Old People Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The insurance companies and their investigations tend to prove that youngsters under the age of at least 21 are numptees. They're making a mint from their observations and calculations. Youngsters do cause more accidents than the middle aged and elderly, so why are you trying to defend the youngsters and exclude them from blame?

Closed
Permabanned
Originally posted by Fevvahz
As for upping the age of driving. Sorry but you 'older, more experienced' guys with the grins on your faces after your well thought out posts have forgotton something. A good driver is an experienced driver. So a 30 year old who has been driving 5 years will be just as much as a 22 year old who has been driving 5 years. Age is not the concern, once a moron, more than likely always a moron, they'll just get older.
There is some truth in that, for sure, but it is not the whole story.

As you grow older, your views and attitude changes. Maybe you have a family and trade-in the sporty little posemobile for something with kiddie-seats and a place for the dog. Experience is a VERY large part of the difference between younger and older drivers, but not the entire story - there is maturity. You calm down a lot, and don't treat other road users actions as a direct challenge or an affront. Oh, and for the record, I'm not saying that all young drivers do that, but 30 years driving experience tells me that when you do see something reckless it is very likely to be a young (male) driver - especially if he has his mates (or worse yet, girlfriend) in the car.

But I'll make a little prediction here - virtually ALL the older drivers will be reading this remark about maturity and attitude and nodding knowingly - and virtually all the younger drivers won't really understand what I mean. They may think they do, but you have to have experience it to really understand it.

Soldato
I wasn't :) Just meant it seems unfair to paint everybody with the same brush...ie as a young driver myself I refuse to be branded as an [insert expletive] driver just because of my peers.

I cant do anything about their behaviour on the roads but I am capable of keeping my own in check.:)

Associate
OP
i agree.

not all of us are maniacs!!

in fact my grandad who was a bus driver sed that a good driver is one who makes their passangers barely move in their seat when going round corners. and that is exactly what i try to do. especially when other people are in the car as they are putting their trust in you so u shud respect that decision by driving responsively. and i most certainly dont go speeding off when my girlfriend is in the car! she'd batter me 4 it! hehehe.

Soldato

As for upping the age of driving. Sorry but you 'older, more experienced' guys with the grins on your faces after your well thought out posts have forgotton something. A good driver is an experienced driver. So a 30 year old who has been driving 5 years will be just as much as a 22 year old who has been driving 5 years. Age is not the concern, once a moron, more than likely always a moron, they'll just get older.

Inexperience isnt the factor why young drivers insurance is so high. Young women generally have cheaper insurance despite the same inexperience as men. Its the immaturity of the said young male driver that leads to accidents, the fact they all seem to think they are great drivers as soon as they pass their test is the problem.

The difference in a 30 year old with 5 years experience compared with a 22 year old with 5 experience is not quite the same. Yes the inexperience might be, but generally the 30 year old has a more mature out look on life and generally tend to be more responsible.

Associate
OP
the type of youngsters u r on about are what is wrong with the youngsters today. the ones who's parents throw them out of the house and say dont come back till later. these are the ppl who are making society as bad as it is in england today. it aint down just to the kids but parenting too! it should be the parents responsibility to go out with their children every so often to see how their driving is going. mine sure do and it helps. errors i make they point out and i correct. it helps to become a better driver

Soldato
Originally posted by DirtyMinx
I wasn't :) Just meant it seems unfair to paint everybody with the same brush...ie as a young driver myself I refuse to be branded as an [insert expletive] driver just because of my peers.

I cant do anything about their behaviour on the roads but I am capable of keeping my own in check.:)

When the mention of young drivers are the main high risk group they tend to be talking about young male drivers, as insurance shows that young women drivers premiums tend to be less than the same age male drivers.

Wise Guy
Associate
Firstly i have to agree, the current driving test is too easy. I passed first time, four minors, but i'll hold my hands up and say i wasn't really that good a driver. I still can't parallel park, my reversing is woeful, but i was only tested on two manoeuvres, the two easiest. Luck on my part. All i had to do to pass the test was drive around for 45 minutes within my means and the law, and look in the mirror as often as i could. Great stress was put on looking in the mirror, my instructor even told me that if i made a point of looking in the mirror more than was actually necessary it would count in my favour. It's not a tough test, and certainly isn't reflective of everyday driving. Town driving isn't hard, so long as you can master juntions and lane procedures. Perhaps it's time to rethink and include something a bit more diverse.

