Pic of my Eyefinity set up

Associate
I really dont/can't see the point in more than 2 screens. To clearly view it all then you have to tilt your head quite a bit. So you cannot clearly see all 3 screens well at once.

as has been mentioned it gives you a more natural field of view. when you stare at a decent sized center monitor after a short while the bezzel becomes a non issue.. after all the image now with bezzel management travels behind the frames and extend resolution so its more of a window you are looking into.

here is what a typical flat screen will see in colour in the center (imagine a gun if you like in the center )

dome-fov-001-flat.jpg

here is a full 180 deg FOV of the human eye

dome-fov-002-wide.jpg

with eyefinity and toeing in the far side monitors you can get close to that in width

BIG difference.

anyways in theory my 3x 23" 1152p monitors arrive on monday so i decided to take the plunge :) i will post pics when they arrive

Last edited:
Associate
That - sooooooo jealous that I don't have the disposable income to do this anymore :(

Aye.

I was thinking how viable it would be to use a normal quality 24" in the centre and a couple of cheap 22"s on the outsides?

I'm on the verge of purchasing a new 24". Another 2nd hand 22" of the type I've already got would only cost me another £100 at most. So that would be 1650x1050 edges and 1920x1080 in the middle = about the same height. The new 24" would need a display port socket. I wonder if you can run with different resolutions with eyefinity?

Of course it doesnt stop there. I'd need to buy a 2nd 5850 to power 3. That £100 cost suddenly tripled :(

Edit: Been doing a bit of research. Whilst there are other ways (than eyefinity) of getting 3 different res monitors working, Windows7 with crossfire would exacerbate the problem making it more hassle than its worth. Time to sell that 22". I'm still seriously thinking of trying to pick up a couple of naff 2nd hand 23" monitors and playing with tripple head with one 5850 to begin with.

Last edited:
Associate
I dont like 3 monitors. 2 monitors is enough for me. I hate moving my head around to view :( to much work for me. But still thats a cool setup...

are they 120hz monitors? if so i would get 2 nvidia 480s and get full 3d surround :D

Associate
I dont like 3 monitors. 2 monitors is enough for me. I hate moving my head around to view :( to much work for me. But still thats a cool setup...

are they 120hz monitors? if so i would get 2 nvidia 480s and get full 3d surround :D

the idea is you dont move your head round.. its for peripheral vision.. but you can always rotate and have landscape image?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KYfLNYZJNs

lol ^ i think with that setup its just more for the laugh as the bezzels are too close together, even so still impressive.

---

with regards to cost.. its true it cost more but its a lot more imersive than anything previous and moves gaming to the next level.
look at it this way, what would you pay for a living room HD TV and a blueray player and/or PS3 its each to their own but there are people lowering the settings ever so slightly and still getting great frame rates on the budget 5770 @ 5 mega pixel resolution on dirt2 !

here a 5770 at huge res on grid (forgive the horrid music lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-gfoeWfxOc

shows what it can do.

price wise i got three monitors 23" 16:9 for £495 ! samsungs @ 2048 x 1152p
that means 6144x1152 resolution and huge fov.

then i could get £120 5770 to make the whole setup £620 and thats the price of a low-mid range 40" tv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl4sl04hwe8

i got these exact screens very thin bezzel and not even overlapped in this video ^

good eh? and thats on 1 5870 with 4x AA 16x AF also !

Associate

Although 3D surround is an great idea, i can't see this even being a great idea for new games because of the sheer amount of power needed..

Associate
its now quite possible ti integrate motion control, 3d and mulit monitor tech.. cant be long before a new generation of VR headsets come out can it ?

Soldato
Although 3D surround is an great idea, i can't see this even being a great idea for new games because of the sheer amount of power needed..

I don't think the 3D element adds much stress to the system, so this should be achievable with a modest system as long as the monitors support 120Hz

its now quite possible ti integrate motion control, 3d and mulit monitor tech.. cant be long before a new generation of VR headsets come out can it ?

That takes me back - I used to have a VFX1 (£d Head Tracking VR headset) back in the days - 640x480 (ish) and 256 colours gave a fantastic 3D world playing the original Quake! Those damn dogs used to scare the life out of me.

Associate
That takes me back - I used to have a VFX1 (£d Head Tracking VR headset) back in the days - 640x480 (ish) and 256 colours gave a fantastic 3D world playing the original Quake! Those damn dogs used to scare the life out of me.

imagine now with 6x the res and amazing gfx with trackIR,actual 3d and surround gaming :D

it is possible and with motion controls on consoles now its got to be the future

Soldato
imagine now with 6x the res and amazing gfx with trackIR,actual 3d and surround gaming :D

it is possible and with motion controls on consoles now its got to be the future

All rendered obsolete by a VR headset - the tracking in inbuilt - the binocular vision gives 'true' 3D natively as each eye gets a different screen all to itself (was great fun playing with the Angular displacement to get the 'best' 3D image before your mind went tilt and your eye went crossed!) The modern equivalent (VR920?) is up to 720p resolution which is better, but still a long way from awesome :( I was sooooo gutted that it never really took off - I was on the pre-order list for the VFX3D for about 5 years as the company folded/was taken over/disolved etc... :rolleyes:

Soldato
I've been running 3 screens for 4 years now, with trackir, through a matrox triplehead2go - eyefinity is not anything special, just better/more user defined resolutions - was really looking forward to the full vr headset though - like cavemanoc, was gutted when the vr920 didnt take off and thus tech improve!

Its a shame - when I want to game I still go back to a 22inch single monitor!

Back
Top Bottom