Olympic Athletics

No the main issue with taking drugs as far as sport is concerned is that it is against the rules and therefore is considered cheating.

Only because drugs are baaaaad. If drugs didn't cause long-term damage or death then they wouldn't be illegal. So the fact is, these athletes put their life on the line to eek out a few tenths, they've been caught and been punished so then leave it at that, let them compete after they have served their punishment.

Even if he did drugs, it was still him that had to run, drugs just made his body better. People talk about drugs as if all the other athletes aren't also trying to gain an advantage through other means, be it shoes, outfits, the new muscle tape etc etc. The only real issue with drugs is that they have a tendency to do harm or result in death, but it surely has to be a personal choice for them. They get caught and they serve their suspension and then leave it at that. If they can win for Team GB then good tbh!

It's not just that he used drugs to gain an advantage where as others would do other things to gain an advantage.
The issue is that he knowingly and wilfully went outside of the rules to gain an advantage.
It would be just as bad if he'd deliberately worn illegal trainers that were prohibited for giving an unfair advantage.

I think everyone deserves a second chance in situations like this. If he was caught a second time then lifetime ban. It should be no different for drink driving. 1st time a ban but get caught again and you lose your licence permanently.

Chris [BEANS];22491613 said:
It would be just as bad if he'd deliberately worn illegal trainers that were prohibited for giving an unfair advantage.

But this isn't uncommon in sport either. Making modifications to kit and hoping the officials don't spot it. They don't get as bad a rap as the drug crowd though simply because of the gravitas the word 'drug' has attached to it.

Only because drugs are baaaaad. If drugs didn't cause long-term damage or death then they wouldn't be illegal. So the fact is, these athletes put their life on the line to eek out a few tenths, they've been caught and been punished so then leave it at that, let them compete after they have served their punishment.

Don't get me wrong drugs can be very bad. But regardless of what the long term damage athletes take them to try to gain an advantage over other competitors, they cheat.

What the rules say doesn't really matter, knowingly breaking them for an advantage is why they are punished, not because they may be putting their health at risk... The sheer amount of painkillers a lot of athletes will be taking will be doing them no good, but is perfectly within the rules.

Chris [BEANS];22491596 said:
Please do, 'the public' isn't you is it?
'The public opinion' is the general sentiment of the nation.

I could understand your protest if I'd said "That Caswhatever poster on the forum doesn't want him representing us" because it wouldn't be my place to speak for you, but as I commented on public opinion and stated as much there's no problem is there.
Considering I only seem to see the minority of people saying they don't want Chambers competing, I still think saying "the public" is untrue.

My issue with Chambers isn't the fact that he got caught it's the fact he said he didn't care and accused all top athletes of taking drugs in an interview he gave to the BBC. Some of our biggest and most well know athletes came out in support of him and he kicked every single one of them in the teeth with that interview. He's a pathetic excuse of a man and shouldn't be anywhere near the Olympics. Support Chambers and you support cheats in sport.

I don't support cheats, and I would be quite happy for there to be a lifetime ban on him, but not while the rest of the world allows their athletes to compete again after their ban. But as it stands, I think he should be there - I'd much prefer a worldwide ban on all drug cheats when they are caught, though.

I'd much prefer a worldwide ban on all drug cheats when they are caught, though.
I think it's a grey area personally. I'm sure most athletes knowingly cheat but some will get caught for taking prescribed drugs (there's an argument in itself) and others might be taking substances given to them by their coaches without knowing. I think a worldwide ban would be harsh but it's hard to think of an alternative to stop it happening.

Back
Top Bottom