On the subject of speed, i was always told to drive to the speed limit, as it wasn't just a law of maximum but a recommendation of speed for the road. Unless road conditions were poor, this was the speed i should aim for. I would have failed my test had i not aimed to drive at the speed limit, for undue hesitation, a potential danger on the roads.

Interestingly, i noticed an elderly lady in the CoOp car park on Tuesday night. She got into her metro, the car park was empty, all she had to do was reverse and pull away. Unfortunately, she seemed to struggle to come to terms with the whole reversing procedure, and proceeded to pull back into the space, misjudging the turn, having to reverse out again. There were no buildings/cars anywhere around, she just couldn't judge the manoeuvre. Unfortunately, it's people like that that shouldn't be on the roads, she clearly wasn't capable of driving safely. However, she is one in millions of elderly drivers, many of whom are more than capable of coping with conditions.

Young drivers, don't even get me started. I'd swear 90% of young drivers around here are lunatics, they speed through the 30mph limit outside my front window, screech breaks, flash lights, they're not safe and shouldn't be on the roads. I'm not exactly guily free myself, although i tend to reserve my speeding to national speed limit zones. Again, you can't say all young drivers are bad drivers, but there are more than enough to throw your arguement out of the window.

Why should the elderly be penalised for their driving? I've had more close calls involving speeding youngsters overtaking like maniacs than i ever have had with elderly drivers.

Regarding eyetests, i think that's something that should be applied across the board, not a penalty on the elderly. I refer to a friend of mine, who recently had his forklift licence revoked at his annual medical. His eyesight was so poor he was immediately banned from driving until he took corrective measures. He had the sense not to drive his car during this time, but claims he was unaware his vision had gotten so bad. He is only in his late twenties, and had it not been for the medical he would still be on the roads with poor vision. A lesson to be learnt from that i think.

Soldato
Originally posted by DirtyMinx

But if 80% of young drivers are numptees, then it's understandable that ALL young drivers will be tarred with the same brush. There are some very good young drivers on the roads who could teach everyone a thing or two about road safety, but unfortunately they're in the minority. That's why I say remove the numptees from the roads by making them resit their test, regardless of age.

Closed
Permabanned
Originally posted by Hinchy55
i agree.

not all of us are maniacs!!
Oh indeed. I have driven with some young people who have shown excellent skills.

Unfortunately for the good young drivers, there is a high percentage of not-so-good and even downright bad young drivers. That is what insurance statistics prove out. After you've been driving for a few years, then the insurance industry has more data about you to go on, rather than just your age group - so the loading for age decreases and the effect of NCB comes into play. But in the early years, there is no way for insurers to tell the competent and stable young drivers from the tearaways. So they average it out and you all get loaded.

Bear in mind that even the tearaways don't drive like maniacs all the time. Also, reaction times are not the only factor in determining liability to accidents. Being able to read the road ahead and see the potential for a situation to develop means you are already taking precautionary steps (maybe easing off a little earlier) and don't need to rely on reaction times because you are less likely to put yourself into a dodgy situation in the first place. Unfortunately, that is a function of road experience and that can only be acquired with age. Well, actually age itself isn't enough, but you can't have 10 years road experience without having been driving on the road for 10 years, if you see what I mean :D

in fact my grandad who was a bus driver sed that a good driver is one who makes their passangers barely move in their seat when going round corners. and that is exactly what i try to do. especially when other people are in the car as they are putting their trust in you so u shud respect that decision by driving responsively. and i most certainly dont go speeding off when my girlfriend is in the car! she'd batter me 4 it! hehehe.
Sensible Grandad. I was taught much the same thing in relation to cars. If your passenger's head is rolling backwards and forwards under acceleration and braking, then you are being to aggressive with the controls and making the ride unpleasant.

