Opinion time please!

Associate
I talked myself out of getting a gen 1 R8 V10 recently. I'd watched a YT video of a McLaren MP4/5 and suddenly felt the urge to have 10 cylinders sitting behind me :D If I was optimistic and enthusiastic about my career then I probably would've taken the plunge, but at the moment I have to talk myself out of sacking off my job every day which makes a car upgrade a bad idea...
The only thing that really bothers me about them is the fake tailpipes (a pet hate of mine). It would be my only car so not the most practical either, but I could probably work around that in a coupe given that I only really need it for myself.
I don't really have any good advice to give though. The Mustangs have never really done it for me :p

Caporegime
OP
I talked myself out of getting a gen 1 R8 V10 recently. I'd watched a YT video of a McLaren MP4/5 and suddenly felt the urge to have 10 cylinders sitting behind me :D If I was optimistic and enthusiastic about my career then I probably would've taken the plunge, but at the moment I have to talk myself out of sacking off my job every day which makes a car upgrade a bad idea...
The only thing that really bothers me about them is the fake tailpipes (a pet hate of mine). It would be my only car so not the most practical either, but I could probably work around that in a coupe given that I only really need it for myself.
I don't really have any good advice to give though. The Mustangs have never really done it for me :p

Opinions are always welcome! I'm borderline on the Mustangs myself but want to give them another chance. Budget at the minute is a funny one as I'm hoping prices should drop in 6 months to a year so may end up with more for my money, don't really want to spend more.

Associate
Another thing for me is I can't bring myself to drive an auto, which rules out AMGs (and a lot of other modern cars). It's a shame they don't make RHD Corvettes. I was planning to get a C6 Z06 when I was living in the states. The going rate was ~35k USD...

Soldato
Now is a great time to sell, but not buy. If you can get by in the meantime without the boxster, that's a good place to be. I wouldn't rush out and buy something now, not at these prices.

Use the time to drive all the cars on your list and narrow it down. The LC500 is lovely, has a great interior and is very well built, but it's too heavy to be a sports car. The GT4 is a very different proposition, but it's harsh on poor roads and quite noisey. Guess you need to decide if you want sports or a GT car.

I've decided to wait out these silly prices and then get another V8, maybe a nearly new M5 competition or similar.

Caporegime
OP
So, test drove a couple of Mustangs, manual and automatic. Fun. Very fun. Love the look of the car but the build quality just isn't there. One of them was a 70 plate and the number of creaks and groans from the rear was a deal breaker for me.

SL500 - holy crap! Lovely interior but that engine is outstanding. Not really after a convertible but it's a hard-top so may just be acceptable. Also fits in my garage which is handy. Did I mention that engine? Wow!

Jag - never got to drive an F-Type. Sales people just were not interested in helping me. Very disappointing and walked away rather angry after about 20mins of being ignored (Jaguar North Tyneside).

BMW - Same experience as Jaguar. Wanted to try and M5 and compare to an M340i/440i/850i. Nothing. As I walked away the receptionist came out to apologise to me, clearly she wasn't impressed either.

But the engine on that SL500!!!

Soldato
the SK 500 and i viewed quite a few, has a great interior and very fast too, it has loads of torque and when remapped loads more, it has more torque potential than my C63AMG because it's bi-turbo.

BUT the engine is quiet and doesn't sound muscly at all, the one to go for is the SL63 AMG, it's a monster, the SL63 isn't much faster to 60 than the SL 500 but has loads more mid range pull, I think you can get about 600hp and roughly 630 torque out of it, from memory i mean, that's 150 more torque than mine, flipping heck!!!

the SL63 like my car is really heavy, it's no good on small country lanes, the SL63 is wide and low and definitely not nimble like a Porsche, it's more like a Bentley

Man of Honour
Jag - never got to drive an F-Type. Sales people just were not interested in helping me. Very disappointing and walked away rather angry after about 20mins of being ignored (Jaguar North Tyneside).

BMW - Same experience as Jaguar. Wanted to try and M5 and compare to an M340i/440i/850i. Nothing. As I walked away the receptionist came out to apologise to me, clearly she wasn't impressed either.

Did you go and ask someone for some assistance or did you just expect them to approach you?

Soldato
is it me or is it not better to phone ahead and book a time if you're going in to look at something specific? Allow them to get the correct car ready etc

Man of Honour
is it me or is it not better to phone ahead and book a time if you're going in to look at something specific? Allow them to get the correct car ready etc

I agree. It's always amusing to watch people on the internet complaining nobody ran over to welcome them the second they decided to turn up unannounced to test drive every 600bhp car the dealer had in stock.

If you call ahead it makes all the difference and seems quite a reasonable thing to do.

Caporegime
OP

And yet 3 out of 5 garages had no problems at all. I don't think getting hold of a set of keys for a car is a particularly strenuous thing? Nor is salesmen tearing themselves away from their private conversations.

Back
Top Bottom