Olympic Track Cycling

Soldato
Disgraceful really, why announce before that discretion will be used in these situations and then break out the DQ on such a small mistake (after looking at the replay there wasn't a great deal in it)

Caporegime
Bah, too much sport on as I said, I caught the very end of them explaining something, where they saying Pendleton overtook at the right point or started but the other rider didn't give up the lead quickly enough? At they end they were talking about 50metres to give up the lead and with a couple you guys mentioning huge mistake by Jess rather than Victoria it started to sound more like it wasn't her overtaking that was the problem?

THey really shouldn't do beach volleyball at the next olympics... its way too distracting :p

Man of Honour
Again only from live text:

BBC Sport's Chris Bevan at the Velodrome: "The announcement that Britain have been disqualified from the gold medal race brings loud boos from the crowd at a packed London Velodrome.

"Desperate disappointment for Victoria Pendleton and Jess Varnish, who had looked in supreme form and almost blew the roof off 'The Pringle' when they broke that world record in the heats."

Are these pathetic commentators not allowed to say anything live(tv/stream) because it might upset someone?

Soldato
come on guys they broke the rules just accept it!!

we'd want justice if it was the final and say china did the same you'd all be going mad saying they should be dq'd etc etc

Soldato
So how does it work? What do they mean by changeover? Are they meant to cross this lap marker without being ahead of each other?

yes, vic should be behind jess. jess pulled out too early

think of it like changing over the baton in the athletics relay over the line

NZB

NZB

Associate
Victoria Pendleton on what went wrong.

"We have never had an illegal change, so we weren't really thinking about it. It's just one of those things that happened. We were probably just a bit too eager and excited for a ride.

"Now and again rubbish things happen and this is one of those days. The only positives I can take is that I know I am in really good form because that was the fastest second lap I have done. I just need to get my head down and concentrate on the races to come."

Man of Honour
come on guys they broke the rules just accept it!!

we'd want justice if it was the final and say china did the same you'd all be going mad saying they should be dq'd etc etc

I'm not complaining about the DQ but just think the way this has been put across on the air is unsatisfactory. :)

Anyway must grab some food before the men's final. :D

Associate
The first rider has to complete a lap before being overtaken, as you can see in the above image, Pendleton actually overtook her just before the end of the first lap, thus they are disqualified.

Personally I can't see how this really affects the competition, they still won their heat and this had no bearing on their time or the competition itself. Yes, it's technically wrong but surely some discretion could be used here.

Certainly killed my happy mood watching the Olympics today, from a very good chance at Gold to absolutely nothing.

Caporegime
Either way I think Jess was meant to be leading at the end of the first lap, and that image shows she wasn't.

Shame, but not really any contesting it :(

Back
Top Bottom