Old People Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Originally posted by Hinchy55
say Fevvahz where abouts in cheshire r u from? I go to Kings in Macclesfield and was wonderin have u seen the idiots who mess around at that McDonalds on the silk road?

those are the kind of youngsters MYB thinks every 17 year old is like.

which we aint

I'm from that lovelee quint town called <ugh> Crewe m8.

Erm the 'silk road' - not sure where u mean, but I know its a damn good drive when I go to visit my laydee if she's in hospital there :D

Associate
OP
not every single ****** 17 year old is the same lunatic driver! we just get placed in the same category as the 'i know everythin' idiots'!

so were u a nuisance driver when u were 17? or was it different then as passing was even easier! no? guess we'll just never be as good as ur generation!

damn i dont know why lifes worth living :p (j/king)

Associate
Originally posted by MindYerBeak
But you ARE idiot drivers, sir. Statistics and insurance profits prove it. Young drivers are a high risk and rightly so. Why are insurance companies making a profit, I wonder? If it were elderly drivers don't you think they'd target them? Young, inexperienced drivers are a danger on the roads and need to be culled. Take their licences away from them when they commit an offence and make our roads safer.

this is because insurance has no over means of obtaining your road skills, you have NCB, which young drivers do not have due to their age. So age/sex and area are the key factors determining your insurance cost, and the car.
I'd much prefer a rating system of your driving but given the costs of sorting such a system it will never happen. So insurers have to stereotype as they have no idea of your driving skill other than the fact you can pass a rediculously easy test.
Elderly drivers do cause a significant percentage of certain accidents (muncher, have a look, i'm sure AXA had some kind of pie chart when i saw this). Much like the fact women cause a large majority of parking accidents (proven fact) but their insurance costs less as these are normally either ignored (or they don't even notice and drive off :mad: ) or very little damage is done.

Young male drivers however are normally involved in high speed accidents, which cost a lot more for insurance companies to sort out. Also a large percentage of the money you pay in insurance goes towards the uninsured drivers fund, due to the cost of insurance a lot of young males aren't bothering with it. I've had quotes for £2500 for basic TP on a car worth less than £500, this is purely based on my age, so i don't blame them one bit for going uninsured.

For insurance purposes look at America, i can get insurance there on a v8 mustang for less than $2000, that's a new driver, their own policy. Compared to over here, where £2000 (pounds) gets me a vw golf (JUST) for my own policy

Make the test harder and make everyone re-take it. Keep the roads for those able to drive at 100mph safely, and still manage to deal with town centres. Everyone else, enjoy your public transport :)

Soldato
Originally posted by daz
Stop trolling.:)

I ain't Trolling, good sir, I'm merely stating FACTS, which youngsters choose to deny. They accused the elderly of causing mayhem and disruption on the highways, I chose to disprove it. Young drivers are a DANGER on the roads, and should do a retest every year to make the roads safer for elderly drivers.

Bury your head in the sand as much as you like, the truth is out there and statistics prove it.

So there.

Permabanned
should do a retest every year to make the roads safer for elderly drivers.

lol are you serious. Totally impractical and for the reasons, anyone with common sense will see why.

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by noob
lol are you serious. Totally impractical and for the reasons anyone with common sense will see why.

Impractical because the government sees them as a source of revenue. Where else could they fine people for speeding?

Wise Guy
Associate
Just a thought......

If insurance was to be reduced for young drivers, can you imagine the supped up cars the crazy younguns would be able to afford to have on the roads? I daredn't even imagine at the consequences of that. It's actually a benefit that young drivers are charged so much, the reputation sees to that but it's a blessing in disguise.

Permabanned
Do you realise a lot of young people rely on their car for employment. Public transport is a joke and just isn't appropriate at times. What happens if I needed my car for a job and I failed my test. I lose my job, I cannot pay my mortagage, my young family lose out and the goverment lose out in taxes. We have enough people claiming benefit now ;) That's just one of the reasons.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Impractical because the government sees them as a source of revenue. Where else could they fine people for speeding?

hmmm i thought a lot of speeding tickets came from middle aged businessmen who r late for a meeting

ur so narrow minded! u think ur generation is perfect! i bet u think school exams are getting easier don't u? not that children are becoming more intelligent and teaching is better. no it couldnt be that! that would be giving children confidence! :mad: :mad:

Soldato
Originally posted by Hinchy55
hmmm i thought a lot of speeding tickets came from middle aged businessmen who r late for a meeting

ur so narrow minded! u think ur generation is perfect! i bet u think school exams are getting easier don't u? not that children are becoming more intelligent and teaching is better. no it couldnt be that! that would be giving children confidence! :mad: :mad:

It's not my generation, sir, I'm merely stating facts, which you so inconveniently choose to ignore. You've lost your argument and are now clutching at straws to try and win your case. What has teaching kids got to do with anything? You're a risk to elderly drivers, sir, admit it and admit defeat. The facts speak for themselves.

Soldato
Do you realise a lot of young people rely on their car for employment. Public transport is a joke and just isn't appropriate at times. What happens if I needed my car for a job and I failed my test. I lose my job, I cannot pay my mortagage, my young family lose out and the goverment lose out in taxes. We have enough people claiming benefit now ;) That's just one of the reasons.

Simple answer, sir, you're not fit to drive. Resit your test.

Permabanned

People fail for various reasons it doesn't make them bad drivers. I had friends in uni who failed exams not because they were stupid, dull or didn't revise it was down nerves. And being lucky on the day. If you brought your proposals to the commons they would be laughed out. ;)

Associate
OP
no chance am i admitting defeat!!!!!

not being arrogant at in this but i believe i am a far better driver than a large amount of 65+ drivers who are oblivious to any other road users

all they had to do to pass their test was apply for it! WOW!! PASS!!!! they must be so good!!!! are u saying u weren't annoyed by older drivers when u were 17? were u a good driver?

Associate

what makes you think you are the best driver around? or safe enough to be on the roads? infact, your insurance is free isn't it? how long ago did you sit your test? did the Model T have air conditioning? :p did you have to feed the horse during the test ;)

tests should be harder, empty the roads of unsafe drivers and there you will be safe to up the speed limit. For the rest, there's buses and trains, enjoy :)

The good news: better pay for bus drivers/couriers/anywhere that requires a driving license to work :D

Soldato
People fail for various reasons it doesn't make them bad drivers. I had friends in uni who failed exams not because they were stupid, dull or didn't revise it was down nerves. And being lucky on the day. If you brought your proposals to the commons they would be laughed out. ;)

They failed because they were unfit to drive. Bad nerves is no excuse for bad driving. admit it.

Permabanned
I see people all ages using mobile phones, doing their hair/makeup, messing with the radio, they are the bad drivers. So why not test all ages. hehe my uncle is a traffic officer you've brightened his day because he's laughing at your posts. :)

Soldato
Originally posted by Kanes
what makes you think you are the best driver around? or safe enough to be on the roads? infact, your insurance is free isn't it? how long ago did you sit your test? did the Model T have air conditioning? :p did you have to feed the horse during the test ;)

tests should be harder, empty the roads of unsafe drivers and there you will be safe to up the speed limit. For the rest, there's buses and trains, enjoy :)

The good news: better pay for bus drivers/couriers/anywhere that requires a driving license to work :D

No need for sarcasm, sir. When I had my posh car I bought a copy of the Highway Code and revised. Did you? I intend to take an IAM advanced driving course. Do you? How much effort do you put in to safe driving? I have a posh GATSO detector, not so I can speed after I detect them and rev up afterwards, but to alert me to accident blackspots. Do you? I'm not the safest driver around, but I do intend to be one of the best, hence my interest in IAM. What efforts are you making to become a better driver may I ask?

Soldato

Young drivers are a DANGER on the roads, and should do a retest every year to make the roads safer for elderly drivers.

To be completely honest, everybody on the road is a DANGER and every road user needs to be aware of this and I am not just talking about car drivers. I am talking about pedestrians crossing the road, cyclists, motorcyclists too.

The main lesson that everyone should learn is awareness. Car drivers should be taught that their car is a dangerous weapon and should treat as such and that they must be aware of all that is around them while driving (this should be tested more I think)

Cyclists seem to be quite a nuisance sometimes, when they seem to just move into the centre of the road and then ride very slowly(ederly people) or ride all over the place because they are not holding the handle bars (young people)

Motorcyclists seem to have good awareness but some do drive like maniacs.

Some pedestrians are just asking for trouble, they walk out into a busy road without even looking because theyare too busy chatting on the mobile.

Back to cars, ther are bad drivers of all ages. You have young male boy racers with no regard to other lives, I think this is due to their up bringing and a bad area to live in, e.g Slough.
You have your middle age business men who think they are king of the road in their Merc or BMW and always do around 100 Mph on the Motorway or duel carriageway (This is the most common bad driving I see). You have Women drivers who are just not willing to turn their head to look at the back Window to Park their car hence lots of parking accidents. Then you have elderly drives of both sexes who just seem to be completely unaware of what is happening around them.

Then you have drivers from Southsea who just have no idea how to drive at all and always leave their car or van in the middle of the road to go and do some shopping and think that leaving the hazard warning lights on makes this OK:D

But seriusly, young people will usually have the worst accidents which will cause a lot of injury and death and destrution compaired to say a woman not parking her car properly, no one is likely to be hurt if that happens.

I think that people should be retested every 5 years, no matter what age they are to make the road safer for EVERYONE.

Associate
OP
I see people all ages using mobile phones, doing their hair/makeup, messing with the radio, they are the bad drivers. So why not test all ages. hehe my uncle is a traffic officer you've brightened his day because he's laughing at your posts. :)

hmmm strange cause i was tellin my parents before about ur comments and they laughed too! weird eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom