Path of Exile(diablo clone)

Associate
Buggered off to Spain on Day 2 of the league as I hit a mental wall. Hit T6 around 6am on launch even with the...well tested, ArchNem mods then booked a flight and disappeared. Came back Saturday and sat yesterday clearing up to T16s(friends chucked me all the maps I needed thankfully) and SE/EoW, gonna call it there. Sentinel isn't hitting right for me and the general balance of the game has changed for the worse in my eyes. Take a few months off to play other stuff and maintain the guild, come back when they add Ultimatum.......next league guys, next league.

Soldato
Having a cracking season. Loving my Bane char. Actually making decent currency for the first time in my poe career (disclaimer its probably rubbish still compared lol), 2 raw ex's this eve and a few big sales.

Made a DD too, to see what all the fuss is about and I don't like it? Have most of the mid/high end gear and it's not tanky at all. Granted only lvl 75 though :(

I actually love the sentinels, you get some awesome loot explosions with them if you follow Grimro's strategies

Associate
I'm currently playing Path of Exile and I'm struggling. So I decide to follow a build... and I'm still struggling. I'm not much of a "social" player due to circumstances, and usually play SSF (solo self-found).

Then I watch some Zizaran videos and he gets to Act IV in under 30 minutes. LOL :D I'm completely demotivated.

The more I look at various videos... oh look, it's PoE UNIVERSITY --- wot?! The amount of time investment you have to put in, it's on par with some online courses, to be able to reach and play the endgame... it's too much for me. Frustrating, as I really would like to... I just can't spend more than 30-minute gaming sessions before I have to do something (as a carer).

Anyway, it's nice to see that there are people here who play PoE too. I'd rename the thread though, as it's not a Diablo "clone". Not anymore at least.

Soldato
yeah I think it's easy to get caught up in the mindset you need to play perfectly and efficiently all the time, have to beat the end game bosses
Honestly just set your own goals and play a fun looking build, just beat the campaign and try early maps, next league push a little more in to yellows maybe reds
Tbh I've never beaten the end game bosses because I get bored with the gear farming required for most builds, but still play every league and do some of the events like the current gauntlet

Permabanned
I just play a few hours here and there, have beaten most of the bosses this league, its not a race. :) But yeah once you get to a certain point there is either a)a lot of farming to do or b)a lot of being lucky.

Reaching "end game" also requires bugger all investment and can be played in 30 minute chunks easy.

Associate
Anyone here from ryzen 3000 series upgraded to 5800x3d at 4k res ? Did the upgrade help with min FPS in game?

Not exactly the same, but one of my friends upgraded from a 2600 to a 5600 a little while back and described it as being quite a substantial jump in terms of average and minimums. He's at 1440P though I think so not as much strain on GPU.

I've spotted this on reddit with a quick search:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/vm7j2o/simple_path_of_exile_benchmark_comparison_3700x/
For anyone interested, I thought it'd be cool to see the difference before and after the upgrade.

PC Specs:

RTX3080 and 32GB (3600MHz/CL16) RAM

3840x1600 resolution

3700X + Stock cooler5800X3D + Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B cooler% Improvement
Avg. FPS93.9103.2+9.9%
Min. FPS25.744.6+73.5%
Max FPS144.9144.7---
1% Low FPS36.950.6+37.1%
0.1% Low FPS18.139.8+119.9%

For those who play the game and understand the jargon, here are the details on the maps I ran with my RF Inquisitor:

• T16 Beach w/ 30+% pack size
  • 40% Delirious
  • Single Beyond
  • Eater of Worlds influence
  • Infused Domination Kirac mod
  • Breach/Strongboxes/Harbinger scarabs

Overall, they weren't the craziest maps, but I still noticed a significant improvement regarding stuttering and freezing, especially when jumping into large packs and during juicy breaches. I'm pretty happy with the upgrade and am probably going to stick with the AM4 socket until DDR5 is more matured and accessible.

Associate
Really hope that was the first and last time they decide not to make balance changes between leagues. It felt so stale. Also their one change nuking the drop rate of omni/ashes actually meant there were even less builds to try out. Generally down for the grind but 28 maps for a 2% shot at them was too much for me.

Playing SSF the Eater/Exarch rewards are actually pretty terrible, forbidden flesh/flame may as well not exist as there is no way in hell you will get two matching in a league, it bugs me a bit as it's super build enabling. SSF tho so not allowed to make comments about balance:p

Recombinators were amazing have to give them credit there, saved the league for me.

The uber bosses feel like cheap lazy design, especially just clicking a passive point to enable them. I get the impression GGG are dialing back resource allocation on leagues & instead funnelling it into POE 2 development.

They also super stealth nerfed the Exarch/Eater crafting currency rewards this league, nobody complained because of recombinators but they're gone next league, hopefully they give us something interesting to work with.

Soldato
I'd love it if they ran a 2nd SSF league with better loot drop odds. Game is just balanced around trade and trade is awful in this game

Soldato
:p basically the league dies each time for me when I realise how many hours I'd need to grind for that fancy new item. They design these games to only allow the top 1-5% to own and play with the best stuff which is so anti casual

Been playing some other games recently which have much more respectful drop rates for build enabling items, so refreshing

Associate
Not exactly the same, but one of my friends upgraded from a 2600 to a 5600 a little while back and described it as being quite a substantial jump in terms of average and minimums. He's at 1440P though I think so not as much strain on GPU.

I've spotted this on reddit with a quick search:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/vm7j2o/simple_path_of_exile_benchmark_comparison_3700x/

The increase is substantial for anyone that plays poe.
as the game calculates so much the cpu is pushed which many will weaker system knows.
At some point I am likely to upgrade from my 5600x to a 5800x3D as it will elevate games as poe a bit.
The other option is to wait for zen4 and the 3D version cache but that comes with a higher cost also.

Associate
The increase is substantial for anyone that plays poe.
as the game calculates so much the cpu is pushed which many will weaker system knows.
At some point I am likely to upgrade from my 5600x to a 5800x3D as it will elevate games as poe a bit.
The other option is to wait for zen4 and the 3D version cache but that comes with a higher cost also.

My 5930k has held it's own admirably over the years but looking at the benches of the latest stuff it's clear I would see a massive boost at this point too (I think 5930k was on par with the 2600x or thereabout), I'm very much looking forward to upgrading as well, likely into a full new zen 4 system next year. It could be a night and day difference by then for games like this which is pretty exciting to think about.

Soldato
yeah managed to upgrade to a 5800x 3d and it plays POE really smooth. I play with a locked 100fps and it never dips now, well only on server or network latency

Associate
:p basically the league dies each time for me when I realise how many hours I'd need to grind for that fancy new item.

This is the main point for any game for me. My circumstances put me in a situation where I ideally need a pause button for the game I'm playing, on top of the limited time each day that I can game (2 hours max).

Because of that PoE is a major struggle. I still like it though.

Back
Top Bottom