Olympic Athletics

I think it's a grey area personally. I'm sure most athletes knowingly cheat but some will get caught for taking prescribed drugs (there's an argument in itself) and others might be taking substances given to them by their coaches without knowing. I think a worldwide ban would be harsh but it's hard to think of an alternative to stop it happening.

Yea it is very difficult when it comes to drugs, I think one of the main problems is that although you can stop an athlete using an illegal device, like an illegal pair of spikes. It's a bit of an unknown whether you can take away the advantage the drugs have given... You can stop them using them but they may have never gotten to the level they are at without them.

I think the stigma they get from a lot of people is part of that, if it were just a suspension then all was forgotten the temptation would be a lot greater for up and comers.

I looked it up, men do the Decathlon, 8th and 9th of August. I don't think we have a golden girl in the event like in the Heptathlon though.

I'm afraid I'm also in the couldn't care less about chambers camp. I don't care if he served his time, the fact is he showed lack of integrity and honesty by taking drugs and that is unforgivable as far as I'm concerned. Pendleton who's never done drugs gets DQ'd in a gold medal race for pretty much nothing, yet an ex drug taker has had a lifetime ban overturned. Yeah that's really fair. It's all academic anyway because chambers isn't good enough to get a medal.

Instead of moaning about Chambers why don't people put effort into moaning about the likes of Gatlin and Merritt who are actually decent enough to win things and beat other athletes.

I'm afraid I'm also in the couldn't care less about chambers camp. I don't care if he served his time, the fact is he showed lack of integrity and honesty by taking drugs and that is unforgivable as far as I'm concerned. Pendleton who's never done drugs gets DQ'd in a gold medal race for pretty much nothing, yet an ex drug taker has had a lifetime ban overturned. Yeah that's really fair. It's all academic anyway because chambers isn't good enough to get a medal.

Do you feel the same way about David Millar?

Do you feel the same way about David Millar?

I just looked up who he is and what he did.
Sure, why wouldn't I feel the same? Athletes work bloody hard training for years for a medal, so I have no time for anyone trying to cheat their way there, British or not. Would you have sympathy for David Millar if he wasnt from the UK? Doubt it.

I looked it up, men do the Decathlon, 8th and 9th of August. I don't think we have a golden girl in the event like in the Heptathlon though.

If we've got a girl in the decathlon at all then we're doing something wrong, never mind a golden girl... :p

I just looked up who he is and what he did.
Sure, why wouldn't I feel the same? Athletes work bloody hard training for years for a medal, so I have no time for anyone trying to cheat their way there, British or not. Would you have sympathy for David Millar if he wasnt from the UK? Doubt it.

While I'm of the opinion that people taking drugs to win does undermine the sport any sanctions should be universally applied and hence any sympathy with their predicament should also be universal. It's probably worth noting that David Millar is now an anti-drugs campaigner and has done remarkably well in coming back after his ban.

dont tarnish all failed drug test sports people with the same brush.

theres are those that knowingly pump thereself full of performance enhancers and try to get away with it and there are those that unknowingly take stuff not realising its got a banned substance in it!!

Theres a lot of everyday things that we eat,drink and take for granted that can contain banned substances. A lot of cough medicine has banned substances in!

Take hope solo for example shes the USA womans goalkeeper and renowned as the best female keeper in the world.

Only a matters of weeks before these olympics she failed a drugs test, it was later found to be something in some medicine she was taking for a menopause problem. in light of the situation she was cleared and hence competing for USA

As i say dont tarnish all failed tests the same and remember athletes have sports nutritionists who work out everything they eat and drink, how can they always be sure of whats in what they are given? they arent scientists

Back
Top Bottom