.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom