*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I think the energy saving is a feature of the phone. On our Apple devices, they show as connected but power saving unless they are actually transmitting or receiving data. I definitely think its more likely a phone issue than an AP issue. A 5G-only SSID will force the phone connect at 5G however I would probably side with the people who asking what the benefit is forcing the phone onto 5GHz unless you are seeing an issue with stuttering video streaming or something like that.

I suspect your correct. I haven't changed it yet. As pointed out there is probably no need and I'm just looking at headline numbers

Soldato
I just feel that once UniFi starts getting expensive it's playing in a market dominated by other vendors. They may feel that their products are at a certain level now where they can introduce higher specced options at prices inline with the vendors they initially set out to "disrupt", but it can be brutal. Once you're at £300 per AP you open up a lot of options.

According to Ubiquiti even at £300 the HD is cheap compared to the competition for the features and hardware.

Soldato
I just feel that once UniFi starts getting expensive it's playing in a market dominated by other vendors. They may feel that their products are at a certain level now where they can introduce higher specced options at prices inline with the vendors they initially set out to "disrupt", but it can be brutal. Once you're at £300 per AP you open up a lot of options.

I know what you mean. In my original draft I was going to point out that I felt there was a certain amount of price-gouging going on but then I thought it wasn't especially germaine to the discussion and deleted it.

Associate
Having read about Ubiquiti about a year or so ago I got an AC-LR AP to give fast connectivity to my laptop in living room and then bought a 2nd to help give overall house coverage. I still had an Asus RT56 that I'd used before connected to a VM SH2 in modem mode. Over past few days internet connections had been dropping regularily + PCs seemed to be losing/failing to regain DHCP settings so I suspected RT56 was failing so switched the SH2 to router mode and eliminated the RT56 and things do seem to have improved. So I'm thinking about replacing the RT56 as it had the useful feature of being able to run a VPN connection so when I've been overseas on business/holiday I've been able to connect via it and appear to be in the UK for connections to iplayer etc. As I no longer really need the wifi connection from where the RT56 was (the AC-LR's are sufficinet now) I'd wondered about going further down the Ubiquiti path with an Edgerouter X ... I'm assuming it must be possible to configure one of these to have the same functionality (and doubtless much more) - had a search to find any guides how to do this but not had a great deal of success - so (a) anyone know where to find the incantations that would be needed and (b) is it really worth the hassle or should I just get something like my previous RT56 that already has the VPN setup availlable on its settings page (while having something I can play around with and customize is very enticing there comes a point where maybe something that does the job out of the box might be less hassle - sort of like why my wife used to complain about the way I upgraded our PCs and asked "why can't you just buy a ready built PC like everyonbe else"!)

Man of Honour
Personally I'd get another ASUS router. Edgerouter is good, but it needs you to know what you're doing and the config on an ASUS router would be easier.

The software on my Edgerouter Lite feels very beta to what is in something like pfsense for example and even the ASUS firmware and various 3rd party incarnations such as Merlin.

Soldato
Having read about Ubiquiti about a year or so ago I got an AC-LR AP to give fast connectivity to my laptop in living room and then bought a 2nd to help give overall house coverage. I still had an Asus RT56 that I'd used before connected to a VM SH2 in modem mode. Over past few days internet connections had been dropping regularily + PCs seemed to be losing/failing to regain DHCP settings so I suspected RT56 was failing so switched the SH2 to router mode and eliminated the RT56 and things do seem to have improved. So I'm thinking about replacing the RT56 as it had the useful feature of being able to run a VPN connection so when I've been overseas on business/holiday I've been able to connect via it and appear to be in the UK for connections to iplayer etc. As I no longer really need the wifi connection from where the RT56 was (the AC-LR's are sufficinet now) I'd wondered about going further down the Ubiquiti path with an Edgerouter X ... I'm assuming it must be possible to configure one of these to have the same functionality (and doubtless much more) - had a search to find any guides how to do this but not had a great deal of success - so (a) anyone know where to find the incantations that would be needed and (b) is it really worth the hassle or should I just get something like my previous RT56 that already has the VPN setup availlable on its settings page (while having something I can play around with and customize is very enticing there comes a point where maybe something that does the job out of the box might be less hassle - sort of like why my wife used to complain about the way I upgraded our PCs and asked "why can't you just buy a ready built PC like everyonbe else"!)

