Origin is awful

Soldato
It's not just me though is it? :) It took me two seconds to find that even tech sites are also complaining about the service.

As for the server issues, they should have expected the bandwidth to increase with the bundle and added rented cloud solutions to deal with the load if they aren't prepared to buy more hardware to make the service run optimally.

10 people posting a problem on 10 different forums will make it look like the problem is a lot more severe than it actually is. Most people are very likely to not be having any trouble whatsoever.

I very much doubt after giving away 6-8 games they want to spend more money on servers. The 90% of people having a positive impression of Origin and EA will vastly outweigh the benefit of paying for additional servers to impress the other 10%.

Soldato
10 people posting a problem on 10 different forums will make it look like the problem is a lot more severe than it actually is. Most people are very likely to not be having any trouble whatsoever.

I very much doubt after giving away 6-8 games they want to spend more money on servers. The 90% of people having a positive impression of Origin and EA will vastly outweigh the benefit of paying for additional servers to impress the other 10%.
I'm not talking about forums though, I'm talking about actual tech and news sites where people are paid to write content but we can add people who post on forums to the list as well.

Do you have a source to state that 90% of Origin's customers are satisfied?

Give a good impression to the customer of your service so they buy more from you. This is especially important when you are EA a company who was voted worst company in the USA, twice. Destroyed game series and stuck the middle finger up to their customers.

Soldato
And it's not exactly a mystery as to why some people are having trouble with downloads. Hundreds of thousands of people all trying to download the same games isn't exactly going to be easy on their servers, is it...

Except this thread wasn't created to complain about slow downloads. It was created because the downloads were stopping and not restarting, a problem others have reported too.
That seems more like an origin client bug, than a bandwidth demand issue.

Associate
It's not just me though is it? :) It took me two seconds to find that even tech sites are also complaining about the service.

As for the server issues, they should have expected the bandwidth to increase with the bundle and added rented cloud solutions to deal with the load if they aren't prepared to buy more hardware to make the service run optimally.

I presume you have the same opinion for Steam? Their servers have the same problem every major sale. Most of the time you can't even access the store front page due to server load.

Soldato
That seems more like an origin client bug, than a bandwidth demand issue.
I've now downloaded three big titles, off peak, this week without any obvious issues. I think it's safe to say that the Origin servers will have had their busiest week ever though, and I really do think some of the complaints in this thread are fairly petty.

We paid almost nothing for these games, and EA lose money on the bandwidth and potential future sales. For once I'm siding with EA and suggesting people develop a little patience under the circumstances.

Caporegime
I'm not talking about forums though, I'm talking about actual tech and news sites where people are paid to write content but we can add people who post on forums to the list as well.

Do you have a source to state that 90% of Origin's customers are satisfied?

Give a good impression to the customer of your service so they buy more from you. This is especially important when you are EA a company who was voted worst company in the USA, twice. Destroyed game series and stuck the middle finger up to their customers.

Yet you're acting like no one has issues on steam TODAY that have been around for years.

Outside of this bundle Origin is by many if not most people stated to max out there connections when Steam very very rarely does for people on even half decent connections. I could never get Steam to max out my 12mb/s connection let alone when that got upgraded to 80mb/s, Origin ALWAYS maxed out any connection I have, always and many people have had the same.

As for DRM, almost none of the games I have actually required Origin to be open after the game is downloaded. I downloaded a digital version of Dragon Age origins, I can play that with Origin closed, I can do the same with most of the other games I have within Origin(with one or two exceptions). With Steam, every game requires steam to be open, and after a laggy open to the software it usually bangs on about an update. As multiple people on this forum alone have stated, offline mode with Steam is, years later, still by far the most buggy pile of poo there is.

My internet goes down, the majority of my Origin games are playable, the majority of my steam games aren't, which is the more "DRM" infested pile of overbearing poop?

Origin is simple, basic, pretty quick, maxes my downloads, and has better sales on games that aren't 34 years old. Crucially Origin FREQUENTLY does codes for pre-order games, Crysis 2 for 50% off a year before launch that many people got... while a similar AAA game on Steam will be more expensive on steam than ANY other source and will remain the most expensive source for a couple of years at least....

The rabid fanboyism for steam does my head in because they make excuses why its the most expensive platform for buying games, then loads of people offset this by buying loads of games they'll never play in the sales... without realising they are simply being conned into buying "cheap" games.

As a test I just found the .exe for Just Cause 2(through the ridiculous convulted file system of Steam), double click, game is STILL starting because Steam wanted to do an update... wooo. I open a similar game in Origin, by going directly to the game folder where I chose to install it, double click .exe, game opens without any delays, without any forced updates, without logging into steam, without having to update and restart steam.

Soldato
I won't lie, as much as I hate EA Origin has improved in my opinion. It used to be awful when it 1st came out but now it feels a lot snappier though it's still not as good as Steam. You also need to customize a bit in the options but once that's done it's been flawless for me.

Soldato
Yet you're acting like no one has issues on steam TODAY that have been around for years.

Outside of this bundle Origin is by many if not most people stated to max out there connections when Steam very very rarely does for people on even half decent connections. I could never get Steam to max out my 12mb/s connection let alone when that got upgraded to 80mb/s, Origin ALWAYS maxed out any connection I have, always and many people have had the same.

As for DRM, almost none of the games I have actually required Origin to be open after the game is downloaded. I downloaded a digital version of Dragon Age origins, I can play that with Origin closed, I can do the same with most of the other games I have within Origin(with one or two exceptions). With Steam, every game requires steam to be open, and after a laggy open to the software it usually bangs on about an update. As multiple people on this forum alone have stated, offline mode with Steam is, years later, still by far the most buggy pile of poo there is.

My internet goes down, the majority of my Origin games are playable, the majority of my steam games aren't, which is the more "DRM" infested pile of overbearing poop?

Origin is simple, basic, pretty quick, maxes my downloads, and has better sales on games that aren't 34 years old. Crucially Origin FREQUENTLY does codes for pre-order games, Crysis 2 for 50% off a year before launch that many people got... while a similar AAA game on Steam will be more expensive on steam than ANY other source and will remain the most expensive source for a couple of years at least....

The rabid fanboyism for steam does my head in because they make excuses why its the most expensive platform for buying games, then loads of people offset this by buying loads of games they'll never play in the sales... without realising they are simply being conned into buying "cheap" games.

As a test I just found the .exe for Just Cause 2(through the ridiculous convulted file system of Steam), double click, game is STILL starting because Steam wanted to do an update... wooo. I open a similar game in Origin, by going directly to the game folder where I chose to install it, double click .exe, game opens without any delays, without any forced updates, without logging into steam, without having to update and restart steam.
Not once have I compared it to steam I am judging it on it's own merits. Nor did I make comment on the download speeds or DRM.

I want Origin to be good because as a consumer competition benefits me.

Soldato
Does any1 have same problem as me when downloading? its like 90% done then it drops back to like 74% ?!? like 10 times now what is going on? im sure its not my internet, as I have downloaded few games successful like 2 days ago.

Associate
Does any1 have same problem as me when downloading? its like 90% done then it drops back to like 74% ?!? like 10 times now what is going on? im sure its not my internet, as I have downloaded few games successful like 2 days ago.

Not here, Origin has been trouble free for me. Just completed my Humble Bundle downloads without any issues.

Soldato

The people complaining about Origin may have issues with steam too, you know. This is a thread about Origin's issues.

Regarding your complaints about steam:
I have sometimes experienced slow down with steam, but usually it downloads at my line's max. By contrast, my one attempt to download an origin game, it stopped 4 times and needed me to kill the process and restarted it to get it to resume.

When it was downloading, it was reporting a speed higher than my line is capable of (someone else noted this earlier). If the speed it reports isn't reliable, there's no way to tell whether it gives faster speeds than steam without actually timing them both.

Origin does NOT have better sales than steam. People who say that are very selective in their comparisons. Steam does have good sales on most new games. You also have to consider the other vendors who have sales on steam game, like GMG - all of which count as benefits to steam in my mind.

Steam's offline mode is broken for a substantial number of people. I agree with you there completely.

I also agree that steam updates can be a pain. Back when I had a bandwidth cap, I didn't have steam loading with windows because the inability to lock down when steam would start updating stuff (or the very clunky way you have to disable it for each game) was a real pain. Now that I have unlimited cap I just have steam loading all the time, but I agree this is an issue and valve are very, very slow to provide updates to steam that users have been demanding for years.

Regarding steam's "convoluted" folder structure - this structure is what makes steam so easy to reinstall when upgrading windows or your computer. It's a feature, not a bug. If you need to go into game folders very often, I suggest creating a folder shortcut, to the steam/steamapps folder.

So, yes, steam is flawed, and has good points and bad points. But again, isn't this thread about Origin? Why do people who have a hate on for steam have to bring it into every complaint about other services?

Back
Top Bottom