Overwatch

Soldato
I am glad im not the only one who has had a bit of a rough season.

I cant help but feel I'm the hindrance on the team either? But cant be sure. Even though I'm getting gold heals as a support almost each game - So I have to at least be playing my role a bit.

Game is frustrating as hell sometimes.

Soldato
Finished my placements at 2495 after 7 wins and 3 losses, 3 games later I am close to 2400. Half the people refuse to join comms and do not communicate and the other half seem to be one tricks that just get shut down constantly. Ugh.

Soldato
Finished my placements at 2495 after 7 wins and 3 losses, 3 games later I am close to 2400. Half the people refuse to join comms and do not communicate and the other half seem to be one tricks that just get shut down constantly. Ugh.

Use LFG and specify mic needed. When they join, if they wont reply to you, simply boot them :) You can also specify open profile, if someone clearly only plays one character, boot them... It's a bit more of a hassle to put a team together, but it solves your problems.

I thought my season wasn't going well, but I've actual won something like 24 and lost 25, so not bad I guess. Down at 1950ish though, so would hope for a bit of a winning streak at some point.

I've got the week off, so will probably be on most afternoon or evenings, anyone playing, throw me an invite :)

Soldato
Use LFG and specify mic needed. When they join, if they wont reply to you, simply boot them :) You can also specify open profile, if someone clearly only plays one character, boot them... It's a bit more of a hassle to put a team together, but it solves your problems.

I thought my season wasn't going well, but I've actual won something like 24 and lost 25, so not bad I guess. Down at 1950ish though, so would hope for a bit of a winning streak at some point.

I've got the week off, so will probably be on most afternoon or evenings, anyone playing, throw me an invite :)

I may well add you and throw you an invite :)

As for the LFG, Half the time I just want to pick the game up and play it and not have the hassle of putting together a random group and trawling through profiles. It is 100% a me problem though and there are ways to solve it... but I am lazy lol

Soldato
Played 3 games as Sym last night - won all 3.

Stuff support - Sym all the way now!:p:p:p

I know this is a little tongue-in-cheek but it's still kind of representative of how it is - did playing Sym turn things around? or has the game just finished smashing you down to a lower winrate and suddenly realised that it's gotta shunt you back up towards 50% so it's stacking the games in your favour again...

I had an okay session last night too, won 2 lost 1 I think... in the final game their team had a duo - one plat, one silver, and the silver player was on Widow and waaaay better than they had any right to be... after getting 2 or 3 teamkills virtually solo one of our team called them out for being a smurf and they were just completely blase about it "Yeah, so what? Report me then"... Felt great when we managed to beat them :p

Stu

Stu

Soldato
At the level most of us are playing at, even when the team plays as a team, I often feel that there is a lack of synergy for ults especially, and also sometimes hero selection. I'm playing tank mainly now (as I've come to terms that my dps skills will not get me out of gold), and I get frustrated so often when our team can't change to counter a Pharah or Wrecking Ball; or we have Dva and Winston as tanks, then dps pick Hanzo and never get a single kill from Dragon Strike because there is no Shatter or Grav for CC.

That's not even getting into the specific frustrations when I play Rein... like Mcree/S76/Zen playing just in front of my shield, or Ana giving me a nano when the enemy are still well out of melee range, or me marching forward to the enemy to gain ground, thinking my healing and team are right behind me, and then realising (when I'm dead) I'm on my own because Mercy suddenly decides to fly to a dps or Ana goes on a flank (without saying anything over comms).

However, it's just a game, SR doesn't really matter in life, and I still enjoy it. Mystery Heroes is always a fun break!

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I feel you man, but you'll come back... this digital crack that Blizzard put out is so addictive you'll come crawling back like a battered housewife like we all do...

I was doing good this season as well, placed just into Plat for the first time in quite a few seasons and then over the first week managed to get to almost 2700 which although not totally plain sailing felt like we were winning some fairly tough games... exactly like always happens the game started to make me think that whatever I was trying this time was finally working - "wow people were right, it is possible to climb and maybe it was just my approach all along"

Positivity and hope abound!!!! It's a modern-day miracle!!!

