OS X 10.7 (Lion) GM Released

Associate
Few issues here, some have been pointed out already.

Gestures not working properly with Firefox (please don't suggest Safari, I'm not interested). Had to modify default trackpad options to allow 3 finger page back/forward. 3 finger page start/end doesn't work and no option changes will restore that. I see there is a download suggested above to restore this functionality. Gonna wait until Apple/Firefox fix this though.

Just cannot understand the new 'natural' scroll direction. I get that they are trying to integrate this with iOS and touch screens, HOWEVER trackpads/mice and touch screens are fundamentally different. Swipe UP to read DOWN? WTF?! OK, you can get used to it if you want, but why change something that isn't broken and is logical too?

Much prefer 3 finger down to activate expose/MC. Not possible now. Talking about MC, maybe this is something I have not understood but it now appears to operate differently to expose, let me explain - if you have some apps minimised and some running on the desktop, when you activate MC the minimised apps do not appear. Perhaps I've got this wrong but under SL they all appeared right? I find this very annoying...

gfxCardStatus not working correctly. I guess/hope a fix is coming...

Pretty naf background screen image on the login windows. Don't think you can change this?

As previously mentioned many times, launchpad seems utterly pointless.

In fact, now I write this all down, I realise I prefer almost nothing about Lion over SL. Very disappointed. Presume only option to revert to SL is a reinstall?

Caporegime
Wait till Lion is 'officially' out - I would imagine a lot of fixes will come out and updated apps too :)

You can change the scrolling as well, I did on my mine...SO much better :)

Associate
I know you can switch the scrolling. However this attitude of 'fixing something not broken' is awash in Lion, with no meaningful improvements as far as I can see.

Firefox keeps crashing too.

I'm a pretty new mac/osx user. I'm not a fanboy of anything, just use what I think is best. I loved everything about my MBP when a got it recently (and still like and use W7 on my desktop machine). However, IMHO Lion is garbage. I'm reinstalling SL at the earliest opportunity.

Should have read macrumors before installing - the number of fanboys over there whining kinda gives the game away...

Soldato
This has got to be the first upgrade to OS X that i'm really not bothered about. The "new" features aren't really groundbreaking for me so i think i'll hold out and see what happens.

At the moment. I want speed and stability first and foremost.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I am kinda tempted to revert to snow leopard. There is some nice visual candy going on in places but it doesnt make up for the issues in other areas. Im sure that some of the issues will be sorted by launch but some of them are simply poor decisions on apples part.

They seem so obsessed with their iOS and the success that it has had that they are missing the obvious point that a laptop is not a touchscreen device.

Its easier to look at my applications in finder than launch pad.
I do know what applications I have on my computer so use alfred to launch anything.

I dont want 10 odd gb taken for a restore partition (this partition not displayed as a partition in your disks btw).

Many of the features (visual) seem to only apply to the latest applications from apple and screw with other programs. Magic prefs is of no use any more. I can't get scrolling and back / forwards working nicely with the magic mouse in anything but safari.

Memory usage is dodgy as well, I assumed that it was just spotlight re-indexing but after that was done the issue remains.

Put bluntly they have delivered an update that seems all flash over functionality and I do worry that anyone that uses macs beyond the scope of a casual user may have to look elsewhere in the next few years if this trend continues.

Caporegime
I know you can switch the scrolling. However this attitude of 'fixing something not broken' is awash in Lion, with no meaningful improvements as far as I can see.

Firefox keeps crashing too.

I'm a pretty new mac/osx user. I'm not a fanboy of anything, just use what I think is best. I loved everything about my MBP when a got it recently (and still like and use W7 on my desktop machine). However, IMHO Lion is garbage. I'm reinstalling SL at the earliest opportunity.

Should have read macrumors before installing - the number of fanboys over there whining kinda gives the game away...

Why are you surprised about FF?

Lion isn't officially out, so FF isn't going to be ready for it yet :)

Associate
I struggle to see what is bad about this release? Ignoring iCal and Address book. Most of the changes can either be easily ignored or aren't big enough to not quickly get used to. I switched my gestures back to how they were on SL, except for how to navigate through spaces.

Which is brilliant, mission control is fantastic when used full screen apps and the gestures used to switch between them. Has increased my productivity on a 15" laptop loads! People comparing it to vista are silly. It is still as solid and stable SL was ignoring a few glitches with new features. It runs your apps faster than it used to (after your first use after install or so).

Last edited:
Associate
CQi6E.png

I personally don't use it much on Mac OS X, so I'm not too bothered. But the gimmicky approach to them seems to ignore anyone who uses it regularly, feels a little fiddly.

Permabanned
I agree it is gimmicky looking and I would have preferred something a bit more professional looking (as I don't like the look of the address book in SL either), but the overall layout is unchanged. Userlist on the left, details on the right. All that's changed really is the aesthetic of the application window.

Soldato
MBP is now 8GB after running windows and doing astrophotography with 17MB per frame was starting to put some stress on the HD.

Windows 7 32bit running under Parallels 6 now flies as I've given the VM 4GB.. so 2.7GB in use in windows.. but the windows index graphics mark has gone from 2.0 to 6.0. World of Tanks is now very very playable :D

I've been using Lion for a while.. personally I have a love-hate relationship with it.

Annoyingly for me my AppStore for both the MBP and the iPhone are down.. all I wanted was a french language app for the train!

Permabanned
Can I ask something, I was thinking about getting a Macbook Air when they come out but I have a question.

Is the MBP memory upgradable by us and not by Apple Certified Engineers? If so what is the maximum capacity MBP can go.

Is the hard drive upgradable bu us and not Apple Certified Engineers? If so what is the maximum capacity MBP can go.

Back
Top Bottom