*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Turn 2.4ghz power to low and 5ghz to medium or high, with band steering it should push the supported clients over to 5ghz.

On 2.4ghz 20mhz bandwidth is recommended for busy areas, acrylic will show how busy it is.

For 5ghz bandwidth check acrylic and do an rf scan on the controller and see what is free.

Soldato
Turn 2.4ghz power to low and 5ghz to medium or high, with band steering it should push the supported clients over to 5ghz.

On 2.4ghz 20mhz bandwidth is recommended for busy areas, acrylic will show how busy it is.

For 5ghz bandwidth check acrylic and do an rf scan on the controller and see what is free.
Cheers will do.
And whatabout the power setting for the 5GHz? And the bandwidth?

I guess I just pick the channel which is not being used by others in the area?

Soldato
Ok I think Im getting the hang of this...
Ive basically selected the channel where the is no interference, Im lucky as Ive selected a channel that no one is occupying at 5G and maximum BW.
Ive dropped the BW to 20MHz and Im still overlapping with others in the area.... its amazing how many WiFi hotspots there are around, I swear one of them seems like its coming from my house but not owned by me simply by the strength of it!

Ive ordered the 2000Mbps TP Link powerplugs, will let you know how I get on... as long as I get my 200mbit thoughtput via WiFi I will be happy.....

Tempted to even get the 350mbit if this works...

E: And I just want to say a million thanks to all of you who have helped. OCUK at its finest as always. My thanks.

Soldato
The bandwidth is a compromise. You need the widest bandwidth to get the maximum throughput. But older devices only support VT20 and VT80 tends to pick up radar sets (I kid you not). I have mine on VT40/HT40 and that gives me reasonable speed across all A, B, G, N and AC devices.

Soldato
Ok so I got the AV2000.... mixed reaction....

Im now getting 170mbit - 180mbit, but I know that my desktop achieves 220mbit and further... connecting the AP to the router directly also nets similar...

So again, left wondering similarly to how the 500mbit homeplugs was giving a defecit of 30-40%, I still have some defecit….

For information, the tplink software is reporting speeds of 1400mbit between the plugs.

Soldato
Ok Im just laughing my ass off at the moment...

Went into my AP login page....
Just wanted to make sure everything looks good....

Noticed in the clients that I had an AMAZON device connected to my network, and I was thinking... I don't have an Echo or anything like that...

And then it dawned on me in the silence...whilst I can hear a childrens video playing in the background of the house....

Walking to the playroom... my daughter holding her HDFire Kids tablet.... and as you guessed it... streaming cartoon content....

Never the first to take try and even attempt to pry the tablet from her fingers, Ill wait till shes done and conduct further tests.....

But that just made me chuckle :) But Im still not confident that's the only reason why this is happening and suspect that even after she is done.. Im still going to see some gaps in performance.

Soldato
Apologies for spamming just another development.
I tried the speedtest app on my ipad… and im getting 202-210mbit...
but bizzarely on my oneplus 5t I was getting 220mbit via the AP connected to the router directly, but only 170 to 180mbit at the moment via the homeplugs… truly bizzare.

Soldato
Why is it bizarre? If you run speedtest repeatedly on the same device is it rock solid or do the speeds vary from run to run? I quite regularly see big swings on our Virgin installations. They can be 385Mbps one day and the same line can do half that the following week.

Is there any chance you could send the homeplugs back and spend the money getting a cable installed? I’m afraid that’s the only way you’ll really rule out everything but the access point.

Soldato
Why is it bizarre? If you run speedtest repeatedly on the same device is it rock solid or do the speeds vary from run to run? I quite regularly see big swings on our Virgin installations. They can be 385Mbps one day and the same line can do half that the following week.

Is there any chance you could send the homeplugs back and spend the money getting a cable installed? I’m afraid that’s the only way you’ll really rule out everything but the access point.

Sorry I should have explained better.

Running speedtest on the same device yields a rock solid result... although have said that Im now getting nearly 200mbit on the oneplus 5t.

Honestly speaking the Virgin installation speed tests that I do are consistently rock solid no matter what time of day I am doing them to the same server (Brentford)… I always get in the region of 210mbit to 225mbit on my desktop pc.

But the "bizzare" comment was in reference to how I was previously getting 60mbit or so using the 500mbit powerplugs and now Im getting anyway from 170 to 200mbit... again not the fully 220mbit as I was hoping to expect considering the homeplugs are quite beefy.

Nonetheless.. honestly speaking, I am much happier with these results and I don't think Im going to cry over a few dozen MB here or there considering I have more than doubled my throughput via wifi across my home...

But as always if there is anything else I need to check I am all ears WJA96...

Cable route still is not possible due to messy exposure of wire Im afraid... :|

Soldato
I think the Homeplugs display their own nonsensical speed claims when they claim to be transferring data between themselves at 1400Mbps when they have 1000Mbps going in and 1000Mpbs coming out. So unless they are buffering the incoming data and sending it, it’s as impossible for them to be communicating at 1400Mbps when the input speed is 1000Mbps.

So I would always go with the homeplugs as the most likely source of your speed issues. But if you’re happy then I’m happy.

Associate
@Cavallino glad to hear you are happy with the homeplugs. I've had the AV2000's around 2 years and they've been fine, only had to reboot them a handful of times. Have recently moved so looking to hardwire my house, but have no complaints with the TP-LINK's.

Soldato
I think the Homeplugs display their own nonsensical speed claims when they claim to be transferring data between themselves at 1400Mbps when they have 1000Mbps going in and 1000Mpbs coming out. So unless they are buffering the incoming data and sending it, it’s as impossible for them to be communicating at 1400Mbps when the input speed is 1000Mbps.

So I would always go with the homeplugs as the most likely source of your speed issues. But if you’re happy then I’m happy.
Indeed Im beginning to discover that the speeds are nonsensical.
Ironically I tried to measure an actual ethernet speedtest via the same homeplug as the one which is plugged into the AP.
I get around 40-50mbit/second out of that homeplug whereas via wifi on the same device (laptop) I get around 100mbit. Just bonkers.

And then measuring another homeplug in the house via the same method yields an even faster speed via ethernet despite the software reporting a much lower speed compared to the above homeplug example.

Crazy, but suffice to say Im happy with the speeds, Im getting nearly 200mbit/sec out of the AP via the new homeplug and that's more than enough for my needs via WiFi honestly speaking.

Soldato
@Cavallino glad to hear you are happy with the homeplugs. I've had the AV2000's around 2 years and they've been fine, only had to reboot them a handful of times. Have recently moved so looking to hardwire my house, but have no complaints with the TP-LINK's.

Yep sure am bud.. thanks to you both and all for your advice.

At some point Im going to be having my loft converted, I may ask the builders for their advice about wiring some ethernet points around the house at some point….

Caporegime
Have wired up most of my network, having issues with two of the cables appearing as 10/100 instead of gigabit. Now, the cables test absolutely fine with my cable network tester; they're well under the distance limit so trying to figure out if there could be something on my unifi switch, but there doesn't appear to be. Plus one of the cables is to a WAP and moving that to another port gets a gigabit connection just fine.

Is there a limit to the distance one can terminate cables within the patch? I'm pretty sure the naked cables are all <1 inch inside my patch so that shouldn't make a difference?

Ok the WAP is now back to gigabit poe speed. Weird. Must be a dodgy termination somewhere, but both ends look fine to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom