Phoenix Point - new strategy game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Soldato
@NeoWave as the game progresses, the battles becoming harder. Have you tried to build a second Manticore and drop both ships on the missions? Apparently that the best way to get 2 teams on the Alien incursions on Heavens!!!
Also have you found any usage for the Heavy Weaponry guys? I feel them they are under gunned. Hell Cannon is only for close combat when used with heavy armour (default setup) due to the sheer inaccuracy. And seems working better with normal armour as it doesn't get the negative accuracy penalty. But at that point, better use shotgun.
The only usage found for my heavy guy is to craft a grenade launcher and start blowing buildings and covers, or force overwatching enemies to use they chameleon skill to push them out of overwatch and cover.
Though he can do the odd triple kill with a skill buffed grenade :D

Soldato
They apparently adapt. If you keep shooting off their invisibility they'll lose it but gain something else. The steamer i watch had a lot of invisibility riflemen. Later in the campaign he's now facing snipers and melee with smoke coverage and health regen.

Associate
Soldato
They apparently adapt. If you keep shooting off their invisibility they'll lose it but gain something else. The steamer i watch had a lot of invisibility riflemen. Later in the campaign he's now facing snipers and melee with smoke coverage and health regen.

No thats different campaign all together, from the very start. Also the reason started a new campaign is because learned the bad way that the levels your troops getting are capped
So if we pick all the skills we cannot pick later on to boost the attributes (Strength/Willpower/Perception). And some skills are useless on main classes, regardless if useful on sub classes.
eg BB/CY/Rally, though the one where you fire the whole clip is fantastic :D

Soldato
Btw on an abandoned site found a New Jericho Technician. Whoa :eek:
First is cool looking with the robotic arms armour. Secondly has a lot of AP. And final a cool way to remove mind grapplers without the need to use the sniper shooting teammates head with the pistol. :D

t8GP8hu.png

Soldato
Didn't realise could buy this yet! Deffo will be, be my first epic purchase

I am on Backers Build 5 atm. Which is still Alpha. Yet the game had it's bugs (eg cannot collect enemy weapons, some enemies can fall off through the roof on one map and need to blast a wall to access them) and has a lot of cut off things due to spoilers etc, but had a blast up to now. Actually writing this message, realised have played the game 30 hours since Thursday!!
To put in perspective XCOM2 have played it 141 hours with all DLCs since release back in 2016.

Look the game isn't AAA like Firaxis XCOM 1/2. Is something between AAA and Indy game and price reflects that. (around $30).
However has more the rag tag feel of XCOM Enemy Unknown and Apocalypse from the 90s.

Soldato
I got excited when I read made by the guy who did the xcom games, but I'm guessing the recent (ish) remakes not the 90's original?

I wasn't a fan of the XCOM remakes, scripted Enemy spawn points and enemies for that matter, standard maps per kevel, imo completely lost the point of the original games. You can just grind to learn to game, and just generally lacked strategy or difficulty.

The whole fun of the original games was the randomness of it, and sometimes brutal difficulty that would throw at you. Example, jump out of your lander form outside your ship for an alien hiding behind a bush right next to your spawn throws an alien grenade and kills 2 thirds of your team off the bat. Harsh, but made it fun imo. You had to live with your consequences and you couldn't grind to learn because every fight would be different, so you really had to learn how to play, strategise etc.

I like Xenonaughts, which imo is a much truer representation of the original game, particularly on iron man modes, it's fun and a challenge.

Does this game have random spawn points, random (pre generated) maps, random AI behaviour, random number and type of hostiles?

If so I'm interested.

Man of Honour
I got excited when I read made by the guy who did the xcom games, but I'm guessing the recent (ish) remakes not the 90's original?

Its Julian Gollop, the original guy behind the original UFO: Enemy Unknown, the original Xcom and before those the awesome Rebel Star Raiders and Laser Squad which started the whole genre.

Soldato

I wasn't a fan of the XCOM remakes, scripted Enemy spawn points and enemies for that matter, standard maps per kevel, imo completely lost the point of the original games. You can just grind to learn to game, and just generally lacked strategy or difficulty.

The whole fun of the original games was the randomness of it, and sometimes brutal difficulty that would throw at you. Example, jump out of your lander form outside your ship for an alien hiding behind a bush right next to your spawn throws an alien grenade and kills 2 thirds of your team off the bat. Harsh, but made it fun imo. You had to live with your consequences and you couldn't grind to learn because every fight would be different, so you really had to learn how to play, strategise etc.

I like Xenonaughts, which imo is a much truer representation of the original game, particularly on iron man modes, it's fun and a challenge.

Does this game have random spawn points, random (pre generated) maps, random AI behaviour, random number and type of hostiles?

