• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Pascal Titan-X Launch

Associate
While its very unpopular to say so IMO Polaris has already made huge inroads into improving AMD past efficiency.

They have taken what was around 280 Watts performance and turned it into 160 Watts performance, Nvidia have also improved on Maxwell but no where near the amount of improvements AMD have managed to pull off, while Nvidia still lead, a 40-50 Watt difference between the RX 480 and GTX 1060 is not as bigger deal as many like to make out, and thats in DX11, in Vulkan where the RX 480 true performance is i would say its actually a draw in power to performance.

Vega should improve AMD efficiency more.

It's mainly due to 14nm process gain vs 28nm, where as NVIDIA managed to get big power reductions on 28nm already, which is why Pascal kicks bottom of Polaris.

Associate
Why are people so desperate for HBM2? Is it really going to magically tranform the performance of these cards? What evidence is there that HBM is currently making a substantial difference, if any?

HBM2 is lower power usage, so more cores can be enabled, plus it's important that HBM makers getting the money to facilitate development of future memory rather than keep milking same GDDR5 stuff.

Permabanned
I think DSR isn't really as good as it's said to be in my opinion i simply can't see a massive difference over the monitors stock resolution. IE a 1080p DSRed to 1440p looks no where near as good as a 1440p screen.

It's best not to look at it as a resolution upgrade, Instead look at it as an additional graphics setting, It does make a small difference so there is a reason to use it just like there is a reason to use one type of Anti Aliasing over another.

Caporegime
The odd thing about this is the vram. I really thought they would go with 16gb and give the 1080Ti (when it comes out) 12gb, so as to differentiate them, as per previous generations.

What is the 1080ti going to get, 10gb? :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
The odd thing about this the vram. I really thought they would go with 16gb and give the 1080Ti (when it comes out) 12gb, so as to differentiate them, as per previous generations.

What is the 1080ti going to get, 10gb? :confused:

yeah that bit confuses me as well. I still think there will be a 1080 TI in a few months, maybe even in time for Christmas. I am even going to propose 12 GB of memory. Maybe it will even be this much acclaimed HMB 2 memory!

Where does that leave the current Titan X? No idea ....

Associate
Can't wait for the first posts along the line of:

I've just purchased a Titan Pascal card; it cost me £1200. It seems to have terrible coil-whine. Do they all do this? Can I send it back? There don't seem to be any replacements in stock... OKUK Support say it's not a fault, so won't accept a return..

Etc., etc.

Associate
1080Ti will only release if AMD release a competitive card. I can't see AMD doing that for a while yet. :rolleyes:

The previous Ti's were only released to counteract the AMD cards.

Associate
1080Ti will only release if AMD release a competitive card. I can't see AMD doing that for a while yet. :rolleyes:

The previous Ti's were only released to counteract the AMD cards.

Pretty much this, the 980ti only came out at the time/price it did because the fury-x came out.

Don't expect to see a 1080ti with considerably better price/performance ratio untill big vega turns up.

Associate
It's incredible how many people get so visibly upset at the idea that people buy high end Nvidia cards.

As the gulf between AMD and Nvidia becomes ever wider, they seem to be getting angrier and angrier.

Associate
It's incredible how many people get so visibly upset at the idea that people buy high end Nvidia cards.

As the gulf between AMD and Nvidia becomes ever wider, they seem to be getting angrier and angrier.

yes, I've noticed that as well, it feels like desperation and envy ( in an angry manner ) against anyone who dares contemplate the idea of buying a high end product they don't approve of.

How else can one justify the name calling and insults, once they are called out and proven that they have no technical argument at all.

Associate
Unfortunately I think AMD is going to give up on the high end GPU market and focus on low to mid range at decent prices.

I could foresee high-end $2000 GPU's from NVIDIA within a couple of years.

well the card which bears your name ( or we can think of it the other way around! ) is supposed to be top end. So, they haven't given up just yet.

Back
Top Bottom