Then since Thursday have lost 16 (yes, not a typo) games in a row... in a row! (and not in one session either, that's across about 4 different sessions) and so now barely about 2400. Not a single one of those 16 games was even remotely what could be considered close - most of the time it felt like the enemy team had been selected by the matchmaker based on their hero stats to give them a perfect comp that would allow them to just naturally play what they were good at and destroy us, whilst we'd have things like 3 people saying "sorry I only know how to play roadhog" and of course hog would be totally useless against whatever they were doing... For the most part there wasn't even any stupid toxicity and bad attitudes, anybody throwing/leaving or any of that usual nonsense that causes losses, which was nice - we were all communicating and making callouts, grouping up, trying not to feed, etc. and still finishing games with team stats like gold elims being 2 or being pushed right back to our spawn for the duration of the match...

Almost can't bring myself to boot the game up anymore... even if it's just variability and I'm about to go on a 15+ run winstreak to balance things out I just don't really care... I don't think I can make myself believe that winning games has anything to do with me, my team or anything anymore other than just that the matchmaker has started putting me against teams that are artificially gimped and destined to lose from the start...

And just like that, hope suffers a quick and painful death...

Just messing with ya! ;)

Soldato
I am glad im not the only one who has had a bit of a rough season.

I cant help but feel I'm the hindrance on the team either? But cant be sure. Even though I'm getting gold heals as a support almost each game - So I have to at least be playing my role a bit.

Game is frustrating as hell sometimes.

You are playing fine but you have to remember that latetly you have been playing with people like 500-800 points higher than you lately so you are never going to be the best in the game.

The important thing is though you are listening and learning and getting play time at the higher levels. After a few weeks of playing in the plat games the gold games will seem much easier.

When you start playing at a higher rank you have to learn the game again you can't suddenly be perfect at it, the meta changes and positioning changes and stuff that works great in gold can be can be really bad in plat and stuff that works great it plat can be practily throwing the game in diamond.

I know you are worried about going back to silver but I don't think that would ever happen, now you have been playing at the higher level and learning from us the silver matches will seem stupidly easy.

When you are leveling up the game changes on the way up and you have to adapt to it and learn to play the game differently if not you will just get stuck at same sr foreva.

I think if we keep playing you will be plat level by end of season, if not this season definitely next.

Soldato
At the level most of us are playing at, even when the team plays as a team, I often feel that there is a lack of synergy for ults especially, and also sometimes hero selection. I'm playing tank mainly now (as I've come to terms that my dps skills will not get me out of gold), and I get frustrated so often when our team can't change to counter a Pharah or Wrecking Ball; or we have Dva and Winston as tanks, then dps pick Hanzo and never get a single kill from Dragon Strike because there is no Shatter or Grav for CC.

That's not even getting into the specific frustrations when I play Rein... like Mcree/S76/Zen playing just in front of my shield, or Ana giving me a nano when the enemy are still well out of melee range, or me marching forward to the enemy to gain ground, thinking my healing and team are right behind me, and then realising (when I'm dead) I'm on my own because Mercy suddenly decides to fly to a dps or Ana goes on a flank (without saying anything over comms).

However, it's just a game, SR doesn't really matter in life, and I still enjoy it. Mystery Heroes is always a fun break!

I've found the opposite... if I'm below 2500 I can climb much better playing dps (especially Pharmercy with the guy I duo queue with)... but somewhere around 2600 there's a sudden shift in player's skills and general level of dps play and I tend to find I can suddenly get much more value out of being a tank (which I think I know how to play well)... I used to wait for others to pick and then fill around them (almost always ending up on tank) but now if I'm at those lower ranks I just stick with dps even when that one player who doesn't pick until 5 seconds before the gates open selects genji despite us having 2 dps already and a completely non-divey comp...