I think the EdgeRouter X will suffer a little when using it as a OpenVPN server, its not really that powerful

as a router its a solid choice though, as its just a router, it doesn't have fancy cloud services, no printer server, no built file server options, no built in wireless so it will be more stable

I have a EdgeRouter Lite and use an old atom netbook with ubuntu and have OpenVPN on it which works perfectly fine.

The EdgeRouter can be a little daunting at first but its a good OS to learn and plenty of help out there

this chap is great: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD-QkofF-bFBAcI83U8ZZeg

Caporegime
The non-UniFi routers are good *routers*. But that isn't what a majority of people posting here are actually after when they say "I want a router" - they're more looking to replace a home gateway type product.

Associate
Thanks for the replies ... looks like going for another Asus is the way to go. Given that the router is something that pretty much has to work (if only to avoid the "where's the internet gone" questions from the rest of the family) then probably don't want to be tinkering with!

Man of Honour
Thanks for the replies ... looks like going for another Asus is the way to go. Given that the router is something that pretty much has to work (if only to avoid the "where's the internet gone" questions from the rest of the family) then probably don't want to be tinkering with!
You can't go wrong with kit from ASUS, I ran it for years and only changed as I have money to burn and I like to tinker.

Associate
You can't go wrong with kit from ASUS, I ran it for years and only changed as I have money to burn and I like to tinker.
Looks like it might have been a false alarm ... after a bit of googling decided to revert the SH2 to modem mode, put the RT56 back in place but then update it to the latest firmware and it seems to have been working fine since then (maybe it just needed to be powered down and have a few days rest!)

Soldato
Is anyone else having issues with accessing the Cloud Controller? All 3 of my systems have been showing offline for the past 24 hours. UBNT forums indicate they had a problem but it's resolved now. I physically can't get to my systems, which all seem to be working, but before I book plane tickets I'm wondering if anyone else saw their controller go offline and came back up by itself?

Associate
Is anyone else having issues with accessing the Cloud Controller? All 3 of my systems have been showing offline for the past 24 hours.

Yes I had that problem at work, multiple sites with cloud controllers were showing as offline. I had to VPN in to the sites and access the cloudkey, restart, and it worked again.

Associate
I have just replaced one of my access points with the lite one and I am so amazed. The control panel is fab and tells me so much I am thinking about replacing our switch to ubiquiti one too and wondering what you recommend to get? I need max 16 ports. Will it also tell me bandwidth on each port and what is connecting to it?

Soldato
Bandwidth, yes. What is connected - yes, if it has ID then it will ID the device.

If you need 16 ports then buy the 24 port switch. US-24-150 PoE. If you need SFP+ then it has to be a 48 port switch. Which starts to get pricey.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

It won't give you the bandwidth usage like the wifi stuff. It will show you every connected client (wireless and wired), but only the wireless clients will show bandwidth.

There's a hidden report that gives you switch port stats, which is close enough, but it's not as easy to see.

Soldato
It won't give you the bandwidth usage like the wifi stuff. It will show you every connected client (wireless and wired), but only the wireless clients will show bandwidth.

There's a hidden report that gives you switch port stats, which is close enough, but it's not as easy to see.

It depends what you mean by bandwidth. On the wireless connection, you can Speedtest the wireless connection. On a cable connection you will always have the full bandwidth of that connection available and it will show 10/100/1000/10Gb S or FDX depending on what device is plugged into what port on the switch. If you want to know the speed of the data flowing from the internet then you do need the USG but that just pings UBNTs servers which respond at sub gigabit speeds so the most you ever see is the speed of UBNTs server connection.

Back
Top Bottom