Overnight Oatmeal

Soldato
I didn't realise this was a 'thing' either. This has been a common breakfast for me for years.

I usually blend a banana with vanilla whey and almond milk. Mix that with oats (I like the big Flahavans ones) and add...
Chia seeds
Sunflower seeds
Pumpkin seeds
Chopped nuts sometimes
Dried currants or cranberries

I usually top it off with fresh fruit, blueberries and strawberries my fav at the moment.

Soldato
it is all about the timing in the recipe though - not to end up with a soppy mess of oats and preserving some bite,
the rolled oats I buy large organic (lol)... but what does that mean - need some indication of absorbancy, rolling thickness ?
are sodden (glycaemic index destroyed?) if I put some in milk, and leave in my desk for the next day t+12hrs ;)
whereas for pinhead oats, an overnight soak is ideal for quicker porridge (uwave at work); but cold, they are still too solid.

Soldato
I have been eating this for ages. Just mix 40g of oats, three big tablespoons of greek yoghurt and some honey together. Chop some blueberries or a banana or both in, in the morning.
Job done.

Soldato
The one I've been enjoying is:

1/2 Cup Oats
1/2 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Greek Yoghurt
diced apple (reciepe said 1/4 Cup but I just chopped up a whole apple into chunks)
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon (I add a bit more as I love cinnamon)
1 teaspoon Maple Syrup.

If in the morning you find it a bit 'cloggy' when you come to eat it, add a splash of milk to loosen it up.

Soldato
My favourite recipe is a very simple one.

40g rolled oats
175g yoghurt
frozen red fruit

My favourite yoghurt is the Iceland fat free stuff. It's a looser consitency than others I've tried but it tastes good.

Berries, again, Iceland are my preffered brand. I used to use Waitrose stuff (from Ocado) but gave Iceland a try as it's significantly cheaper. The Iceland berries are a bit more variable in that one bag has more blackcurrants than others but I don't mind that - the taste is better, I end up with a slightly sharper taste to my breakfast.

So I end up going to Iceland just for yoghurt and frozen berries. I buy quite a lot at once and go by Iceland fairly often going to/from the train station so it's not too much of an inconvenience.

Soldato
I do not usually use 'fresh' blue-berries from the likes of South America/ Chile, but tv article last night (Greg Wallace comic)
suggested that harvesting could have been two months ago (corroborated here )
so although vitamin aspect maybe intact, that confirms why the taste is Meh, so dried or frozen fruit remain preferred add-ins,
or wait until Spanish/eu ones.

..will try Iceland now.

Associate
I do not usually use 'fresh' blue-berries from the likes of South America/ Chile, but tv article last night (Greg Wallace comic)
suggested that harvesting could have been two months ago (corroborated here )
so although vitamin aspect maybe intact, that confirms why the taste is Meh, so dried or frozen fruit remain preferred add-ins,
or wait until Spanish/eu ones.

..will try Iceland now.

Same thing applies to British potatoes and apples as well while watching supermarket secrets with Greg Wallace presenting.

Soldato
yes they are kept too, for much longer periods (apples/potatoes last in my garage for 5months no special conditions), but, they are not a delicate blueberry,
and probably like a strawberry, the taste differential between pick your own in a local field, and an April offering in Tescos, is significant, not to mention imports.
Unfortunately we never get similar opportunity with a blueberry (unless they crack a UK billberry/blue-berry hybrid the tv article discussed)
saying that - maye there is some uk farmed crop.

Soldato
Just made up my first batch now, put in the fridge at work.

3/4 mug oats
1/2 mug honey flavoured greek yoghurt
1/4 mug milk
15ish blueberries

Will report back tomorrow morning

Associate
utter nub question what the best ratio for overnight oats?

Got myself a bag of frozen berries, oats, milk and Greek yogurt ready to go

Personally, I keep it simple with a 1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup yoghurt and 1/3 cup milk.

Add a teaspoon of milled chia seeds to thicken, pitch of salt and frozen fruit to taste.

Soldato
1/2 mug honey flavoured greek yoghurt
what is in that sugar wise ? - sound like the taste of the blue-berries would be masked.

(slighly different but gave up telling the folks at work to look at the contents of their quaker ready-mix concreteporridge, when the real think was just as fast)

Soldato
I dont get it, i cook them in about 2 minutes in the microwave, half water half milk, bit of honey at the end. What does slow cooking them achieve.

Soldato
It's a different way of preparing oats. It's not the same as porridge irrespective of serving temperature.

I don't really like porridge, I need to sweeten it quite a lot to make it taste good but with the overnight recipe the sweeness and sharpness comes from the fruit. Also, once I've sweetened up porridge I still don't like to meal as miuch as the overnight oats.

Permabanned
Tried these again after not liking them much when I tried last year.

I've made a Cherry Bakewell inspired version:

1/4 Cup of oats
1/2 Cup almond milk (unroasted/unsweetened)
Handful of frozen cherries
Dessicated coconut

Not bad at all but will try next time with roasted almond milk and add a little coconut sugar to sweeten a little bit. Also made the above with a teaspoon of cacao powder and that worked really well. :)

Back
Top Bottom