PC Gaming is ALIVEEEE

Associate
I was under the impression 8k was completely pointless as it's beyond the abilities of the human eye, especially at monitor distance?

8K is when its optimal for the eye, after 8K the difference isn't worth it if we talk gaming that is.
while 4K will be the go to screen resolution for pc gaming for a while as we are now getting 120hz screens and cards catching up to do single 4k 120hz gaming, yea I like that.

I just wonder what 8K would need in card powers.
gonna enjoy path of exile tonight in 4k tho.
sadly just 60hz

Soldato
OP
We’re very spoilt these days in my opinion, and some of the comments reflect this.

I have a library full of triple A titles and excellent indies I’ve yet to play, they could probably last me years without spending any money. Modern hardware is expensive but the second hand market is full of excellent hardware, and my ageing rig still plays great at 1200p. When I upgrade to UW/4K FALD, HDR with G-sync I cant imagine how awesome it’ll be.

We have a wealth of choices, excellent games, superb deals on digital download, awesome ways to communicate with teammates and access to a back catalogue of two decades of incredible gaming experiences, all to be accessed right from our desks. There’s some incredible peripherals, great audio and super comfy chairs, and even things like PC cases are so beautiful, easy to work in and cleverly designed now. There’s plenty of expensive hobbies out there, and actually I think PC gaming is cheap compared to some; with the ability to tinker, upgrade and enjoy is so many ways. Sure the new RTX cards are bonkers, stupidly priced and overhyped; don’t buy them. Get a 1080ti if you need an upgrade, it’s a great card that will soon be pretty cheap.

I think PC gaming has been in a golden age for a long time now. I can play at the desk, with a controller, or in front of the big screen, or with sync tech, or with Dolby surround. Not to mention I can work on it and all the other things a PC can do.

We’re moaning about what? Loot boxes? Don’t buy the game. Some of the best experiences I’ve ever had have been on indie titles, and the fact that there’s so many might make some crap, but so what? For every bad one there’s an absolute gem you can pick up for half the cost of a packet of cigarettes and enjoy for much longer.

I’d be interested to know the ages of people who’re posting negative / positive things. I don’t think I’m old by any means, but the first games I played were on 5 1/2” floppy and I couldn’t have imagined then how lucky we would be by 2018.

So yes mate, I agree, long may it continue.

Agree with everything here

Associate
I hate nostalgia, it's a trolling wee ***** that makes the past out to be better than it actually was.

I remember paying £80 for my Jap import of Street Fighter 2, systems were region locked, UK systems were gimped to 50Hz which mean't you had to import to get the proper experience and you had zero alternative to retail, games were mostly SD too. On my Spectrum i waited up to 20+ mins for a game to load.

Looking back, i wouldn't want to go back to any of the above. I've tried going back to a lot of games of the past and most were crap by today's standards.

We have it great now.

Last edited:
Associate
I have not gamed for 8 months, With the talk of the new cards and some new games coming out I feel I nice nerdy feeling coming back too, maybe it's a winter thing but yeah I am pretty pump for the pc again.

Happy days

Soldato
I think it's the worst it's been. Hardware is stupidly expensive and games don't feel like they're pushing the boundaries at all. Lots of games at great prices but it's been that way for years.

Soldato
It's very alive and always has been alive and I've been PC gaming since 1992.
Gamers just need to look beyond the boundries of popular franchises, AAA trash and venture in genres they may not always look for.

It always amazes me that because the big games are lanced with micro transactions, DLC and loot crates that there is a perception that gaming in general is rubbish and never been worse when that is actually total tosh.
It's like saying that because there aren't any summer blockbusters at the cinema there aren't any films to watch.

Soldato
Its always alive but Xbox 1X is a very strong competitor for the next few years. Cost around £415 plays almost any recent game @ 4K with HDR as standard (PC HDR standards are an absolute mess due to Intels Playready 3.0 DRM requirement for an Intel GPU always present & no AMD CPU support). Equivalent PC will set you back £1.5-2K. For many gamers with households & families to support an X1X is where its at. High end PC gaming is going the wrong direction right now. AMD are not competing on GPUs so Nvidia are trying to push the RTX but have no games completed which even showcase it. At launch the devs for Shadow Of The Tomb Raider have already admitted the game is a work in progress & will only contain some RTX tech the game will eventually get patched for RTX throughout but the launch is not going to have more than a few areas ray traced.

Near future X1X is the go to for many publishers due to zero piracy & mainstream appeal. PC is always ahead technically but the gap is narrowing due to the vast price differential!

Caporegime
8K is when its optimal for the eye, after 8K the difference isn't worth it if we talk gaming that is.
while 4K will be the go to screen resolution for pc gaming for a while as we are now getting 120hz screens and cards catching up to do single 4k 120hz gaming, yea I like that.

I just wonder what 8K would need in card powers.
gonna enjoy path of exile tonight in 4k tho.
sadly just 60hz

Considering it's generally accepted that the eye sees about 25MP, then 8K is overkill and will always be a horrendous waste of internet space. (almost 33% more than is required...)

The only benefit's beyond 25MP is extra ability to zoom in on detail that you otherwise won't notice, also i suppose 16K cameras would allow certain producers more leeway, but who the hell has the space for hours of 16K footage? Holy ****.

What we really need is for the GPU power to be used for draw distance and heavier scenes, not worthlessly up-ing the resolution for little reason.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
We’re very spoilt these days in my opinion, and some of the comments reflect this.

I have a library full of triple A titles and excellent indies I’ve yet to play, they could probably last me years without spending any money. Modern hardware is expensive but the second hand market is full of excellent hardware, and my ageing rig still plays great at 1200p. When I upgrade to UW/4K FALD, HDR with G-sync I cant imagine how awesome it’ll be.

We have a wealth of choices, excellent games, superb deals on digital download, awesome ways to communicate with teammates and access to a back catalogue of two decades of incredible gaming experiences, all to be accessed right from our desks. There’s some incredible peripherals, great audio and super comfy chairs, and even things like PC cases are so beautiful, easy to work in and cleverly designed now. There’s plenty of expensive hobbies out there, and actually I think PC gaming is cheap compared to some; with the ability to tinker, upgrade and enjoy is so many ways. Sure the new RTX cards are bonkers, stupidly priced and overhyped; don’t buy them. Get a 1080ti if you need an upgrade, it’s a great card that will soon be pretty cheap.

I think PC gaming has been in a golden age for a long time now. I can play at the desk, with a controller, or in front of the big screen, or with sync tech, or with Dolby surround. Not to mention I can work on it and all the other things a PC can do.

We’re moaning about what? Loot boxes? Don’t buy the game. Some of the best experiences I’ve ever had have been on indie titles, and the fact that there’s so many might make some crap, but so what? For every bad one there’s an absolute gem you can pick up for half the cost of a packet of cigarettes and enjoy for much longer.

I’d be interested to know the ages of people who’re posting negative / positive things. I don’t think I’m old by any means, but the first games I played were on 5 1/2” floppy and I couldn’t have imagined then how lucky we would be by 2018.

So yes mate, I agree, long may it continue.

Well said mate. I have been PC gaming since 1999 and I think it is more alive now than ever. So much choice, not enough time if you ask me.

Even though I wanted a 2080Ti, the pricing has managed to put me off. Going to skip this gen and grab a 1080Ti until 7nm hits.

Back
Top Bottom