Olympic Track Cycling

DcD

DcD

Associate
That was absolutely fantastic! Although I don't fully grasp the concept of this team sprinting malarkey.

Could someone explain team sprinting and the deal with switching in the zone? I understand it's pace setting but surely everyone's cycling at the same speed so if you lead for 2 laps and sit at the back for 2 laps you'll still be as tired. Am I missing something? (Ede it: Just realised when the bloke peels off behind you, the finish obviously becomes further away, lowering the 'speed' - am I on the right tracks?)

Someone give me a crash course?

Cavendish is awful. He mumbles a bit and has a strong accent.

Yeah he is in interviews. I somewhat doubt he'll be a pundit later in his career! :p He mumbles and couldnt really care less about being infront of the camera. Fair enough to the guy.

Last edited:
Soldato
That was absolutely fantastic! Although I don't fully grasp the concept of this team sprinting malarkey.

Could someone explain team sprinting and the deal with switching in the zone? I understand it's pace setting but surely everyone's cycling at the same speed so if you lead for 2 laps and sit at the back for 2 laps you'll still be as tired. Am I missing something?

The stuff thats on just now is team pursuit. The team sprint was the 3 man (or 2 woman) teams where they did 1 lap each then dropped off.

In the pursuit, they take turns to be on the front. But it's much more than just pace setting, the rider on the front has to break through the air and the others behind him get to sit in his slipstream. They do about a lap each on the front then move to the back to recover. There is no changeover zone or anything in the pursuit, they can change whenever they want and as often as they want.

Last edited:

alx

alx

Soldato

Could someone explain team sprinting and the deal with switching in the zone? I understand it's pace setting but surely everyone's cycling at the same speed so if you lead for 2 laps and sit at the back for 2 laps you'll still be as tired. Am I missing something? (Ede it: Just realised when the bloke peels off behind you, the finish obviously becomes further away, lowering the 'speed' - am I on the right tracks?)

Isn't it to do with slipstreaming/wind resistance and how it's hardest to cycle at the front at a given pace? By cycling the man at the front (pun intended) you can keep up a greater pace over the race.

Associate

Could someone explain team sprinting and the deal with switching in the zone? I understand it's pace setting but surely everyone's cycling at the same speed so if you lead for 2 laps and sit at the back for 2 laps you'll still be as tired. Am I missing something?

Yeah he is in interviews. I somewhat doubt he'll be a pundit later in his career! :p He mumbles and couldnt really care less about being infront of the camera. Fair enough to the guy.

They said earlier that 80% of a riders energy is used just fighting against the air so the change the front so that one rider dosen't have to push against the air all the race.

DcD

DcD

Associate
Ah! Gotchas. All the guide sites (where they crash course the various olympic sports) say team pursuit is where two teams race on opposite sides of the velodrome - rather confusing.

I somewhat disregarded aerodynamics, that makes a lot of sense and I suppose I underestimated the speed theyre actually going. That explains the hoo-hah about the Australian dropping out early because it means the other have to pick up the extra 25% out of the slipstream.

Soldato
Ah! Gotchas. All the guide sites (where they crash course the various olympic sports) say team pursuit is where two teams race on opposite sides of the velodrome - rather confusing.

It will be 1 team on each side of the track in the next round. This is the qualifying round where each team just sets a time to see who gets into the knock-out stages.

Back
Top Bottom