*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I've just ordered two Amplifi HD routers to sort out the wifi coverage in my house. Currently have the EE Brightbox 2 and the wifi drop off is abysmal - on the second / third floor I'm lucky to get 1mb down.

I also have an IP phone for work, which is connected via powerline adapter on the third floor. It regularly cuts out and requires the plugs & BB rebooting. I'm hoping with the second router set up in bridging mode, I'll be able to connect directly to one of the ethernet ports and finally have a stable environment.

It's quite sad how excited I am about these cubes. Let's hope they live up to expectations!

Soldato
The Ubiquiti Amplifi range seems to get great coverage on here for home uses. I'm currently on a Vodafone Connect router and nothing else and the performance has been pretty poor. We're in an old Victorian terrace at the moment with solid brick walls and the router is currently in the back corner. We're also due to move house to an even older house with 50cm stone walls so i'd like to start getting a solution in place for where i am with a hope that it's suitable for the new house too.

I'm thinking of getting 2 of the Amplifi routers. Having one connected to my Vodafone router and then another in the room above. Connected either wirelessly or via a powerline adaptor (don't want to start drilling holes to run cables given we're moving out soon).

My main question is can i mix and match products from the Ubiquiti range? They seem to do the Amplifi products and then sell Access Points in another range. I presume they'd still work.

Finally, would you say i'm right in having 2 routers, or would i get better covered by using 1 router and 2 of the wireless access points (assuming no ethernet requirement)

Soldato
I've just installed the latest beta release of Unifi, v5.7.18. There's one thing in the change log in particular that I'm really pleased to see and will cut down on questions on the Ubnt forum when it is released:

Display downgrade button if lower version is detected.

No more upgrade buttons that actually downgrade the firmware. About time.

Don
One small mistake to be aware of..

When you mouse-over downgrade, the label says upgrade. If you have compact view, you could easily downgrade by mistake!

Will be fixed in the next release.

Soldato
You crazy thrill seekers riding the cutting edge of software releases! Makes me feel so boring sitting on the “stable” repo version.

I noticed they pushed 5.6.30 then didn’t push it to repo due to issues though.

Associate
My house is a small 3bed 1930 build so brick walls and a killer for wifi signals. At the moment I have 2 seperate networks up and down stairs (using an asus rtn65u and a crappy one from Vodafone) and still have rooms with little to no coverage.

Does anyone see any problems with this setup?

I'm limited with where I can get cables to unfortunately else I'd get rid of the powerline adaptors.

Last edited:
Associate
I think 2 tin cans are better than what I already have.

Regarding the LR v Pro argument. Since my fastest network card is only 867Mbs and I have problems with connection speed would you agree I'd get better speeds off of the LR variant? At most we'll have two people streaming 1080p stuff.

Soldato
Do you mean SSL certificates? You've been able to add SSH keys for ages.

It was Letsencrypt that i meant.

Edge Routers have now gone to 1.10 firmware if anyone has not upgraded, not much new stuff but a ton on bug fixes, including the re-ordering issue that some were getting their panties in a bunch over.

Back
Top Bottom