Overclocking guide for newbies here...

Permabanned
Originally posted by dmpoole
LOL, it was 7 am in the morning :)

Lol, fair enough mate, I was assuming it was 7am at night, so I wasn't understanding the mistake :D :p

Sorry dude, had to :D

Speaking of overclocking stupid things, I actually read earlier that it's possible to OC your Tv-card :eek:

Darkmaul

D

Darkmaul

XP2500 Overclock

Hello Folks

I'm new to this overclocking world. So be easy on me.

I have overclocked my Athlon XP2500 to XP3200 status, system temp 56c using Areo 7 cooler from cooler master, Artic Ceramic paste cause it's non coductive and save to use on Amd processors.

When I first overclocked my CPU it crashed when running Unreal Tournament 2004, couldn't understand why? Then after a few weeks of reading on the net I took the plunge and upped my VCore voltage, Chip runs stable now under all conditions, CPU temps using Gigabyte Easy Tune 4 reads 55 - 57c on a gigabyte GA-7n400 Pro2 motherboard. 1ghz of Geil Dual channel Pc3200 400Mhz, Ati Radeon 9700pro, Audigy2 sound card. And using 1 intake fan and one out take fan.

Not Bad for first overclock!! :D

beh

beh

Associate
Good thread, thankyou for the effort people have put into it :) It was very helpful in guiding me through my first overclock. 2500 Barton at 11*200.

Associate
help

hi. i have an amd duron 900 mhz right now and want to have some fun with it by oc'ing it before i upgrade my pc.
now, if i for an example want to oc it to 1.2 ghz what vcore should i have and multiplier and fsb?

default is 100 fsb, 900 mhz, 1.6 vcore multiplier i dont know...

mobo : msi k7
ram: 512 400 mhz

Soldato
Multiplier will be 9.

Try running it with a FSB of 133mhz. That would give you roughly 1.2Ghz.

You'll be lucky to get that out of it and it wont make much real life difference.

Associate
What is the highest stable FSB you can get with the NF7-S v2 ?

I'm on either 221 or 222, Using Trats bois as I mentioned earlier. This gives me DDR speed of 440! This memory is still on pretty tight timings 11, 3, 3, 2.5. Well I thinki that's thight. If I get the DDR spped up higher (and I'm sure of the CPU) its not 100% stable in prime. I'm not sure why. I think something need more juice, but I don't think it is the CPU.

Has anyone got a faster stable FSB, with the NF7? How did you do it?

Soldato
Originally posted by cables
What is the highest stable FSB you can get with the NF7-S v2 ?

I'm on either 221 or 222, Using Trats bois as I mentioned earlier. This gives me DDR speed of 440! This memory is still on pretty tight timings 11, 3, 3, 2.5. Well I thinki that's thight. If I get the DDR spped up higher (and I'm sure of the CPU) its not 100% stable in prime. I'm not sure why. I think something need more juice, but I don't think it is the CPU.

Has anyone got a faster stable FSB, with the NF7? How did you do it?

You need to do a very simple pencil trick to get over 220 ~ 225 fsb on the NF7-S and be 100% rock solid stable. I could hit 230fsb and it'd be ok for simple desktop work but would fail on games / stress testing.

I can now hit 245fsb, but I'm hitting the limit on my PC3200 Twinmoss RAM at anything over that. That's 490mhz DDR from some cheap PC3200 though!;)

There is a drawback to this mod though and it's that you'll never really know how much voltage you're actually feeding to the northbridge as the voltage boost the pencil trick give's doesn't register in the BIOS.
So if you rub a pencil on the resistor, thus lowerering the resistance and raising the voltage, it will still only show as 1.7v in the BIOS (the maximum the BIOS allows on this board).

Though tbh, if you take your time and just apply a bit at a time you should be ok. The guide I used said to use a voltage meter, which I did, but it never showed any difference. I thought it hadn't worked and rubbed the pencil on about 7 times lol.:D
Yet when I booted it back up I could easily get past my previous best of 225fsb, even with just 1.6v. Before I did the mod I had to up the voltage to 1.7v just to get over 195fsb.

I'll try and find the link to the guide I used, I also think I've got some pic's somewhere in my backup folders.

mac

mac

Associate
is dynamic overclocking on the msi k8n a good idea? - i couldnt believe how dodgy it seemed when i first herd about it...:eek: probably not the most conventional method of overclocking you might say.....

Associate
wow great post. just finished buyin the bits i needed to upgrade and was gonna start to oc, but didnt know how! gonna follow the post and see how i go on. now i have a guide to follow souldnt be to hard!!!

thanks again.

Consigliere
After scanning this thread, i'm still a tiny bit confused but hey, thats natural.

My aim is to overclock my PARENTS Sony by about 0.2Ghz, just bring it up to 2.8Ghz. Its a Northwood and i've got CPU-Z and a few other programs like that. I've yet to explore my BIOS yet and my motherboard is an Asus P4SD-VX and yeah, prebuilt Sony-may be a problem?

Thanks.

Permabanned
Word of advice sidewinder; never, ever, under any circumstances, overclock your parents machine.

There have only been a few really stupid things I've tried to do with this machine, and one of them was overclock it. 'Course theres nothing stupid in overclocking, but people who dont know much about computers, but know enough, hate that word like the devil. Basicly, wait till you get your own one before trying out OC'ing.

Back
Top Bottom