If so I'm interested.

As @Tombstone said. The game is made by Julian Gollop who made the original XCOM and XCOM Apocalypse.

Firaxis XCOM 1, was very scripted with a dozen maps. XCOM 2 was better but was more tedious, and the AI was as dumb.

Now Phoenix point IDK what the final version would have in relation to AI, or how difficulty levels would impact it. I have seen big enemies (the quadped ones) running from the field and out of the battle when your team arrives (you have 1-2 turns to kill it before runs) while leaving the minions holding the team back and pushing you hard. I have seen the enemies changing tactics depending the weapons I deploy more often.
If I use shotguns, they start using smoke which cannot see or shoot if I do not go withing 1 tile in the smoke. And thats lethal for your troops. While when sticking to Assault riles as predominant weapons, they bring bone shields that take a lot of hits. Also found they can use effectively snipers, and have two types of mind controllers.

I have seen features found in Mordheim City of the Damned (that's a great XCOM type game set in Warhammer fantasy) with missing limps etc. Hell just lost a battle and 2 out of 6 of my solders and had to run out of the field not losing the rest. Because 2 lucky sniper shots crippled the their left arms on turn 1, and destroyed one of the other troops weapons. So couldn't hold weapons, couldn't exchange weapons between troops either, since I was getting pushed by a mighty charge of a dozen heavily armoured enemies from all sides throwing grenades every turn. (and 2 snipers, plus a mind controller which was coming close).

Also have seen scavenging missions where I was actually starving from manufacturing resources, the enemies focused on destroying them first to deny me the option to get them.

Finally it doesn't have the power creep of Firaxis XCOM games. You cannot make anything better than the weapons you start with. You have to gain standings with the different factions, to gain access to some of their tech. Or even attack them to take it but that weakens them against the main enemy, the Pandorians. Also tweaking solders is more dynamic. You do not have to pick all the abilities, just few and you can raise their main stats (Strength, Willpower, Speed). Or you can pick all abilities but not raise main stats. Your pick. (and all have Class skills, Secondary Class skills, and Personal skills). Check the image above from the NJ Technician, and haven't leveling him yet to open the subclass.

So from the current stage in Alpha (BB5) so not much can say but feels like a mix of XCOM UFO Defence with XCOM Apocalypse and some sprinkling of Freedom Ridge.

Soldato
As @Tombstone said. The game is made by Julian Gollop who made the original XCOM and XCOM Apocalypse.

Firaxis XCOM 1, was very scripted with a dozen maps. XCOM 2 was better but was more tedious, and the AI was as dumb.

Now Phoenix point IDK what the final version would have in relation to AI, or how difficulty levels would impact it. I have seen big enemies (the quadped ones) running from the field and out of the battle when your team arrives (you have 1-2 turns to kill it before runs) while leaving the minions holding the team back and pushing you hard. I have seen the enemies changing tactics depending the weapons I deploy more often.
If I use shotguns, they start using smoke which cannot see or shoot if I do not go withing 1 tile in the smoke. And thats lethal for your troops. While when sticking to Assault riles as predominant weapons, they bring bone shields that take a lot of hits. Also found they can use effectively snipers, and have two types of mind controllers.

I have seen features found in Mordheim City of the Damned (that's a great XCOM type game set in Warhammer fantasy) with missing limps etc. Hell just lost a battle and 2 out of 6 of my solders and had to run out of the field not losing the rest. Because 2 lucky sniper shots crippled the their left arms on turn 1, and destroyed one of the other troops weapons. So couldn't hold weapons, couldn't exchange weapons between troops either, since I was getting pushed by a mighty charge of a dozen heavily armoured enemies from all sides throwing grenades every turn. (and 2 snipers, plus a mind controller which was coming close).

Also have seen scavenging missions where I was actually starving from manufacturing resources, the enemies focused on destroying them first to deny me the option to get them.

Finally it doesn't have the power creep of Firaxis XCOM games. You cannot make anything better than the weapons you start with. You have to gain standings with the different factions, to gain access to some of their tech. Or even attack them to take it but that weakens them against the main enemy, the Pandorians. Also tweaking solders is more dynamic. You do not have to pick all the abilities, just few and you can raise their main stats (Strength, Willpower, Speed). Or you can pick all abilities but not raise main stats. Your pick. (and all have Class skills, Secondary Class skills, and Personal skills). Check the image above from the NJ Technician, and haven't leveling him yet to open the subclass.

So from the current stage in Alpha (BB5) so not much can say but feels like a mix of XCOM UFO Defence with XCOM Apocalypse and some sprinkling of Freedom Ridge.

Ok thanks, sounds pretty decent actually I'll keep an eye out

Back
Top Bottom