• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Pascal Titan-X Launch

Man of Honour
Why would you go with a strategy that hinges on clockspeeds: shrinking Maxwell, mooning clocks to provide the uplift in stead of designing? Yet they claimed this was the most expensive chip they ever made by far. I would love to see a cost breakdown.

I suspect more force of circumstances than the initial strategy.

Permabanned
I have had my GTX 1080 less than 3 weeks but will be buying a Titan immediately and selling my 1080.
I am lucky to have enough cash, so does that make me stupid because I am in a fortunate position to do so?

Stupid, No, You already said it, Your lucky enough to have more disposable cash than most, that's all.

Associate
I have had my GTX 1080 less than 3 weeks but will be buying a Titan immediately and selling my 1080.
I am lucky to have enough cash, so does that make me stupid because I am in a fortunate position to do so?

just out of curiosity, are you getting it for 4k gaming?

as for your question, no, some people really need to learn to mind their own business, that's all

Permabanned
Only stupid if you aren't going to use it to it's full potential. If your playing at for instance 1080p... then yes your stupid. If not then no it's should be a smart buy in terms of performance if you don't have patience to wait a few months for the 1080ti that will inevitably side grade it for half the price.

Also if you are using any GPU workloads it would be nice but if that was exclusive use then a Tesla would be option right?

Someone with a 1080p panel can use vsr/dsr too run games at 1440p or 4k. So it doesn't really matter if you only have a 1080p panel nowadays, It still isn't necessarily overkill. Add 120/144 hz to the mix and games will still find ways to bring performance under the best the panel can manage.

Man of Honour
Do you think we will see a gen 2 Pascal? With bits of Volta added in cleaning the pipe as much as possible + maximizing profits.

Looks like most of the focus with Volta is bringing it upto speed for Summit, etc. doubt they will do a GeForce card or bring features to Pascal before that. I do wonder if we will see GDDR5X through the like of Pascal and then a jump to new memory tech with consumer Volta with HBM2 on Pascal only used for the professional cards/kept in the wings incase AMD pull something out the hat.

Associate
Oh thanks, just had a look. Prices are shocking, and now HB SLI bridges :(

Just had a look on the Nvidia website and i wouldn't say they were shocking??

Standard rrp at £619 for the founders edition 1080 in stock with free shipping

I checked here and another big web seller and the cheapest F.E in stock is £629.99 + delivery

So its actually the cheapest surprisingly, unless you mean £619 for a 1080 in general is pretty shocking which is a different story altogether lol :p

Soldato
Someone with a 1080p panel can use vsr/dsr too run games at 1440p or 4k. So it doesn't really matter if you only have a 1080p panel nowadays, It still isn't necessarily overkill. Add 120/144 hz to the mix and games will still find ways to bring performance under the best the panel can manage.

I think DSR isn't really as good as it's said to be in my opinion i simply can't see a massive difference over the monitors stock resolution. IE a 1080p DSRed to 1440p looks no where near as good as a 1440p screen.

not sure what VSR is but in regards to a 144hz yes i agree there but i think any game where 144hz would be really useful ie competitive shooters/racers they very rarely need much gpu horse power to run such as CSGO needs nothing at all. I think for a good experience 2560x1440, 3440x1440, 3840x2160, 4096×2160 with gsync and like 75+ hz would be much better use of the card.

Soldato
So its actually the cheapest surprisingly, unless you mean £619 for a 1080 in general is pretty shocking which is a different story altogether lol :p

That part yes. I still can't believe I paid less for EVGA Superclocked 980Ti's on their launch day than a reference or some AIB 1080's cost now. I shudder to think how much the new 1080Ti will set you back now that the Titan has received a $200 base price raise as well.

Man of Honour
I think DSR isn't really as good as it's said to be in my opinion i simply can't see a massive difference over the monitors stock resolution. IE a 1080p DSRed to 1440p looks no where near as good as a 1440p screen.

not sure what VSR is but in regards to a 144hz yes i agree there but i think any game where 144hz would be really useful ie competitive shooters/racers they very rarely need much gpu horse power to run such as CSGO needs nothing at all. I think for a good experience 2560x1440, 3440x1440, 3840x2160, 4096×2160 with gsync and like 75+ hz would be much better use of the card.

VSR is AMD's equivalent to DSR but it works a bit differently.

DSR works better in some cases than others - 4K to 1080p or 1440p compared side by side with 28" monitors for instance does a fairly reasonable job of faking up the extra amount of detail - but compare on say 40" displays and it is less convincing similarly the difference between the results from 1440p to 1080p aren't as great though that can be a handy way to get some anti-aliasing in games that don't support it well and in some cases can have less of a performance hit than AA systems that offer similar quality.

Despite DSR and VSR doing similar things and often banded about as being the same they actually focus on slightly different aspects - VSR mostly concerns itself with using the extra detail from higher resolution to enhance the edges of stuff while DSR does some of that its main focus is to try and preserve as much of the detail of higher resolution in downsizing as possible using algorithms to try and reproduce the look of the higher resolution original i.e. biasing towards keeping more of what stands out while sacrificing details less likely to be noticed.

Last edited:
Associate
yeah it does sound like they were 2,3 years behind in 2013.

Would be good to know where he thinks he is today. In a way it makes sense that only now they start to match older tech from Nvidia. Remains to be seen what AMD manages to do with Vega, going forward.

Associate
He was setting the context of the last 9 months when they set up RTG. - 10 min mark. They are clearly behind with a lot of work needed to be done to catch up. As I said previously, he can't get the newest advancements quick enough, I really hope AMD (RTG) does succeed in catching up (at the high end) as we need competition in the market.

Last edited:
Suspended
He was setting the context of the last 9 months when they set up RTG. - 10 min mark. They are clearly behind with a lot of work needed to be done to catch up. As I said previously, he can't get the newest advancements quick enough, I really hope AMD (RTG) does succeed in catching up (at the high end) as we need competition in the market.

While its very unpopular to say so IMO Polaris has already made huge inroads into improving AMD past efficiency.

They have taken what was around 280 Watts performance and turned it into 160 Watts performance, Nvidia have also improved on Maxwell but no where near the amount of improvements AMD have managed to pull off, while Nvidia still lead, a 40-50 Watt difference between the RX 480 and GTX 1060 is not as bigger deal as many like to make out, and thats in DX11, in Vulkan where the RX 480 true performance is i would say its actually a draw in power to performance.

Vega should improve AMD efficiency more.

Soldato
Stupid, No, You already said it, Your lucky enough to have more disposable cash than most, that's all.

he is hoping for an easyrider shuffle (tm ocuk forum). as are other 1080 owners who drunk the koolaid.

meanwhile gregster is on his crane thinking about how to bin a Titan x with ocuk without falling foul of their returns policy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom