Pic: Your desk...RIGHT NOW

Soldato
The stands are Kanto S2

They are indeed Presonus Eris 3.5s, only had them a short while but they sound great.

I have heard those have quite the hiss/hum coming from them, can you hear that? I am considering this or an Edifier 1280t for a casual small desk system, and I hate hiss/hum more than anything, which the Edifier's do not have.

Eris will likely be the more neutral speaker but the Edifier can be EQ'd very well if need be.

Soldato
I have heard those have quite the hiss/hum coming from them, can you hear that? I am considering this or an Edifier 1280t for a casual small desk system, and I hate hiss/hum more than anything, which the Edifier's do not have.

Eris will likely be the more neutral speaker but the Edifier can be EQ'd very well if need be.
I have had a listen to mine, whether phonos are plugged in or not there is zero hum even at max volume, absolutely zero. At normal distance (about 80cm I can hear zero hiss) if I move closer (around 20cm) there is a very quiet hiss which only gets a tiny bit louder going from min to max volume. I doubt you will hear this under normal listening, definitely did not notice it until my ear was right next to them.

I have been using the Edifier r1280db for a couple of years before switching to these. In my opinion they sound a good deal better than than the Edifiers. I had both speakers set up side by side to test them against each other. Even when boosting up EQ on the edifiers they do not reach the same level of detail as the Presonus, probably as the tweeter on the Presonus is just so much better and I believe the woofer, whilst smaller than the Edifiers is of better quality. The Presonus also felt like the better choice for sitting on a PC desk as the sound was more focused and present. The Edifiers felt more empty.

However, I think it probably depends on exactly what you are using the speakers for, I can definitely see the Edifiers being better for some music styles and if you watch a lot of movies or want to use them to fill a room (for a party or something) the Edifiers are probably a better shout as they have a wider sound stage and lower bass. For "critical" listening the Presonus are much better to me.

Soldato
I have had a listen to mine, whether phonos are plugged in or not there is zero hum even at max volume, absolutely zero. At normal distance (about 80cm I can hear zero hiss) if I move closer (around 20cm) there is a very quiet hiss which only gets a tiny bit louder going from min to max volume. I doubt you will hear this under normal listening, definitely did not notice it until my ear was right next to them.

I have been using the Edifier r1280db for a couple of years before switching to these. In my opinion they sound a good deal better than than the Edifiers. I had both speakers set up side by side to test them against each other. Even when boosting up EQ on the edifiers they do not reach the same level of detail as the Presonus, probably as the tweeter on the Presonus is just so much better and I believe the woofer, whilst smaller than the Edifiers is of better quality. The Presonus also felt like the better choice for sitting on a PC desk as the sound was more focused and present. The Edifiers felt more empty.

However, I think it probably depends on exactly what you are using the speakers for, I can definitely see the Edifiers being better for some music styles and if you watch a lot of movies or want to use them to fill a room (for a party or something) the Edifiers are probably a better shout as they have a wider sound stage and lower bass. For "critical" listening the Presonus are much better to me.

Interesting. I took note of it because the Amazon reviews have made mention of a hiss/hum, which made me concerned. Maybe QC is an issue?

When you mention EQ, did you mean a software EQ done on Windows (APO Equalizer), or just tweaking the knobs? The former is what I was meaning, as there is a very good calibrated EQ file on Audiosciencereview, which makes them quite a lot more accurate - these speakers take to software EQ quite well, thankfully.

And no, I just intended to use them as a non-crappy PC speaker. So just general music, gaming, etc.

EDIT: Actually, wow. The measurements for the Eris 3.5 got absolutely clobbered on ASR. They seem to prefer the 1280t once it has had some EQ applied! (I *think* the DB version you mentioned changed the sound, more bassier/boomy while the T version retains more clarity and detail, might be something to note). I recall an upgraded version of this model did have a slightly larger woofer too, likely explains it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting. I took note of it because the Amazon reviews have made mention of a hiss/hum, which made me concerned. Maybe QC is an issue?

When you mention EQ, did you mean a software EQ done on Windows (APO Equalizer), or just tweaking the knobs? The former is what I was meaning, as there is a very good calibrated EQ file on Audiosciencereview, which makes them quite a lot more accurate - these speakers take to software EQ quite well, thankfully.

And no, I just intended to use them as a non-crappy PC speaker. So just general music, gaming, etc.

EDIT: Actually, wow. The measurements for the Eris 3.5 got absolutely clobbered on ASR. They seem to prefer the 1280t once it has had some EQ applied! (I *think* the DB version you mentioned changed the sound, more bassier/boomy while the T version retains more clarity and detail, might be something to note). I recall an upgraded version of this model did have a slightly larger woofer too, likely explains it.
I think it is important to note that I wouldn't really call myself an audiophile and not looking to buy a pair of "flat" speakers for mixing or anything. I think a lot of audiophile reviews like this are only really useful when taken in context, they are undoubtedly a low end speaker, as per their price but are leagues ahead of 99% of those 2.1 desktop speaker systems. I think the use case for the speakers is to be taken into account also, from what I understand the tests on the forum linked are not when sat at a desk with close listening and I personally don't understand half of the graphs and how they pertain to how detail is perceived.

One graph that I did find interesting though was the "long term compression" as he notes that frequency response may be distorted over periods rather than ear fatigue, I feel like I have actually heard this myself. Honestly the only thing that the reviews have made me think is that I should be spending more on my speakers! I would also not dispute that they have a more v shaped response and lack mids, but the Edifiers lacked mids a fair bit too.

Most reviews really loved these speakers too, I was looking at the Audioengine A2+ and Kanto YU2 and wonder if maybe I should give one of those a try too and see how I find them. Maybe these audiophiles are right and I should be looking elsewhere but I would probably just end up scoping the mids on any better speakers myself anyway =/

Soldato
I think it is important to note that I wouldn't really call myself an audiophile and not looking to buy a pair of "flat" speakers for mixing or anything. I think a lot of audiophile reviews like this are only really useful when taken in context, they are undoubtedly a low end speaker, as per their price but are leagues ahead of 99% of those 2.1 desktop speaker systems. I think the use case for the speakers is to be taken into account also, from what I understand the tests on the forum linked are not when sat at a desk with close listening and I personally don't understand half of the graphs and how they pertain to how detail is perceived.

One graph that I did find interesting though was the "long term compression" as he notes that frequency response may be distorted over periods rather than ear fatigue, I feel like I have actually heard this myself. Honestly the only thing that the reviews have made me think is that I should be spending more on my speakers! I would also not dispute that they have a more v shaped response and lack mids, but the Edifiers lacked mids a fair bit too.

Most reviews really loved these speakers too, I was looking at the Audioengine A2+ and Kanto YU2 and wonder if maybe I should give one of those a try too and see how I find them. Maybe these audiophiles are right and I should be looking elsewhere but I would probably just end up scoping the mids on any better speakers myself anyway =/

Oh yeah, you can definitely spend a bit more and get significant upgrades, if anything just by getting a larger woofer since basic physics is in play at that point. Audioengine and Kanto I have heard good things about, not sure if they've been measured, though.

I've been down the audiophile path hardcore and there are a lot of upgrades you can achieve with better speakers, I'm just after a good enough cheap pair for the moment that beats the crappy Logitech stuff they make nowadays. A shame, as I remember back in the 00s they made the quite good X-230.

Soldato
I have a had a wee listen to those speakers through some of the youtube channels that do comparisons and they sound pretty standard for a 2.1 Satellite/Sub system. If you are listening to a lot of music the Presonus will be leagues ahead, you will get much more detailed mid and high range as they are 2-way and seem more high quality drivers. You will lose any sub-bass and some bass, but the bass response from the Presonus will be much punchier and cleaner.

If you watch movies often you might miss the sub bass and some bass but all round they will be much cleaner. I used to stick with 2.1 systems as they were easy to fit on the desk but moved to bookshelf/monitors a good few years ago and have not looked back. There are a lot of options out there to fit basically any budget, listening requirement, and size. Finding the right match can be a slog though.

Best thing I can suggest is take a listen to some tests (make sure you listen with headphones otherwise it doesn't really work):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwVNTAZaW6Q&t=342s&ab_channel=DSAUDIO.review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DSJ4zuOvro&ab_channel=DSAUDIO.review

You should be able to hear the different kind of sound signatures from different speakers. Feel free to

Forgot to say thanks for the advice bud. Will dig out my headphones and have a listen!

Soldato
20220309-105026sm.jpg

20220309-105045sm.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Two PCs there? How big is that desk mat?!

Yeah, one I use as a RDP server for work access so I keep work and play separate, it's an old i7 ITX build. My main machine is an AMD 5900x with 64GB RAM and an old 1070ti. I'm holding out for the GPU prices to normalise. The desk/mouse mat is the 5XL from Steelseries which is 1600x800 .

I keep meaning to get me some nano leaves or similar. I like that look.

Back
Top Bottom