*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Hi All,

Currently I have a single wireless access point (TP-Link Archer 3200) and virign media (super hub 2 in modem mode).
I was considering sorting out coverage with an extender for garden etc. but think I might as well go the whole hog and swap out the existing one with some ubiquti kit.
I'm also after a bit more control with multiple SSID's.guest networks etc.

I think initially I'll keep the super hub in modem mode (this can deal with DHCP). If I got two UBI-UAP-AC-PRO's do you think that would suffice? (I will mount one in the cabin in the garden). Average size house/garden
I should be able to run a network cable to the one in the house Cat6 POE - though network point in wall is cat5e so will be that end to end),
For the cabin one I also need a gigabit switch (ideally 16 port) - Any suggestions (I have a network rack) I don't really need POE but need it to be quite (so fanless ideally).

I am going to be running some POE CCTV but this will connect direct to the NVR I am yet to buy. I think the only other things on the network that will be POE will be the ubiquiti access points but I think these come with injectors which will suffice due to where I will end up mounting them.

Going forwards I might get the USG if it behaves with Virgin Media and utilise the VPN but I can worry about that later.

So in summary
1. Will two UAP-AC-PROs offer sufficient coverage
2. Any recommedations for a quite network mounted gigabit switch - can go ubiquti if worth it.

Thanks

Soldato
If the SH is in modem mode, what's doing the routing? I assume the TP-Link Archer 3200 is so you may want to consider keeping that and just disabling the wifi.

Will 2 AP-Pro's give sufficient coverage? No idea. We don't know the layout or build materials of your house.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'mounted gigabit switch' but I assume you mean wall mounted? I've never looked for a wall mouted switch but I've got a few Ubiquiti switches here. The US-8, US-8-60W and US-8-150W are silent as they have no cooling fans. The 16 port has a fan but it only kicks in when needed.

A USG should work fine with VM, leave the SH in modem mode and connect it to the WAN port of the USG. Power cycle the SH and job done.

Soldato
Hi All,

Currently I have a single wireless access point (TP-Link Archer 3200) and virign media (super hub 2 in modem mode).
I was considering sorting out coverage with an extender for garden etc. but think I might as well go the whole hog and swap out the existing one with some ubiquti kit.
I'm also after a bit more control with multiple SSID's.guest networks etc.

I think initially I'll keep the super hub in modem mode (this can deal with DHCP). If I got two UBI-UAP-AC-PRO's do you think that would suffice? (I will mount one in the cabin in the garden). Average size house/garden
I should be able to run a network cable to the one in the house Cat6 POE - though network point in wall is cat5e so will be that end to end),
For the cabin one I also need a gigabit switch (ideally 16 port) - Any suggestions (I have a network rack) I don't really need POE but need it to be quite (so fanless ideally).

I am going to be running some POE CCTV but this will connect direct to the NVR I am yet to buy. I think the only other things on the network that will be POE will be the ubiquiti access points but I think these come with injectors which will suffice due to where I will end up mounting them.

Going forwards I might get the USG if it behaves with Virgin Media and utilise the VPN but I can worry about that later.

So in summary
1. Will two UAP-AC-PROs offer sufficient coverage
2. Any recommedations for a quite network mounted gigabit switch - can go ubiquti if worth it.

Thanks

If the VM hub is in modem mode then it won't do any DHCP or resemble any function of a router, you would need to flick it into router mode and disable the wifi.

2 UAP AC Pro's should murder it if your existing TP link is providing reasonable coverage.

With regards to switches, if it doesn't need to be PoE then look at a simple 5 port gigabit switch that can be had for about £20 as there is no benefit in going to a Unifi one if you don't need the PoE (granted it would make the UAP installs a bit tidier but that may not even fit with your chosen deployment).

Associate
Thanks Steveocee.

Yes apologies the Super hub is currently in router mode with WIFI disabled so will remain as that.
Sounds good I'll go for the 2 UAP AC Pros.
I am going to be needing a few more than 5 ports as will be connecting xbox/PS4,few PC's, sonos, TVs etc. to the switch so will need 16-24 really. I have got a ~36U network rack as well so will be patching cables in so needs to be rack mounted.
As mentioned don't need POE but it needs to be quite. Any ideas on specific makes/models that are quite.

Thanks

Soldato
I’m not great with switches but I think the UniFi 24 non Poe is fanless but not really needed. You could get away with a non managed 24port like a to link.

It depends on how sold into the UniFi experience you are.

Last edited:
Associate
Just ordered the 24 port PoE 250w switch for a play around, I've heard they're pretty noisy but it shouldn't be an issue with where it's being located. Already got three access points, if all is well with the switch I'll look into getting a couple of the 8 port PoE switches, and possibly another 24 port.

I'm tempted by the security gateway (with Openreach modem) although I've heard conflicting things about the awkward port forwarding settings, so it's something I'll think about and research in more detail. Another router option I'd be looking to implement would be using it as an OpenVPN server, it's something I currently have on my Asus router for mobile devices to connect to and in doing so minimize open ports - I've heard it can be done, but has to be through SSH.

Soldato
Just ordered the 24 port PoE 250w switch for a play around, I've heard they're pretty noisy but it shouldn't be an issue with where it's being located. Already got three access points, if all is well with the switch I'll look into getting a couple of the 8 port PoE switches, and possibly another 24 port.

I'm tempted by the security gateway (with Openreach modem) although I've heard conflicting things about the awkward port forwarding settings, so it's something I'll think about and research in more detail. Another router option I'd be looking to implement would be using it as an OpenVPN server, it's something I currently have on my Asus router for mobile devices to connect to and in doing so minimize open ports - I've heard it can be done, but has to be through SSH.

Port forwards are very easy with the USG using the Unifi interface.

Associate
I'll do some more research on things. Mainly though the port forwarding isn't a huge issue, I've set up port forwarding on Sky routers for people before, it can't be more awkward than one of them.

The main concern I'll be looking into is the VPN setup as that's something I use a lot on my Asus Tomato router. I use OpenVPN on phones, iPads & laptops when using open networks.

Associate
I'll get the switch setup first and take it from there. I've heard it's been delivered, the issue is I'm stuck in work for another few hours. Once I've got to grips with that (should be simple enough) I'll read up on the gateway and probably go ahead and order it. For OpenVPN I'll probably have a go at going through command prompt, I'm sure if it's command line then it's similar to a Raspberry Pi, and that was simple enough to setup. I've got all the certificates for it so I'm halfway there on getting it up and running. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll come back on here saying how easy it was to setup. Although this friendly forum is always happy to help!

Soldato
I'll get the switch setup first and take it from there. I've heard it's been delivered, the issue is I'm stuck in work for another few hours. Once I've got to grips with that (should be simple enough) I'll read up on the gateway and probably go ahead and order it. For OpenVPN I'll probably have a go at going through command prompt, I'm sure if it's command line then it's similar to a Raspberry Pi, and that was simple enough to setup. I've got all the certificates for it so I'm halfway there on getting it up and running. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll come back on here saying how easy it was to setup. Although this friendly forum is always happy to help!

It's actually a bit hard to read up on anything about the Gateway that's current as Ubiquiti are adding new stuff to the Firmware/Controller all the time, unless you want to read patch notes..

Associate
thinking about getting a USG, I'm on ADSL with a Plusnet's Sagecom router which lacks a modem mode, if i wanted to integrate the USG would it be as simple as:

Cable from Router to USG
Put USG into DMZ on router
Cable from USG into US-8-150
everything into switch.

or will i need to go down the draytek 130 route?

Soldato
thinking about getting a USG, I'm on ADSL with a Plusnet's Sagecom router which lacks a modem mode, if i wanted to integrate the USG would it be as simple as:

Cable from Router to USG
Put USG into DMZ on router
Cable from USG into US-8-150
everything into switch.

or will i need to go down the draytek 130 route?

Don't DMZ, it's a bodge of a bodge.

That'll work but you'll have double NAT which isn't ideal. Rather than forking out for a Draytek 130, have a look on eBay for an HG612 - the Openreach white modem.

Do this ^^

No need for Draytek rubbish at high prices when you can get extremely good stuff cheaply originating from the vendors.

Back
Top Bottom