Oops!...I did it again..

Soldato
"motherboard tour" i like that classy :D
So 4 cpu's, i don't know diddly squat on amd cpu's but if its an 8 core does that mean 16 processing threads or 8 etc :confused:
Either way best of luck with your trial runs Mr Biffa sah :D

Man of Honour
OP
"motherboard tour" i like that classy :D
So 4 cpu's, i don't know diddly squat on amd cpu's but if its an 8 core does that mean 16 processing threads or 8 etc :confused:
Either way best of luck with your trial runs Mr Biffa sah :D

4 x 12core cpu's no HyperThreading so one thread per core, so thats 12 x 4 = 48 cores = 48 threads.

Same as BaBa has but without the overclocking, max speed is 2.3Ghz

But you can get the board and get one 12 core, or two 8 cores of whatever speed you like to get started and then upgrade later when the 16 cores come out and the 12 cores start to drop.

New retail the cheapest 8 core is around £200 incl
Only supermicro and Tyan make the quad socket mobos and the one I got was the cheapest at around £600 and also takes the cheaper non ECC ram.

But of course you can grab bargains on Ebay. Baba got his ES chips for a snap, and I got a pretty substantial cut from new on these.

I looked at importing from the US for the mobo but it worked out to be only a saving of a few quid and the unknown of VAT and duty charges that might be levied so I went safe and stuck with a UK supplier. They don't hold stock but its drop shipped from manufacturer.

Its a bit of a minefield with cases and waterblocks but they are out there. I just took my time and ordered stuff when it fitted my price range. I'm going to have to sell weebeastie to cover a large chunk of the costs which effectively leaves me out of the Seti@home race once and for all (if ever I was going to go back). But someone else might make use of it.

Bah, the video is blocked in Slovakia which is where I'm living now. Did I guess the model correctly?

Actually the MBD-H8QGI+-F-O :p

Yes but thats the designation on the we site. Cheapest I could find.

Hmmm ,i just want to know what case its going in:confused:

Yay, case and psu just arrived!

And rememberd I had to get some mighty Yate Loon D14SH-12's (the 2300rpm ones)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks very much for the explanation Mr Biffa sah, compared to what i have spent in the last 12 months thats allmost "reasonably" priced.:eek::)

I sincerely doubt that members market would appreciate or realise what weebeastie is worth, are we to see it appear on a popular auction site in the near future?:)

Congratulations not only on the setup but keeping so tight lipped about it !!

Soldato
I didn't realise the cheapest 8 core was only £200, every time I google opterons they always seem to come up with £600-£1000, £200 is actually getting within my price range, especially if you don't need to install all the cpus at once. hmmm.... I was planning to get another sandybridge / bulldozer rig in August maybe something like this could be an option afterall :D

Soldato
Been trying to work my google foo all afternoon, then realised the answer was in front of me sortof. Width and height wise it would (with around 1" overlap at the top) fit into my mm duality given that its allready an sr2 mobo tray, but there would be a whole lot of modding for the io backplate. Not sure i fancy actually cutting into this case but on the plus side the sr2 and 1 xeon could fund the whole shibbang, anyone anygood with a dremmel :)
Might wait until Mr Biffa sah has a moment and pester him for a few measurements :o:)

Man of Honour
OP
Heh yeah I spent some time looking around, including that site, which pretty much says that unless you buy a SuperMicro case, you can fit one in a Stacker 810. Great, thanks for that. Try finding one of those! Plus BaBa already said it was a royal PITA when it tried it.

I know BaBa was looking at the Xigmatek - Elysium, and thats what you want really one that has space for a PSU up top with some clear space without anything in the way.

The distance from the IO area to the top of the mobo is around 12cm.

I'm 100% I'll have to modify the case I bought, but hopefully no more than I had to modify the P80 for the SR-2. But I haven't even tried the mobo in the case yet :eek:

Still performance testing the cpus until I can find the time to get stuck in (maybe tonight)

Soldato
Thanks very much for that Mr Biffa sah much appreciated. Yup that 12cm from the i.o. would be a complete nightmare, it would fit physically but can see having to forget the psu and fan on that side using the other would mean 1 rig only mmmmm i dunno. But in the meantime i am flogging off some bits n toys and have made inroads on the sr2 and xeon sale :)

Man of Honour
OP
Hmm What does that area look like inside? If you move the fan to the outside of the case looks like you should have plenty of room.

Soldato
Actually now i look at it i won't need to hack into it the side panels come off should be just a matter of using the psu slot on the other side of the case ... i think .... sorry to hijack your thread sah ;):)

Man of Honour
OP
Heh I don't mind, build thread will go in the Cases subforum. This is just a show and tell expose type thing :) The more the merrier imho.

Looking at your original pic you could get a SR-2 on one side (upside down) and something monstrous on this side :eek: Do you have a decent photo intsead of that postage stamp one? :p

Soldato
;) Slightly bigger photo's for you sah. I dragged my feet for so long on this sr2 thingummybobs but that was the original plan using the 2 sr2 mobo trays that did not come cheap, and then circumstances turned so there it be.
Yup looking at it empty it certainly will fit on the near window side and the 2nd inverted tray could hold something too.
I can picture the mobo in there with a little extension of the mobo tray for support, just cannot quite envisage what to do with the io plate as i will be using 1 gpu hmmmm .... i will go consult the tea leaves ;):)

Man of Honour
OP
Whats the issue with the io plate mate? Its just an io plate like any other nothing special, you won't have to do anything except as you say put something to support the top of the board.

Man of Honour
OP
Should be ok mate. Been working on mine tonight, stripped case out mobo fits ok but may need something for the top three holes.

Back
Top Bottom