Palworld: Pokémon with guns

Oh weird, I literally just read this. They made a point about Palworld not being on there.

agreed i havent seen anything spesifcally menting Palworld. i think tis suficantly differant from pokemon that nintendo would have a hard time taking it to task/law.

Yeah but that's not the same as the lawsuit they've already won.

I know it's not the same, two things are being discussed and it's evidently causing confusion, so I posted Nintendo's latest press release.

They've just won a case they started a few years ago and within days of winning that, have announced they're now going after Pocketpair because of Palworld.

Anyone read it who can summarise the patent being infringed upon? Presumably something like the use of 'capturing capsules' rather than the whole concept of catching monsters?

I've not played in a while but I'd quite like to come back to it at some point so here's hoping the game still exists when I do...

Anyone read it who can summarise the patent being infringed upon? Presumably something like the use of 'capturing capsules' rather than the whole concept of catching monsters?

I've not played in a while but I'd quite like to come back to it at some point so here's hoping the game still exists when I do...
prob wont tell us for a while.
at least on the link. its very unspesific.
and possibly wont get in to public domain until palworld has a chance to review and respond. it could be stated in lawsuit its not for public domain ect?

but issue could be art work is to similar, to also a spesific game mechanic. it could be Nintendo trying there luck. its amazing what you can law suit over some times :D

megathread_nintendo_lawsuit started so worth watching that for updates.

"Yesterday, a lawsuit was filed against our company for patent infringement.

We have received notice of this lawsuit and will begin the appropriate legal proceedings and investigations into the claims of patent infringement.

At this moment, we are unaware of the specific patents we are accused of infringing upon, and we have not been notified of such details."

that all said im on nintendos side if its legitament. but on the game side for anything else. if that makes sense.

Last edited:
that all said im on nintendos side if its legitament. but on the game side for anything else. if that makes sense.

I have no faith at all that it will be so clear cut.

Fully expecting some deliberately vaguely described mechanic is claimed as nintendos and therefore palworld owes them $100m because if you squint a bit you can see a resemblance.

But who knows, maybe there is a patented mechanic [such as biowares dialogue system] which nintendo clearly described is clearly there in palworld. Doubt it if it took this long to rustle up a lawsuit.

Last edited:
indeed i dont disagree with your sentiment @Hotwired it wont be clear cut it will be merky and convoluted with every party angling to get an edge.
im ideolistic and want to see the good instead of the greed and bad of people and companis.

Some countries (including eg the USA) provide for "design patents", roughly equivalent to what are known in the UK and Europe as "registered designs". It may be that Nintendo own design registrations over characters, for example, and are asserting infringement on that basis. Alternatively, they may be asserting infringement of their technical patents - see https://worldwide.espacenet.com/pat...cation/US2022387891A1?q="the pokemon company"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom