*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I’ve had this before, I rebooted the switch ant each end and it’s worked fine since.
Just tried that, thanks, unfortunately has not worked after restarting both UDM and switch. Will run a wired connection indoors to test that GbE is working on both before considering replacing the external cable.

Also forgot to mention have tried switching to different ports on both and no luck.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Cheap cable pair tester (about £10) would be the simplest way. My guess is that at least one pair has no connectivity, so you are limited to two pairs, a max of 100Mbps. As you’ve re-crimped both ends it’s unfortunate that the failure wasn’t in the last inch or so of either end. If you have any slack, it might be worth crimping again, taking as much extra cable as you can off, you might get lucky and the failure might be the last 12” either end.

Depending on which pairs have failed you might have also lose the ability to use PoE on that cable too, which would be another test you could perform (if you have any PoE equipment).

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheap cable pair tester (about £10) would be the simplest way. My guess is that at least one pair has no connectivity, so you are limited to two pairs, a max of 100Mbps. As you’ve re-crimped both ends it’s unfortunate that the failure wasn’t in the last inch or so of either end. If you have any slack, it might be worth crimping again, taking as much extra cable as you can off, you might get lucky and the failure might be the last 12” either end.

Depending on which pairs have failed you might have also lose the ability to use PoE on that cable too, which would be another test you could perform (if you have any PoE equipment).
Thanks planning on picking one up tomorrow. I do have quite a lot of slack on one end downstairs so could crimp again to see.

Soldato
A bit of an exaggeration but yes Reolink are cheaper and they have more camera options there is no denying it. I never said they were the cheapest, they certainly aren’t the most expensive either. The value proposition goes beyond just the cameras though.

But you need an (expensive IMO) Synology NAS to go that route and you need the knowledge to put it all together. That’s fine if you have one and you know what you are doing but if you don’t, it’s not as simple as you make out. That said Reolink do an NVR but I’ve not used it so I can’t comment on if it’s any good or not.

The irony is that if you already have a UDM Pro or SE, or Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus, Ubiquiti probably provides a good value option given the cameras will be plug and play and you probably already have the other hardware/software needed to run them.

I also wouldn’t recommend people buy from one manufacturer to spite themselves but if you already have most of the hardware, they can and do make sense for some people. They are also extremely easy to use unlike many other options.

I think you’ve missed the point entirely but also ironically hit the nail on the head at the same time - there is no support, hence the cost.

You’re either pretending to be an installer or it’s off the grey market. If you get an installer to supply and support it, you’ll be paying considerably more.

You clearly know what you are looking at in the Hik catalog, 99.999999% of the population don’t. Even if you handed a relatively intelligent person the HIK catalogue and said, order a 4 camera CCTV setup, it would take them hours and it would probably be sub optimal.

Hand them the Ubiquiti catalogue, it would take less than 10 mins and it’s highly likely to work to their satisfaction.

Decent consumer friendly marketing, support and a user interface a novice could engage with does have a value at the end of the day.

It’s why things like Ring, Nest and Eufy are so popular while simultaneously being more expensive and/or inferior to many other options, including Ubiquiti and Reolink.

If someone asked me to recommend them a CCTV camera, the last things I’d recommend is Hik or Dahua, they wouldn’t be asking me for a recommendation if that was even an option for them.

I have pointed people towards Reolink and Ubiquiti if I think they could handle it. If not then either something like Eufy (past security issues aside) or Nest/Ring if they are more that way inclined and happy with the bonkers long term cost.

My number one rule when recommending anything is that I’m not there to support it. Hence despite me being a nerd and hardware enthusiast and almost all my family ask me what to buy or if I can build them a PC for ‘cheap’. I’ve got most of them running MacBooks, iPad and iPhones. It’s simple to use, all works together and if stuff goes wrong, Apple will support it and it’s not my problem.

Happy wife, happy life and all that.
I think that last paragraph sums up a lot on here to be fair. It's hard to tell people the best road to take being an enthusiast for technology but always need to remember that many just would prefer a fit and forget.

Associate
I think you’ve missed the point entirely but also ironically hit the nail on the head at the same time - there is no support, hence the cost.

No, as I was referring to your comment that there is zero warranty and there is, and in fact often longer than Ubiquiti.

However for general support the approved suppliers of Hikvision and Dahua I've used also do offer support, but I've never needed it other than for that camera that went faulty which was replaced. In contrast I have needed support for a few issues with Ubiquiti kit due to software bugs (such as controller migrations from older systems being incorrect which means restores are impossible) and faulty devices and to date it's been very poor/non existent.

I would never recommend Hikvision/Dahua or many of the more complex CCTV software packages to friends for DIY installs as they're better off with a simple system. However that doesn't make Ubiquiti CCTV good value as the cost of a system with more than a few cameras quickly gets to the level where they can pay a professional to install other equipment that's better and not run the risk of Ubiquiti changing direction again.

Associate
The main appeal for Unifi CCTV was easy of use of Protect app and already being in the ecosystem for Wifi. Definitely an expensive option but it's been pretty faultless for us with a couple of exterior G4 bullets and a G4 instant acting as babycam.

Soldato
Thanks planning on picking one up tomorrow. I do have quite a lot of slack on one end downstairs so could crimp again to see.

Picked up a cheap rj45 tester today. Pin 5 on the cable is flashing as broken..all other working as expected. Re-crimped both ends of the cable with new rj45 connectors to no joy.

Caporegime
Unfortunately this is where you’d need an expensive cable tester to show you roughly how far down the cable the break is, but there’s clearly a break :(

Any visible cable damage?

Expensive cable tester clearly not worth it when you are only talking a handful of cables. The last place I worked at that could budget for a decent tester was a multinational with tens of thousands of users…

Last edited:
Caporegime
That wouldn’t really help (on the newer switch/software versions) as it only seems to show basic pair information, not break length. You’d need a device with TDR capability. I know some higher-end Cisco devices do TDR, but I’ve yet to come across a consumer NIC that supports it.

Doesn’t appear that my USW-24-POE can give breakage length. Looking at the output.

Last edited:
Soldato
Caporegime
Wi-Fi 5, brb just checking the year we are in.

There is zero chance I'd deploy something with a plastic mount outdoors, it's only a matter of time before it fails and the thing drops off. And are we *really* supposed to believe that people get themselves into a situation where they need to carry APs around on their van but don't know the situation they're about to encounter so need something that can be ceiling mounted indoors or pole mounted outside? Surely if you plan things with a slight degree of competence you're never encountering the situation this product is designed for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom