Overwatch

Soldato
On my fresh alt (no season 3 experience at all) I won 6 out of 10 and got placed 2500. Weird how that works - they must look at stats or quick play.

It's because your hidden MMR is based on some form of averaging... the more total games you have played the less each future game affects your MMR (either positively or negatively) - so winning a game on a fresh account can easily be equivalent to many many wins on an established account...

I'm not doing so bad this season (hopefully not speaking to soon), have been slowly climbing with little dips along the way - currently just under 2900 - getting nervous!

Associate
Okay, I'm on the discord now but sorry everyone I missed the session last night. No evening meetings today so looking forward to some GGs.

Yeah they do indeed but we were talking about fresh accounts with no previous seasons played :p

Ah right. I think while it may seem a bit odd, I'm sure the stats Blizzard have access to all make sense in the end! haha.

Associate
Overwatch PTR getting a patch soon to reduce the frequency of draws

source: https://www.vg247.com/2017/03/17/ov...-patch-soon-to-reduce-the-frequency-of-draws/

A lot of matches in Overwatch competitive play end in a draw, and Blizzard wants to change that.

A few Overwatch players have voiced their concerns about the high number of draws they’ve been coming across playing the game’s competitive mode.

As one player said on Battle.net forums, getting a draw after giving it your all can feel like you wasted 20 minutes, despite earning XP.

“I would rather get waffle stomped than waste another 20 minutes of my life in a draw,” RedPanda wrote. “At least once a day I get a game where both teams just roll on through and then take the first point but don’t have enough time to even attempt the second point and yawn another draw.”

As is often the case, community issues is something game director Jeff Kaplan monitors closely, and he chimed in to confirm that a new patch is in the works that’s going to bring changes to “greatly diminish the number of draws.”

The patch is due “very soon” on the PTR, with details also coming “extremely soon.” Kaplan also confirmed that Blizzard is working on reducing Capture the Flag and Elimination draws, though we’ll be waiting longer for those changes.

We’ll have all the details as soon Blizzard announces them.

Soldato
This'll be the one after the previous patch and changes "to reduce the frequency of draws"...

All they need to do is lengthen the approach to the final point in 2CP by a little bit...

Or have it so that you can still cap when enemies are on the point, but the cap-rate is based on the difference in team-numbers, e.g:

3v3 on point - no movement, same as 6v6, 4v4 etc.
3v2 on point - very slowly capping for the team with 3, same as 4v3, 6v5
5v1 on point - fairly quickly capping for the team with 5, same as 6v2 or 4 on an empty point

Would take a little balancing but it would stop the current situation - where anything but a near Team Kill with 0 deaths results in failing to cap B

Soldato
Perhaps one of my best games ever (statistically), I hadn't realised how close we were to losing -

I personally like around 19:30 when we're 1-2 down, 90% to the opposition and I almost killed all 6 of them, if Worthy hadn't nicked the last two final blows ;) :p

In the last round I was feeling like we were invincible, great team effort :)

Soldato
found a new love for junkrat. Getting very good with him now. Moving around the map with Mines is fun as hell.
Today i got called a cheater & the enemy team asked me not to play junkrat anymore.

Then when i was put on their team they said please play junkrat :D

Soldato
Junkrat is awesome - he can be a total pain in the bum when he's played well. I joined a quick game as Junkrat on the weekend, after point A had already been lost, 24 eliminations, zero deaths and four gold medals later, the other team were cursing me something rotten :D

Same with Torbjorn - people might make a face when you select him, but set your turret up in a good spot, and you'll be getting cursed by the foe all day long. Annoyingly, it only ever lists your armour uptime when it comes to getting votes at the end of the day, even when you've smashed the other team to bits. Also, his rivet gun does plenty damage (up close he can practically one-shot many of the offence heroes with the secondary mode).

Both, of course, far more useful in defence.

To be fair, those two, plus Reinhardt and Mercy are probably the only heroes I consistently play to a reasonable standard. Pharah and Roadhog are on my work-in-progress list and I'd like to get Soldier76 reliable, but it's not coming together yet.

Soldato
I think a lot of the problem people have with Torb (and actually Bastion too, the recent buffs notwithstanding) is more to do with the way people play them...

They key to good turret placement is setting up where you will get to shoot first and hopefully get the kill before the enemy shoots back... so plopping down the turret/yourself with direct line of sight to the opposite side of a choke (which feels intuitive; the enemy is going to come from there, right?) is not good... You'll almost guaranteed be torn up by rockets/sniper fire/arrows long before you have a chance to get any impact. It's always much better to setup without any direct line-of-sight at all, but a good cross-firing position to a sight line which the enemies have to pass but can't easily shoot-down until they do...

Classic example - Volskaya opening choke... a lot of people I see setting up to the left of the dump-truck near the doorway so they can shoot towards the river as the enemies come around the corner... a much better position is directly behind the truck (on the other side to the choke) or to the right of the truck (with vision into the choke but only to the opposite wall)... despite the fact that you won't be able to see anything until enemies try to push into the choke or past the truck...

Then the only thing to worry about is the fact that the enemy team will learn where you are and be able to peek + burst you... as Bastion that's fine because you can just move to anticipate this (and often setup in another sensible cross-fire spot, bonus points if it allows you to kill the enemies as they try to peek your old position)...

Soldato
Keep getting to within 5/10 points of 2500, then losing 3 or 4 games!! lol

Junkrat has always been one of my better ones - even on attack he can do so much damage at times.

My best I would say - Dva/mercy/junk/solider.

However I love playing Symmetra, usually pretty decent with her. Working on Hog and Rein and Zen.

I'm usually happy to play whatever and fill. I would like to put more time into in Sombra as I think she will be very useful when Orisa gets released. As well as Junk as he will need to take down the shields etc.

Back
Top Bottom