One reason a smoking ban in clubs is bad

Associate
After stoping smoking 6 months ago, i can honestly say i would rather smell anything other than Ciggarette smoke on a night out, just the slightest smell of it is enough to make my stomach turn and my lungs feel heavy.

Bring on the Mad Raving BO stinkers. :p

Associate
Worthy said:
I am not trolling, I am stating my opinion. Do not insult my intelligence.
You're the one arguing that if they ban cigs they should also ban orange juice.

Worthy said:
Clubs are only open for the whole night twice a week, and all the bar areas in clubs I frequent have excellent air conditioning.
Not necessarily, the nightclub I worked in opened 5 nights a week, and 7 nights during the summer.
You're also saying inhaling tobacco smoke for 10 hours a week does no harm because the amount inhaled is miniscule. However when smoking was allowed in pubs and clubs in Ireland it caused my eyes to water and I often had a very sore throat the next day. Obviously it isn't harmless either.

Soldato
tenchi-fan said:
Worthy, are you trolling or are you naturally thick? Millions of people don't die each year from drinking orange juice.
No, but iirc plenty of people in dry countries such as Saudi die from diabetes cause they drink too much orange juice (too much sugar ;)).

Soldato
JRS said:
Oh, I get it....workers in an office can be protected against health hazards, but workers in a pub can't. I see, thanks for clearing that one up.

I would post the RollEyes Of Doom, but frankly it isn't worth the effort.

Ah, to hell with it.

:rolleyes:
Oh no the rolleyes, how can i possibly counter such a strong arguement as that?

Surely you must appreciate that there is a difference between dictating the rules by which employees of a company should behave and how the customers of a particular service should behave.

Where do you draw the line? Once you have this, do you go on to say no smoking in any public place (you are after all risking your health by walking along the street near a smoker), so that smokers are confined to their homes if they want to smoke (and what if these smokers, as many will be, are parents - forced to smoke around their kids because they are not allowed to smoke elsewhere - a bit of conjecture I know, but where does it end)

This is not combatting the problem, it is simply ignoring it. Resources and legislation should be put to stopping people taking up smoking, and helping smokers to quit - rather than gradually shunning these people from socitey.

Associate
tenchi-fan said:
They are just harming themselves. Smoking harms everyone, and in nightclubs this could include staff, non-smokers and pregnant women.

You wouldnt say that if one fell on top of you! :p

Theres one thing i cant stand when going to clubs and thats coming home absolutely stinking of cigs.

Soldato
I coulda sworn there's no proven link between passive smoking and cancer. Definitely remember reading an editorial in the Independent where the guy talked about the largest study ever conducted into passive smoking - and it couldn't find any link...

Soldato
Well I always maintain it can't be that bad for you:

Take two twins:

Put one in a room with 50 smokers with cigars.

Put one in a room with a car's exhaust being piped in.

Place yer bets!

JRS

JRS

Soldato
j00ni said:
Oh no the rolleyes, how can i possibly counter such a strong arguement as that?

Sarcasm doesn't slay me I'm afraid, at least when it's done as poorly as that.

j00ni said:
Surely you must appreciate that there is a difference between dictating the rules by which employees of a company should behave and how the customers of a particular service should behave.

A bar/pub/club is a place of work. An office is a place of work. Not spotting a difference here. It's not about dictating the behaviour of customers, its about making the workplace as safe as it can sensibly be for the people who have to be there. You can say "it's their choice to work there" until you're blue in the face but it doesn't change the fact that people do have to work there and they don't deserve to have to put up with the health problems that smoke can cause.

And yes, it does cause health problems. I've lost track of the number of times I've come home coughing up **** out of my lungs from a 6 hour stint behind the bar. But thats okay - I mean, I was getting paid a whole £35 for that shift.....that obviously makes the lung damage worthwhile.

j00ni said:
Where do you draw the line? Once you have this, do you go on to say no smoking in any public place (you are after all risking your health by walking along the street near a smoker), so that smokers are confined to their homes if they want to smoke (and what if these smokers, as many will be, are parents - forced to smoke around their kids because they are not allowed to smoke elsewhere - a bit of conjecture I know, but where does it end)

This is not combatting the problem, it is simply ignoring it. Resources and legislation should be put to stopping people taking up smoking, and helping smokers to quit - rather than gradually shunning these people from socitey.

Quite true. But the governments of the world don't want people to stop smoking entirely - think of all the tax £s, $s and whatever elses that they'd miss out on! They'd have to raise the duty on alcohol and fuel to compensate, and no-one wants that. Alright, they'll make it very difficult and expensive to smoke, but they've gone with that plan regarding driving and are still able to make money out of the British public for that.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
AthlonTom said:
^Won't there be a massive reduction in costs for the nhs? Smokers are generally unhealtier anyway, not forgettin expensive cancer treatment.

I'm sure the NHS will find a way to waste the money that they wouldn't be spending....have faith in the power of the Paper Pushers.

Soldato
How many **** holes does it take to derail a thread entirely? ...... a goodly number, it would appear! Start another thread if you wanna go over all that **** again!

Back on track: if the people who used the clubs washed and used deodourant etc things would be better. Why on earth should the management take responsibility for a clientele who stink?

Soldato
singist said:
Back on track: if the people who used the clubs washed and used deodourant etc things would be better.
Tbh, it doesn't matter how much deodourant, etc you put on and how clean you are when you go into a club, you'll still come out smelling like you've been for a dip in the north sea ;).

Back
Top Bottom