Old People Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Originally posted by MindYerBeak
No need for sarcasm, sir. When I had my posh car I bought a copy of the Highway Code and revised. Did you? I intend to take an IAM advanced driving course. Do you? How much effort do you put in to safe driving? I have a posh GATSO detector, not so I can speed after I detect them and rev up afterwards, but to alert me to accident blackspots. Do you? I'm not the safest driver around, but I do intend to be one of the best, hence my interest in IAM. What efforts are you making to become a better driver may I ask?

sorry if you took offense sir, was trying to inject a bit of humour here as certain people seem to be wearing out their :mad: button ;)

I revised for the highway code when i took the theory test ;)

I will not take the IAM course as it tells you not to drive defensively, which i do, as it has been proven to decrease your chance of an accident far greater. I have however completed 2 day courses from Brands and will be taking my National grade competition license in a few months to entitled me to compete in the Porsche Classic

I do not have a GPS system to detect me of Gatsos, i have eyes ;) after all as you will learn on your IAM, you should be looking ahead that you are easily able to spot such cameras before you approach them (that's about one of the only useful bits of advice they give you)

I do not need to know about accident blackspots, commonly they are very little to worry about, it's normally something like a school or a dodgy bit of road which is easy enough to spot.

To become a better driver/rider i'm gaining more experience ;)

Soldato
They failed because they were unfit to drive. Bad nerves is no excuse for bad driving. admit it.

I dont think thats a fair comment, just because I get nervous for an exam doesn't make me a bad driver.

Don't test centres have a quota for how many they can pass/fail? Or is that a myth?

Last edited:
Associate
O.K. all you young so called experienced drivers and all your comments on the wrinklies driving, tell me this what will your reaction be (if you are still around) to similar comments when you are of retirement age I bet it will be a lot different!!!

Soldato
Originally posted by ultimate
O.K. all you young so called experienced drivers and all your comments on the wrinklies driving, tell me this what will your reaction be (if you are still around) to similar comments when you are of retirement age I bet it will be a lot different!!!

I'll probably be senile by then so I wont be able to drive with my straight jacket on:D

Soldato
I'm not sterotyping, so what's the problem?

But you ARE idiot drivers, sir. Statistics and insurance profits prove it.

Stereotype:

One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.
To give a fixed, unvarying form to.

I'll think you find you are stereotyping Sir, even if statistics prove a high percentage of young drivers are idiots, the second you suggest ALL young drivers are idiots, you are sterotyping.

In terms of the most dangerous drivers on the road, i agree its young people, due to their inexperience and some due to their need to show off.

I find most worrying however how poor some of these so called "experienced" drivers drive, for instance today an old lady was in front of us at some lights to a t junction. The main road lights were red, ours turned green, so she drove off, turned right, then stopped midway out, because she saw the red lights for the main road, and assumed they meant her. Hard to explain, but basically meant she pulled out, and stopped in the middle of a main road lengthways.

The reason for high insurance for young drivers is not JUST due to the high risk. Young drivers want to be able to drive, and will do anything to be able to. If you charged most 40 year olds £3000 to drive a 1.4L basic car on TPFT, then many wouldnt bother. Young drivers will bother however. Insurance companies dont just work out risks, they work out what they can get away with charging.

Soldato
I realy cant see how taking your test again at 50 would help matter tbh, i doubt that many drivers could pass there tests again first or second time after 5 years of driving, bad habits develop fast and after that long they have firmly set in, it wouldnt be fair.

Soldato
Seems Im a bit late to this thread, but here's mp 2p in any case:

The test should be a *lot* harder. In fact, like the pass plus scheme - which involves town, motorway, countryside, night-time driving, as well as driving in different weather conditions. An instructor sits beside you, and determines whether you can drive well enough to be given a driving license - car's are indeed lethal weapons (the reason I license is needed in the 1st place I'm led to believe).

Retests every 5-10 years or so would sort out the bad habits, as people would have to conciously stop them developing, else they'll fail their next test.

And in reaction to MYBs train of thought-

With regard to failing the test - I remember on my driving test, my legs and arms were shaking the whole way through...reversing was nigh on impossible as my clutch foot was shaking so much! I managed to keep myself in check, however, and pass first time. Some of my friends - who are perfectly responsible drivers - took 3 or 4 goes, as they got a bad case of nerves (literally being sick before the test). Having failed doesn't make them a bad driver.

And with regard to getting rid of the young numptees - I personally don't believe it's the majority of young drivers who drive like lunatics - I believe it's a minority, but enough to push us (young males) ahead in the insurance claim statistics. But as has been said before, by manipulating graphs - *absulotely anything* can be proved with statistics.

I remember when I first passed my test, and was giving a couple of friends a lift to a night out, I thought "OMG, I have someone's child in my car...If I crash, and they die, how will that make me feel?" Therefore, with friends in the car, I pay extra attention to driving safely (note, not slowly!) There are some young males who tend to think they're invincible in the car, and there are some middle aged people who think they're invincible in a car.

It's all about maturity, and people mature at different mates. E.g. - having left home, and living in a large shared house at the moment, with ages ranging from 18-27 - after a few weeks of not telling, I asked my new friends how old they thought I was. I am 18, but they all believed I was between 20 and 23. Similarly, I know some 28 year olds, who (if not for their state of physical development) I would swear blind were still 15.

So please don't put all young male drivers into one box. I've been driving a year and a half, have probably covered about 12,000-15,000 miles in this time, and not had an accident. I've not come close to rolling my car off the road into a hedge, or killing a child as he leaps from behind a car. It's essential that I have a car, to travel 320 miles to and from my uni to home at the beginning and end of each term, with my things, and to be able to get myself from place of residence to place of study each morning. And as a (sometime) working musician, I need to be able to get myself to and from jobs - often leaving a pub in a secluded spot at 1am to travel home. If all drivers under 25 had their licenses removed on the basis of being immature, I wouldn't be able to perform in my chosen field of work. And getting out on the road, making my own way to events, having to time keep, and plan journeys does, imo, induce a certain degree of extra maturity in a typical person.

Soldato
i'm a bit late for this thread too, but i'm 19, and have been driving for about 1 and a half years now.

I have only been involved in one crash, and that was someone going into the back of me when i was stopped at a red light.

I consider myself to be an excellent driver, and in all my years of driving, I have only seen 1 person who i thought was as good a driver as me. I indicate correctly all the time, (e.g at a roundabout turning right, i indicate right on approach. Cancewl my signal half way round, change to indicate left, check mirrors all the time and pull off.) Virtually no other driver does this, and you WILL fail your test for not doing that precedure. Incorrect indication is a failable offense. Believe me, i know people who failed JUST for not indicating when turning off a roundabout.

I don't speed, my license is spotless, and lots of people have said to me that i am a really good driver. So it's not all young drivers that are bad. I'm better than loads of 40-50 year old drivers.

You want to know who the bad drivers are? I'll tell you. 95% of BMW owners who are middle aged. Everytime I see a bmw driven by a middle aged man, they ALWAYS do something stupid, like overtake a car doing 35 - 40 on a road whose speed limit is 30. One bmw i saw nearly smashed up three cars when he went through a red light 4 seconds after it turned red at about 60 where he had sped up to make the light. They are a nightmare.

Last edited:
Associate
How about anyone convicted of a driving offence gets their licence taken away, and only returned after they have successfully resat their driving test? This would make people think twice about speeding/dangerous and drunken driving.

If it meant I'd have to once more pay for driving lessons and resit my test again, on top of a court fine, I'd be very weary of pressing the accellerator too hard. You can't educate the numptees, try as you will. The numptees are the reasons why we need speed cameras and speed restrictions and a safety code. The best way, it would seem to me, is to take the numptees off the road until such time as they're safe to drive. This way the roads are a safer place to be, with fewer accidents. Responsible drivers would have nothing to fear.

That should worry the youngsters who think they can drive better than oldies.
I agree with Mr myb remark's and in Germany , when I was last out there for peps that had drivig convictions had to take there driving test again. The Germans I worked with always refered to this as " THE IDIOTEN TEST " and my friend was a 26 year old.

Associate
in my vast experiance(not a year and a half)the worst drivers are them that think they are good....

my old man is 83 and is a safe driver he drives to the speed limmit and holds no one up.he has never had a accident that was his fault.he ain't the best driver in the world but who is(oh sorry all 17 year olds
:rolleyes: )

i would sooner trust my old man with 60 odd years of driving experiance than some trev the rev baseball hatted halfwitt to get me from a to b in one peice.

btw all tractors should be banned off the road.
worst drivers by far farmers.

ben

Last edited:
Associate
Another late entry :)

Old drivers can be just as bad as young, my father (80) wrote off
3 cars last year!

Talking of stereotyping,
And to have a dig at the younger ones i bought an old xr3i
a couple of years back for £150 as a cheap runabout, scrapped that idea pretty sharpish when i was told the cheapest insurance i could get was £1200 THIRD PARTY, WTF :eek:
No doubt that was mostly down to the younger loons who frequently seem to drive such cars and some to the thieving toe-rags, but why should i have to pay such a ludicrous amount after already stumping up for 20yrs of insurance without a my fault claim.

Anyway YES tests should be harder, and perhaps limit new drivers to low powered cars as they do for bikers

YES re-test both eyesight and driving ability at some point
perhaps 30 to see how good they are and 60 to see if they can still cope with it.

my 10p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom