Phrases you can't stand...

Man of Honour
So now I'm imagining a 3000 mile taxi ride on the meter. Might be a little pricey :)

After that thought popped into my head, I had to take a closer look at it with standard London taxi fare tariffs. There's a variety of charges for up to 6 miles, but for a 3000 mile journey that won't have much effect on the price. So...a 3000 mile taxi ride on the meter at standard London rates would cost a bit over £11,000. But that's assuming the cabbie does you the favour of turning the meter off whenever you stop.

Turn the meter off whenever you stop! Oh you are a card, and no mistake!
There’s more chance of Diane Abbott winning a Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences.
I can only speak for myself, but when I was piloting my black money box around London I wouldn’t have considered a 3000 mile job, even for £40k or £50k, 3000 miles is farther than London to Damascus, Syria.
The longest jobs that I ever took, were one from Heathrow to Lincoln, stay overnight in a 4* hotel, paid by the customer, then back to Soho, £800 in the late nineties, followed a couple of weeks later by Windsor to Dublin, Eire, then back to Soho via Northampton for the same eccentric woman, £1000, hotel and ferry paid by her too.
A few months later, she called me and offered me £1800 to drive her to Minden, Germany and back, I demurred, and pushed for £3000, she said that she’d think about it, but didn’t call back.

Associate
When our service receptionists are booking in a customer they'll invariably ask "what was the name?". Like the customer used to have a name but they don't any more.
Surely it should be "what is your name?"

Man of Honour
Exactly this.
"Can I get a coffee"
"No, you're a customer, but you can ask for a coffee, and I can get one for you"

Oh dear, it’s rather fortunate that you weren’t sitting near my wife and I a while back in Le Pont de la Tour, Butlers Wharf at Shad Thames.
She said to the waitress, “I’ll take the sautéed salmon please, and can I get a Kir Royale while we check the wine list?”

Soldato
My mum's started saying (for example) "can you ping that to me" when she means email. I never understood "ping" anyway. Unless it's the sound it makes I guess?

I'm guilty of the following:

"You diamond"
"Sick"
"Init"

*hides*

Back
Top Bottom