If I try to tank below 2500 I'll typically keep my dps and supports alive for obscene amounts of time (considering), creating oodles of space for them to work and just watch whilst they completely fail to kill anything until sooner or later they spread out too much and I can't peel to protect them all anymore and it all falls apart. I try to make callouts for them and help hint at which heroes they should be focusing on, but even when they seem to listen they can't execute so it has no effect... Far too frustrating for me!

And that's kind of why although I agree with not really caring about SR... for me the few hundred points difference has a big effect on the quality of the games

Stu

Stu

Soldato
You are playing fine but you have to remember that latetly you have been playing with people like 500-800 points higher than you lately so you are never going to be the best in the game.

The important thing is though you are listening and learning and getting play time at the higher levels. After a few weeks of playing in the plat games the gold games will seem much easier.

When you start playing at a higher rank you have to learn the game again you can't suddenly be perfect at it, the meta changes and positioning changes and stuff that works great in gold can be can be really bad in plat and stuff that works great it plat can be practily throwing the game in diamond.

I know you are worried about going back to silver but I don't think that would ever happen, now you have been playing at the higher level and learning from us the silver matches will seem stupidly easy.

When you are leveling up the game changes on the way up and you have to adapt to it and learn to play the game differently if not you will just get stuck at same sr foreva.

I think if we keep playing you will be plat level by end of season, if not this season definitely next.

All wise words! I've only played a couple of sessions with you guys lately, but would like to play more and take advantage of your advice.

Soldato
I'm pretty happy with this potg I got last night with lucio

It was overtime and we was about to lose the match, we were vastly out numbered and down on health but I boooped them over and over until they were all gone.

After the clip finished my next boop got rein off the back of the map :)

Soldato
Boops don't always work out though - watch this one turn this ult into a sextuple:

Disclaimer - this was a typical unwinnable game (for them) rather than any great skill from me ** Edit: ah nevermind it's actually Quickplay I forgot :p

Soldato
Played a bunch of games of Arcade, Mystery Heroes to try and blast through the Ana challenge.

yeah no.

Game 1 Loss
Game 2 Loss
Game 3 Win
Game 4 Loss
Game 5 Loss
Game 6 Loss
Game 7 Loss
Game 8 Loss
Game 9 Win
Game 10 Loss
Game 11 Loss
Game 12 Win
Game 13 Loss
Game 14 Loss
Game 15 Loss
Game 16 Loss
Game 17 Loss
Game 18 Loss
Game 19 Loss
Game 20 Win

Great ratios

Soldato

Thanks Ginny,

Yeah I know what you mean. Its annoying because I know mechanically I am getting a LOT better with Moira when checking out my game stats after games. Ive learned a lot and I appreciate some of you lot taking the time (and risking SR) to play with me.

Its becoming apparent though that in our match ups we lack a solid DPS "most" of the time. When we get a good one via MM its usually a much better outcome!

My healing is now WAY higher than it ever used to be, my death are fewer etc. the other stuff will come with time.

Positioning and shot calling are somethings I know I need to focus on more. But its hard to heal a team who are staggered or split with Moira so sometimes i get tempted to "dive in to save" and as a result pay the price.

I would consider this partially my fault, as i feel its my role to heal as best as possible, but I guess just part of the characters design I need to learn to play around.

I HATE getting moaned for not healing, when normally my stats indicate otherwise and DPS player are playing in front of shields, in a bad position or just feeding constantly.

Soldato
Keep fade for emergencies with Moira - a while back I used to use it all the time. fade forwards to help heal etc and then get caught etc. I use it for backwards moves most of the time. It's saved me so many times.

Soldato
The hardest thing I had to do as a healer was learning to let people die. Doing this made a huge change.

I think this is the best way of summarising what I mean.

Ginny will confirm though, just HOW irritated I get when getting called out for bad heals when I'm healing my balls off. I guess it is because I am constantly thinking of my play negativly so just assume its my mistake.

I know it probably is a good chunk of the time. But in some cases I know its not me or just me.

Back
Top Bottom