Overnight Oatmeal

Soldato
34921706313_dd309a659b_o_d.jpg

inspired by overnight-breakfast-rice-pudding/

sultanas/pineapple/maple/cinnamon
VcUSCH

Soldato
I've had terrible experience with pineapple in porridge, will never be trying that again.

Currently having good success with 3 parts oats, 3 parts milk, 1 parts yoghurt, and then a handful of blueberries, blackberries or any other berry.

Soldato
terrible experience with pineapple in porridge
something that is acidic, though, as opposed to just sweet, adds some contrast - cut up tangerine this morning.
(none of their clementine / satsuma bretheren), have not tried blackcurrants, but even blueberries can be a bit lost.

Soldato
I get what you mean, I enjoy the acidity too. Something just went weird last time I did it though. Maybe that's because it was hot cooked porridge, but the pineapple itself went a really weird flavour.

I love using blackberries, if you halve them first then the milk goes purple and delicious.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Frozen fruit is the way forward

50g Large Rolled oats
80g Yogurt (I make my own, full fat vanilla stuff)
100ml Almond Milk
40g Blueberries
40g Raspberries

Stick in a soupcup lakeland thing and bang it in the fridge overnight. NOM NOM NOM

Also go to ICELAND to buy your frozen fruit, mega cheap.

Soldato
Finally tried this for breakfast this morning.

Two portions (me and the girlfriend)
1 cup oats
1 cup milk
1/2 cup Greek yoghurt
Chia seeds
Sliced apples
Dash of lemon juice

It was really very nice, although the apple was way too chunky as I was in a rush. Should have grated it. I added some banana, almonds and a drizzle of honey in the morning. Yum. Great texture.

Has anyone made bigger batches to last through the week or just a few days?

Will definitely get some frozen fruit in I reckon.. Probably add a pinch of salt as well.

Soldato
Overnight oats are a staple for me during the week now. Been amending the amount of milk to yogurt i've been putting in them. Think i've found whats right for me though now. Even tried it with just water and no milk or yoghurt but needed to add sugar to make it eatable so think i'll be giving that a miss lol

Soldato
I'm having overnight oats most mornings (probably 6 days a week) and have found that I'm not starving hungry at 11am. It may be a placebo but I am sure I can concentrate better in the mornings too.

My recipe hasn't changed much but I'm chucking in a few frozen cherries (annoyingly they nearly all still have the stones still in them - thanks Tesco!) and often a few chunks of frozen mango.

Soldato
I'm having overnight oats most mornings (probably 6 days a week) and have found that I'm not starving hungry at 11am. It may be a placebo but I am sure I can concentrate better in the mornings too.
Well, it's oats innit? I haven't eaten anything apart from porridge and occasionally muesli for breakfast for yonks. Oats are well known to be full of slow-releasing energy. I can't fathom how people have a slice of toast in the morning and expect that to keep them going until lunch. I'd be hungry an hour later! Same goes for sugary breakfast cereals, cornflakes etc.

The only time I go for anything different is on holiday/travelling where you can get some eggs etc. Protein fills you up as well as oats. Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon is my go-to treat breakfast :)

Permabanned
Oh how I would love to sub out my old stand by of 3 Wheetabix for something like this. I just can't stand the texture of porridge! The thought of it cold is just unfathomable to me!

Last edited:
Don
Oh how I would love to sub out my old stand by of 3 Wheetabix for something like this. I just can't stand the texture of porridge! The thought of it cold is just unfathomable to me!

If you want to change it up a bit, Weetabix works really well broken up and mixed with fruit and yogurt.

Soldato
So I decided to buy some Quaker 'rolled' oats, as I hear they are what you should use, so expected an improvement on my Tesco Value 50p/sack oats.

But what I've ended up with is like wallpaper paste, two days in a row. It reminds me of ready-brek, but obviously cold. I've not been exactly precise with my measurements, but I've not consciously changed any ratios since switching oats.

Anyone else found similar? Is there a particular type of oats people find work best?

Soldato
We use Waitrose own brand oats and they're perfect. Although to be honest you could say any type of oatmeal is a bit like wallpaper paste. It should never be sticky though.

We use a ratio of 2/2/1 of oats/milk/greek yoghurt. Basically same amount of milk to oats, then half yoghurt. Works great, ends up like slightly runny porridge.

Soldato
I'm using Waitrose organic Duchy oats, only because they're the cheapest that Ocado sell. My recipe is 40g oats, 200g yoghurt and a handful of frozen red fruit. In my opinion it tastes great.

At the moment I'm using Tesco 'perfectly imperfect' frozen red fruit and Tesco sweet cherries. I'll give the cherries a miss when I've finished this bag as the stoning of the cherries is very hit and miss. Mostly miss.

Last edited:
Soldato
But what I've ended up with is like wallpaper paste,
will depend how long you let them soak too.
... but there was a comment earlier about batch prep for week - not convinced by that idea - oats eventually go to sludge(like weetabix)

Associate
So I decided to buy some Quaker 'rolled' oats, as I hear they are what you should use, so expected an improvement on my Tesco Value 50p/sack oats.

But what I've ended up with is like wallpaper paste, two days in a row. It reminds me of ready-brek, but obviously cold. I've not been exactly precise with my measurements, but I've not consciously changed any ratios since switching oats.

Anyone else found similar? Is there a particular type of oats people find work best?

The main difference between all the types of 'rolled' oats is the thickness. The instant oats (rolled steel cuts) which you get around 0.4mm-0.6mm thick are the ones which take the shortest time to cook and in my experience go starchy. These are also the ones you'd get in ready-brek. Quick Oats (are slightly thicker rolled steel cuts) will take a couple of minutes to cook and have a better taste. But visually there is not too much of a difference. But get slightly too thick on these and the taste, ratios needed suddenly will result in your porridge going starchy or gloopy.

If you've swapped brands they're likely at a different thickness which will change your perception of the quality as the ratio of water/milk and cooking time will be slightly different.

Rolled oats are essentially whole oats which have been rolled and these are the large ones which take far far longer to cook. That taste I find the best though, much more toasted and oaty.

Back
Top Bottom