Palworld: Pokémon with guns

lame. grenade is good example, throwing knives, axes, potions.

im pretty sure as the patant was registered after palworld release it cant be used. that siad every major player should take note of this
Boulders gate 3 - top down 3rd person potion throwing
battlefield - grenades
planetside 2
cyberpunk
star wars - throwing light sabers!
are just some that come to mind

it seems like they wrote it to try and not directly include first person but it could easily be argued 1st person would be covered also.
i have a strong feeling they're gonna lose.

a simple soulutin would be for Nintendo to purchase Palworld (or should have when they had the oppatunity).
its the game we basically all been waiting for as adults.

Apparently the patent they are suing palworld with was filed this year. Months after pal world released. It’s a frivolous suit but they have the money to drain them.

From a brief look, it's a divisional out of a 2021 application (see the Parent Applications table here: https://patents.google.com/patent/JP7545191B1/en?oq=7545191#patentCitations). Entirely common practice in patent disputes.

I don't know Japanese law, but in the UK (and many other territories) you cannot commence litigation on a patent application - it needs to reach grant. So I'm sceptical that IGN have identified the right patent (unless Japanese law differs).

Edit: Ignore my second point, it granted earlier this month, meaning it's entirely likely that this is the correct patent (and also meaning that the Japanese patent office has progressed it incredibly quickly, given that it was filed in July)!

Last edited:
From a brief look, it's a divisional out of a 2021 application (see the Parent Applications table here: https://patents.google.com/patent/JP7545191B1/en?oq=7545191#patentCitations). Entirely common practice in patent disputes.

I don't know Japanese law, but in the UK (and many other territories) you cannot commence litigation on a patent application - it needs to reach grant. So I'm sceptical that IGN have identified the right patent (unless Japanese law differs).

Edit: Ignore my second point, it granted earlier this month, meaning it's entirely likely that this is the correct patent (and also meaning that the Japanese patent office has progressed it incredibly quickly, given that it was filed in July)!
no sure it'll fly though as palworld can show they repleased a product at x date in to public domain before patent was approved, plus its to browd and has to much of a wide effect based on how i read it.

no sure it'll fly though as palworld can show they repleased a product at x date in to public domain before patent was approved, plus its to browd and has to much of a wide effect based on how i read it.
As a divisional, the patent takes priority from 2021. And with respect, I'm not sure how much weight I place on your interpretation of a patent.

As a divisional, the patent takes priority from 2021. And with respect, I'm not sure how much weight I place on your interpretation of a patent.

Yeah but some guy on YouTube who probably has absolutely no qualifications at all in the field made a video saying Nintendo have f'd up so it must be true

Edit - I also think it's probably related to the patent IGN mentioned, which as per your link was originally filed amongst a much bigger patent, that I would assume was in preparation for releasing Arceus where you can catch Pokemon 'in the wild' by aiming Pokeball throws at them, not just from within battle.

Last edited:
lol say it as it is :) im no expert at all.
and i admit i have a very small exposure to patents.
i take no offence

A configuration example of a game program of the present invention causes a computer of an information processing device to switch between at least a first mode and a second mode based on a first operation input, and in the first mode, a second mode is switched. The aiming direction in the virtual space is determined based on the third operation input, and the item that affects the field character placed on the field in the virtual space is directed toward the aiming direction based on the third operation input. When the player character releases the item and the item is released at the location where the field character is placed, the effect associated with the item is given to the field character, and in the second mode, the item is released. Based on the operation input, the aiming direction is determined, and based on the third operation input, the player character releases the combat character that will perform the battle in the aiming direction, and the field character is placed at the location where the field character is placed. When a character is released, a battle on the field is started between the field character and the battle character.

im am currious based on the above people dont think this will effect more than Palworld?

any one initiated combat by throwing something?
i just find it really odd they can claim this patent and back date it.
effecting future releases ok but titles already released?

in boulders gate 3 you can throw potions to group heal as example.
im probably being to narrow minded

You need to remember it's being (I guess automatically) translated from Japanese, it may read somewhat more specifically to the mechanisms present in a Pokemon game in the original language.

i just find it really odd they can claim this patent and back date it.
effecting future releases ok but titles already released?

It was filed in December 2021.

Palworld was revealed slightly before that but not actually released until well after.

(Assuming this is the patent in question) then you would expect their argument will hinge on whether they can show they had already developed the game mechanic that early or not.

Last edited:
You need to remember it's being (I guess automatically) translated from Japanese, it may read somewhat more specifically to the mechanisms present in a Pokemon game in the original language.

It was filed in December 2021.

Palworld was revealed slightly before that but not actually released until well after.

(Assuming this is the patent in question) then you would expect their argument will hinge on whether they can show they had already developed the game mechanic that early or not.
all valid points i agree.
its weather they can show/demonstrate the sytem was already developed and in use based on beta/concept designs.

reading further on in the patent it describes the captures system in more details so my other point re Boaulders gate is moot and not relavant. i should have read a bit further before posting.

i prefer this to what we have is my initial thoughts
shows capture system 3 months after suspect patent filing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom