Overnight Oatmeal

Soldato
Waitrose own brand are nearly half the price of Duchy organic ones and work for overnight oats absolutely fine.

Not quite. Waitrose oats are £1.35/kilo (and seemingly always out of stock) and the Duchy oats are £1.79/kilo (yay for Smart Pass discount). I'd buy the Waitrose oats if they were in stick.

Soldato
Any votes for Flahavans rolled oats - seems they may toast them differently, and although people discuss toasting rolled oats, it is rather an afterthought and maybe taste is better, if it was done before the steaming/rolling.

Flahavan’s process differs from their competitors, however. “The other guys will husk their oats first, but we kiln the oats whole, with the husk still on, which means that they can spend longer in the kiln. It gives them a lovely nutty flavour,” said John.

Some of the oats in muselis's seem to have a more nutty flavour, but maybe I am being conned and they have been coated.

will take a couple of minutes to cook and have a better taste. But visually there is not too much of a difference. But get slightly too thick on these and the taste, ratios needed suddenly will result in your porridge going starchy or gloopy.
... and cooking time will be slightly different.
there maybe a dormant OC porridge thread :confused:

Soldato
Not quite. Waitrose oats are £1.35/kilo (and seemingly always out of stock) and the Duchy oats are £1.79/kilo (yay for Smart Pass discount). I'd buy the Waitrose oats if they were in stick.
Looking on Ocado now the Duchy's are £2.02 for 1kg (usually £2.25) and Waitrose own are £1.35 for 1kg. And we get a bag of Waitrose own practically every week from Ocado, I've never seen it out of stock :confused:

Associate
I love it. My favourite way of having porridge for breakfast or anytime of the day. I was just thinking of finishing the left over in the fridge.

Associate
Iam a porridge connoisseur and put it down to one of the things that has helped me lose 8 and a half stone. personally i find them to soft and not as filling when you soak them overnight.g

Soldato
40g of oats, half a big pot of Greek style yoghurt, tablespoon of honey and a teaspoon of peanut butter. Mix it up and eat the next day.

Slightly indulgent, but the sour / sweet / salty combination is delicious.

Soldato
In case you ever forget to do these the night before, Tesco's own porridge oats are good to in an hour. Not sure if thats because they are crap quality on not but they taste good to me.

Commissario
That's a lot of yoghurt! I do half a bowl of oats, two dessert spoons of yoghurt and enough milk to suspend the oats.
50g frozen cherries and 50g frozen blueberries on the bottom of the jar.
50g of oats on the fruit
200g of Sainsbury low fat greek style yoghurt on the top
Tap the bottom of the jar to get it all to settle and bung it in the fridge for 12 hours minimum.

382 calories of yumminess.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
If i forget to make them overnight, I just stick it in the nurtibullet and add some ice and whizz that bad boy up.

40g Old Fashioned oats
Easyio Full fat Yogurt (Worth making your own, full fat = less sugars kinda and taste so much nicer)
100g Frozen fruit
10g Chia seeds

Soldato
Tesco's own porridge oats are good to in an hour
otherwise whose oats. ?
the taste of the overnight oats becomes a bit buried with a lot of toppings vs porridge.
have recently become a fan of buywholefoodsonline.com ~£1.5/Kg for porridge and overnight, but they are probably overkill.

[
Can you just leave these in a bowl or do you need a mason jar/lid?
if you usually leave uncovered stuff in the fridge then continue ... otherwise cling ]

Soldato
We just use a tupperware. Gets 4 portions in -- so enough for 2 days. Saves making it every night too. As for toppings we have a variety.. generally I go for chia seeds, chopped dates, 8 almonds (exactly! :p), chopped banana, and honey. Occasionally some blueberries, or other fruit.

Caporegime
Iam a porridge connoisseur and put it down to one of the things that has helped me lose 8 and a half stone. personally i find them to soft and not as filling when you soak them overnight.g

Plus they are cold, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Soldato
Been having this every morning since Tuesday. I don't measure anything to the gram but my usual portion is;
1x MyProtein scoop of Flahavans jumbo organic oats
2x big spoonfuls of full fat greek yoghurt
Few blueberries
Half a banana
tablespoon of honey and a pinch of salt

I've been going to bed looking forward to breakfast since :D

Back
Top Bottom