PC Gaming is ALIVEEEE

Soldato
According to some of the comments on a PC Gamer article I was reading the next generation of consoles are going to bury the PC as they will do 4k60fps... There are these same comments every time a new console comes out, so I'm not worried in the slightest. I remember reading that the PCs days were numbered when the PS2 came out, yet here we still are.

Caporegime
According to some of the comments on a PC Gamer article I was reading the next generation of consoles are going to bury the PC as they will do 4k60fps... There are these same comments every time a new console comes out, so I'm not worried in the slightest. I remember reading that the PCs days were numbered when the PS2 came out, yet here we still are.

4k60fps, at ultra low settings galore.

Soldato

By that time we’ll all be on high refresh sync monitors at 4K for a sensible price, glorying in the visual quality.

This is about PC glory (or not) though, it’s not about consoles. For once it would be awesome to have a conversation about PC gaming without a bunch of people who can’t afford/justify the price so buy a console instead and passively aggressively suggest we’re all idiots for enjoying our hobby.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I doubt it will be ultra low or anything like that. I get the feeling what will happen is most games still will target 30 fps and crank up the graphics which the pc will play at 60fps or more. The games that target 60fps they will do at medium or high setting and the pc will get ultra which means better draw distances or more npcs on screen etc, but graphics won't be much different unless nvidia tacks on some game works or rtx stuff.

By that time we’ll all be on high refresh sync monitors at 4K for a sensible price, glorying in the visual quality.

This is about PC glory (or not) though, it’s not about consoles. For once it would be awesome to have a conversation about PC gaming without a bunch of people who can’t afford/justify the price so buy a console instead and passively aggressively suggest we’re all idiots for enjoying our hobby.

I highly doubt people will be on 4K high refresh rate monitors in 2020. Judging by most the comments I have seen here people apparently cannot see the difference between 1440p and 2160p so I doubt they will be in a rush to upgrade.

Caporegime

To be fair a good 4K tv is incredibly expensive, on par with a PC in general, and considering most people do the same thing with Monitors that they do with TV screens nowadays... not sure theres much distance between them.

Soldato
Gaming in general just feels in a rut. I spend my evenings playing fortnite begging for something more exciting to come around the corner.

Bf5 looks ok I guess and obviously cyberpunk but something needs a shake up by at the moment it's just sequel after sequel with the exact same mechanics as the last 20 games.

Also **** the miners...they have put pc gaming back so much by pricing hardware out of the range most are willing to pay.

Soldato
Gaming in general just feels in a rut. I spend my evenings playing fortnite begging for something more exciting to come around the corner.

Bf5 looks ok I guess and obviously cyberpunk but something needs a shake up by at the moment it's just sequel after sequel with the exact same mechanics as the last 20 games.

Also **** the miners...they have put pc gaming back so much by pricing hardware out of the range most are willing to pay.

Sounds like it’s you who’s in a rut mate. I went through something similar a while back. I took a rest from gaming and looked out for something that excited me, got me right back into it.

I don’t know your tastes or approach, but you seem to focusing on the massive new titles. What about golden oldies, yesteryears triple As or a decent little indie? Things like TimeShift, FEAR, FTL, Dying Light and Hollow Knight all spring to mind.

What genres are you into?

Soldato
This is an interesting insight into the performance difference of around ten years ago; fella bought an ageing mid range pc off the bay. It’s not really graphics progression, but it’s interesting what performance a £1,000 pc from that time would offer, resolution, IQ and FPS wise.

Skip to 6:40 to avoid the intro, though I personally found it interesting enough.

Soldato
OP
This is an interesting insight into the performance difference of around ten years ago; fella bought an ageing mid range pc off the bay. It’s not really graphics progression, but it’s interesting what performance a £1,000 pc from that time would offer, resolution, IQ and FPS wise.

Skip to 6:40 to avoid the intro, though I personally found it interesting enough.

Now that's a blast from the past my Q series Intel lasted years and years

Soldato
Now that's a blast from the past my Q series Intel lasted years and years

Right? Great little chips. He bought the whole thing for a few quiz too, it amazes me the speed we progress at, and how quickly components used to be obsolete. My 4790k is still a pretty big hitting chip (I always go for upper end chips for longevity). The only thing I’d like is some USB-C, but even that’s future proofing for external SSDs I want to add in the future.

I found it interesting that the ram was so limiting. Just goes to show that capacity requirement has expanded very rapidly. I had to upgrade my 8gb because it just wasn’t enough even for 1200p, some of my games are using over 11gb. Though I’m sure you could blame lack of optimisation for some of that.

Man of Honour
Every few years I come back to PC gaming. I'm in one of those phases right now, having got back into Quake Champions. In fact I've just upgraded my GPU for the first time in years to get a decent frame rate again. But I don't know how long it will last because I usually get bored again quickly. The major issue I have is that I just don't know where to start with new games. I have been out of gaming so long that I have no idea what type of game I would be interested in and what is one of the better games.

Soldato
OP
Right? Great little chips. He bought the whole thing for a few quiz too, it amazes me the speed we progress at, and how quickly components used to be obsolete. My 4790k is still a pretty big hitting chip (I always go for upper end chips for longevity). The only thing I’d like is some USB-C, but even that’s future proofing for external SSDs I want to add in the future.

I found it interesting that the ram was so limiting. Just goes to show that capacity requirement has expanded very rapidly. I had to upgrade my 8gb because it just wasn’t enough even for 1200p, some of my games are using over 11gb. Though I’m sure you could blame lack of optimisation for some of that.

Watching that back it reminded me of buying those components like it was yesterday and he picked it all up for a few quid, amazing.

Around 2005/2006 was golden years for me as well

Soldato
Every few years I come back to PC gaming. I'm in one of those phases right now, having got back into Quake Champions. In fact I've just upgraded my GPU for the first time in years to get a decent frame rate again. But I don't know how long it will last because I usually get bored again quickly. The major issue I have is that I just don't know where to start with new games. I have been out of gaming so long that I have no idea what type of game I would be interested in and what is one of the better games.

I’d be happy to make suggestions. Two questions :

- Single player or multiplayer?
- What’s your favourite three games of all time / recent memory?

Soldato
Watching that back it reminded me of buying those components like it was yesterday and he picked it all up for a few quid, amazing.

Around 2005/2006 was golden years for me as well

Ah brilliant mate, I love those nostalgia moments. I remember my biggest build when I was a kid, about £1,300. Would be total **** by that standard but I still have the beautiful LianLi case it came in, couldn’t bear to part with it.

Man of Honour
I’d be happy to make suggestions. Two questions :

- Single player or multiplayer?
- What’s your favourite three games of all time / recent memory?
Thank you. I like both single player strategy games and multiplayer FPS. My favourite all time game is Quake (which is why I am back playing Quake Champions). My next favourite games were Doom, Total Annihilation / Starcraft / C&C Red Alert, Populous, Elite. I have Elite Dangerous but am yet to play it. So a few suggestions for modern equivalents to TA / StarCraft / C&C and also some single player games such as Doom would be appreciated.

Soldato
I think 2004/2005 was when I built my first PC. I couldn't believe how good HL2 and Far Cry looked, yet to look back now they look awful. It's amazing how far graphics have come since then.

I think i'll always look back on my first PC as the best, just because of how good it felt to research for months, buy all the parts and then build a PC for the first time. Then to turn it on and fire up HL2 and it all being made worthwhile when I saw how amazing it looked.

Soldato
OP
I think 2004/2005 was when I built my first PC. I couldn't believe how good HL2 and Far Cry looked, yet to look back now they look awful. It's amazing how far graphics have come since then.

I think i'll always look back on my first PC as the best, just because of how good it felt to research for months, buy all the parts and then build a PC for the first time. Then to turn it on and fire up HL2 and it all being made worthwhile when I saw how amazing it looked.

We are of that same era.

Soldato

Awesome, we’ve got similar tastes, great start. I’ll have a nose through some of the games I’ve really enjoyed and make some suggestions tomorrow. I’m no guru but maybe something might spark your interest. Totally sucks when you can’t get into games. I went through a period of starting a game up, playing thirty minutes, then just shutting it down and uninstalling it. Did it over and over again.

Like you I need something that grips me, and gives me that excited feeling. Are you open to older titles? Gems like FEAR are old these days, but still bloody brilliant if you don’t mind the graphics from that era (I’ve said before, modern titles have less soul, like you I find a few of them are just reskinned versions of other games!)

Anyways, I’ll see if I can come up with anything and post here.

Back
Top Bottom