Associate
I have to listen to the screech of wheels spinning and tin can exhaust roaring on a nightly basis here. We have a junction 2 doors down that the local idiots seem to treat as their personal front tyre testing area. Wot they dont know is that the police are watching em hahaha. Driving tests are too easy. Learners should be on a 2yr probation. Any conviction and you loose ya licence for 6 months say then you have to re-take. Everyone should have mandatory 5 year eye tests, and everyone should have to re-take their test when : you loose your licence, reach 65, or have a nasty accident that was proved to be your fault. Just my thoughts though :)

Associate
Originally posted by MindYerBeak
But if 80% of young drivers are numptees, then it's understandable that ALL young drivers will be tarred with the same brush. There are some very good young drivers on the roads who could teach everyone a thing or two about road safety, but unfortunately they're in the minority. That's why I say remove the numptees from the roads by making them resit their test, regardless of age.

what makes you think you're a safe enough driver to be on the roads? ;)
Age should have nothing to do with it, make the test a lot harder, that would remove the unsafe drivers, not stereotyping because of age :)

Associate
Originally posted by Kanes
what makes you think you're a safe enough driver to be on the roads? ;)
Age should have nothing to do with it, make the test a lot harder, that would remove the unsafe drivers, not stereotyping because of age :)

I totally agree. The test should be difficult. Very difficult. So much so that its actually an achievement to have passed your test.

You should be able to do any of the simple manouvres asked of you, you should be able to drive much better than that in fact. You should be able to read the road ahead to some extent, and you should be able to drive at the national speed limit just as easy as in town.

Its so easy at the moment that dithering morons are able to pass their tests. It should be difficult, and you shoudl have to re take it every so often.

I think if we did that then we would vastely reduce these stereotypes that MYB so dearly loves. ;) (j/k m8)

<sigh> Society today :(

Associate
OP
say Fevvahz where abouts in cheshire r u from? I go to Kings in Macclesfield and was wonderin have u seen the idiots who mess around at that McDonalds on the silk road?

those are the kind of youngsters MYB thinks every 17 year old is like.

which we aint

Soldato
I totally agree. The test should be difficult. Very difficult. So much so that its actually an achievement to have passed your test.

You should be able to do any of the simple manouvres asked of you, you should be able to drive much better than that in fact. You should be able to read the road ahead to some extent, and you should be able to drive at the national speed limit just as easy as in town.

Its so easy at the moment that dithering morons are able to pass their tests. It should be difficult, and you shoudl have to re take it every so often.

I think if we did that then we would vastely reduce these stereotypes that MYB so dearly loves. ;) (j/k m8)

<sigh> Society today :(

I've already said I'm not sterotyping, so what's the problem? Are the insurers sterotyping? They make a mint by charging dangerous young drivers over the odds. Blame them not me.

Admit it, young drivers are a nuisance and a hazard. Stop burying your heads in the sand like the proverbial ostrich.

Associate
Originally posted by MindYerBeak
I've already said I'm not sterotyping, so what's the problem? Are the insurers sterotyping? They make a mint by charging dangerous young drivers over the odds. Blame them not me.

Admit it, young drivers are a nuisance and a hazard. Stop burying your heads in the sand like the proverbial ostrich.

Sorry, I was joking. No I know your not, the muppets give us a bad name. Tis true, the insurers have good reason to charge so much. I'd just like to sit down over a cofee, maybe have lunch with them, let them know what a great guy I am, and then reduce my insurance premium :D

Soldato
NOT ALL YOUNG DRIVERS ARE A NUISANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOME OF US ARE JUST AS SENSUBLE AS U SAY U R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

admit this!

otherwise u ARE stereotyping us with the idiot drivers.

Of course not all young drivers are a nuisance just like not all old drivers are nuisances either. The difference is that a larger majority of young drivers drive irresponsibly and cause more accidents.

Car drivers between 17 and 20 are six times more likely to be involved in an injury collision than a driver over 40

http://www.pacts.org.uk/statistics_uk.htm

Last edited:
Soldato
NOT ALL YOUNG DRIVERS ARE A NUISANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOME OF US ARE JUST AS SENSUBLE AS U SAY U R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

admit this!

otherwise u ARE stereotyping us with the idiot drivers.

But you ARE idiot drivers, sir. Statistics and insurance profits prove it. Young drivers are a high risk and rightly so. Why are insurance companies making a profit, I wonder? If it were elderly drivers don't you think they'd target them? Young, inexperienced drivers are a danger on the roads and need to be culled. Take their licences away from them when they commit an offence and make our roads safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom