*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Define 'maxing out'. Compare actual throughput, not just the number of bars you can see.

These access points would usually be used in multiples. Install them across an area and then have the power dialled down to a level where they don't interfere with each other too much.

If you have a building where it isn't possible to entirely cover it with a single access point (given that they're all based on a limited number of chipsets, and they have to conform to the same emission standards) then you may need more than one. Having a managed platform like the UniFi uses makes that much easier.

If you aren't doing what you what with that Archer C7 or the UniFi then you're probably in a situation where multiple APs make sense.

Mobster
Soldato
I bought one because I was advised it would be enough to cover my medium-sized house. It isn't.

My connection is around 45Mbps. I can't max that out on the Unifi everywhere in my house, except when I'm pretty close to the router, same floor. But I can do that with my C7 anyway.

And my C7 carries on working outdoors, the Unifi dies.

Soldato
The UniFi APs aren't magical and the C7 is a pretty decent router to start with.

I bought a Lite with the intention of eventually having one upstairs and one downstairs. Just the one allows me to max out my 60Mbps connection over the entire house even though it isn't properly mounted yet (sat on a shelf in my home office).

If a single AP isn't covering the building then install two or more.

Soldato
I have one of the standard UAP's and it covers my 4 bed house really well. haven't done any throughput testing as I couldn't give a monkeys what the actual figure is, I have good coverage everywhere and it doesn't feel slow.

Mine runs at 20dB (auto) which I *think* even the LR models run maximum if you have them in UK localisation. More dB's at the AP doesn't give your device more dB's!

Soldato
I bought one because I was advised it would be enough to cover my medium-sized house. It isn't.

My connection is around 45Mbps. I can't max that out on the Unifi everywhere in my house, except when I'm pretty close to the router, same floor. But I can do that with my C7 anyway.

have you tried speaking to Unifi support - they are awesome. Their live chat is superb and well worth talking to.

Can't understand unless there is some kind of interference on the wireless channel etc why everyone seems very happy with coverage etc but yours seems so poor.

Associate

Where have you positioned the Unifi in the house? is it bang middle of house? or in the same position as the C7?

Associate
I'm with everyone else it seems. Mine is fitted half way up the stairs as we have a oversized (high) wall there.

Ours is a large 4 bed room, with a mix of 1800's stone and extensions of brick.

The difference between the Billion 8800AXL (although known to have poor WiFi) and this is incredible. If I fit a second, I'd be happy to say the 1/2 acre out the back would also have brilliant reception.

Associate
What model are you all using?

This model "Ubiquiti Networks 2.4GHz/5GHz, 867Mbit, 122m 1x 10/100/1000, 24V Passiv PoE, UAP-AC-LITE (1x 10/100/1000, 24V Passiv PoE 160 x 31.45 mm Indoor)" can be picked up new for about £85.

I guess you are running POE switches as well?

Soldato
Don't need POE switches as the devices come with injectors.
Personally I'm using the LR model - with it's downstairs front room location (on top of a cabinet) it gives perfect WiFi signal throughout the entire house, to the bottom of the back garden and out the front into the road.

Soldato
I guess you are running POE switches as well?

Yes, but that's of no help with the AC-Lite or AC-LR's as they use passive 24v PoE not proper 802.3af PoE so if you have a PoE switch you'll still need to use the injector that comes with the AP.

The AC-Pro can run on either 24v passive PoE or 802.3af.

You can get adapters that'll let you run the AC-Lite and AC-LR on 802.3af but they only have 10/100 interfaces compared to the gigabit interfaces on the bundles 24v passive injectors.

If you have a UniFi PoE switch then they'll do 802.3af and 24v passive PoE so they can power all the APs.

Associate
Guys got a question for you..

reinstalled windows on my main PC recently and when putting the controller software back on and connecting to my AP it went through the setup again and i lost all my settings from before..

is this usual or did i do something wrong? AP was working fine last night before i switch the electric off to move some sockets around. after powering back up it seems to need to provision again but after installing the software it reset all my AP settings

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

The controller holds all the settings, so by wiping your PC and reinstalling the controller you started from scratch. The master config is stored in the controller. Either backup and restore the config whenever you do this, or get yourself a cloud controller, or don't use the controller and setup the AP from the iPhone app.

Back
Top Bottom