*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Their square 802.11ac APs that they put out pre-standard were complete dogs, so buyer beware here
Complete dog because it’s a WiFi 5 AP in 2023 or because it’s not working as advertised or because it has a stupid name?

It’s basically just an updated AC-Mesh which I was a decent access point for its time.

Caporegime
Complete dog because it’s a WiFi 5 AP in 2023 or because it’s not working as advertised or because it has a stupid name?

It’s basically just an updated AC-Mesh which I was a decent access point for its time.
I think he means the old ones that came out before 802.11ac was ratified. The original UAP-AC. They were BAD.

Not the new Swiss Army Knife Ultra.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah ah enough, I thought you referring to that Swiss army knife we all definitely needed!

Edit: Just watched the cross talk solutions video and to be fair, he cautioned against rushing out to buy.

I also spotted the U7 Pro is only 2X2 on 5ghz where as the U6 Pro is 4X4 on 5Ghz so they are not like for like on that font.

I'm also sceptical of the benefit of 6Ghz in the home environment given how my network is typically used. I have one AP centrally mounted AP (landing ceiling) covering the whole house, 6Ghz may not even be effective if my devices even supported it with that kind of setup.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm also sceptical of the benefit of 6Ghz in the home environment given how my network is typically used. I have one AP centrally mounted AP (landing ceiling) covering the whole house, 6Ghz may not even be effective if my devices even supported it with that kind of setup.

Lots of people will be buying some £400 gaming monstrosity with 8 antennas and LED lighting and convincing themselves it was worth it, but there's very few situations where 6GHz is going to be usable in a house unless you have paper thin walls and nothing hanging on them.

Associate
Lots of people will be buying some £400 gaming monstrosity with 8 antennas and LED lighting and convincing themselves it was worth it, but there's very few situations where 6GHz is going to be usable in a house unless you have paper thin walls and nothing hanging on them.
That's about right, of course a lot will probably not catch onto the fact that both sides of the connection will need to be 6GHz, then they will spend months trying to save enough to get the missing half, by which point the first part they invested in has dropped in price.

I will probably make an investment when it becomes more mainstream, anything in my house that has anything high bandwidth is using a wired connection and even then that's only at 1Gb/Sec, that will be upgraded first and I don't have any plans to do that just yet.

Soldato
To be fair, Wifi6E and WiFi7 can genuinely replace cables in open-plan offices and those users currently on Wifi4, WiFi5 or even WiFi6 will see a huge improvement in the responsiveness and speed of their connections. For home users, there is a benefit in a tiny minority of use-cases. Where it might become useful is when virtual reality becomes mainstream. And we all know what drives mainstream…

Soldato
To be fair, Wifi6E and WiFi7 can genuinely replace cables in open-plan offices and those users currently on Wifi4, WiFi5 or even WiFi6 will see a huge improvement in the responsiveness and speed of their connections. For home users, there is a benefit in a tiny minority of use-cases. Where it might become useful is when virtual reality becomes mainstream. And we all know what drives mainstream…
Dont we also need WiFi 7 compatible devices?

Soldato
That's about right, of course a lot will probably not catch onto the fact that both sides of the connection will need to be 6GHz, then they will spend months trying to save enough to get the missing half, by which point the first part they invested in has dropped in price.

I will probably make an investment when it becomes more mainstream, anything in my house that has anything high bandwidth is using a wired connection and even then that's only at 1Gb/Sec, that will be upgraded first and I don't have any plans to do that just yet.
I have 10gbit connection wired all over my house. I prefer wired connection then wireless but wireless of course is good and has its pros and cons

Soldato
Has anybody had one of the UX Express yet? I've got a couple coming at the end of the week to have a play with.
No but was swithering between that or the UXG lite for a simple home network.

On a side note and I would normally ask this in the 'how much is it worth' section but I've never had a response in any thread I've created there.

What would you say I could get for the following items?

1 x AC lite, been deployed and running for approximately 2-3 years.

2 x AC LR - Opened, adopted and put back in the box then forgotten about so never actually used. As new.

1 x U6 LR, purchased but came with missing items. AP is operational and as new.

1 x us-8-150w POE switch

Last edited:
Associate
Has anybody had one of the UX Express yet? I've got a couple coming at the end of the week to have a play with.
No, but intrigued if it’s a good replacement for an ageing usg and original cloud key. Let us know what it’s like when you have them up and running.

Back
Top Bottom