Pic: Your desk...RIGHT NOW

Soldato
Generic office desk.

At least it's actually quite comfortable and have a lot of space. I really need a nice deep desk like this at home. This desk raises as well so I can stand for a bit.

I love having a standing desk at work. It makes so much difference to the back pain. I'd love to get one at home too.

Soldato
I love having a standing desk at work. It makes so much difference to the back pain. I'd love to get one at home too.

Do it! I found some pretty affordable legs/frame and just popped my desktop off the drawers, injected the sit/stand mechanism and stored the unused fixings for later. At sitting it's 5cm taller than before but that suits me.

Soldato
Do it! I found some pretty affordable legs/frame and just popped my desktop off the drawers, injected the sit/stand mechanism and stored the unused fixings for later. At sitting it's 5cm taller than before but that suits me.
Do you know if they can lift the weight they say? I have a John Lewis Calia desk and it's pretty heaven as the tabletop has drawers built in. I'd need a pretty low frame to make it work but it'd be a game changer.

Soldato
What did you get? I just had a quick look but nothing that felt affordable came up :)
Honestly I shopped around the cheapie stuff from Asian companies on eBay/Amazon. In the end there was a fault with one of the legs (think it was a stripped thread on motor fixing point) but that was resolved with a replacement. But yeah it was sub-£200 IIRC. Work allowed £350 budget for WFH when covid hit so I got those legs and a new screen :)

eBay history suggests "UK electric height adjustable standing desk frame"... Yadda yadda, but the listing is ended. It has programmable memory for 4 heights so I can go to standing mode with one touch.

Soldato
Do you know if they can lift the weight they say? I have a John Lewis Calia desk and it's pretty heaven as the tabletop has drawers built in. I'd need a pretty low frame to make it work but it'd be a game changer.
Well I've leant on it and it doesn't seem to struggle to raise. And if you lift the desktop it doesn't move the motors any faster. So it's suitable for a fair bit, I have a PC, laptop, 27" screen, double monitor arm, lots of junk...

The only issue is it does wobble a little which I think is down to flex in general, from the feet. Because it's a bit cantilever-y with a floating desktop but 2 central legs.

Soldato
I'd highly recommend a standing desk. I have a jarvis by fully but as indicated there are other cheaper options. I believe it indicate 50kg max weight when I bought it (if I remember correctly). Its very robust

Edit: nvm it says 150kg lifting capacity!

Apologies for not a "now" picture... Mine is far messier usually.

O5xdJIk.jpeg

Soldato
I suppose you could always wrap it to add your own style? But yes that's a fair chunk of change!
I definitely think at that price point I could buy some quality legs/frame and make my own top!

That said - while I am an experienced woodworker I actually prefer artificial surfaces as they're easier to clean and don't wear like wood does. But yeah 800 would open up lots of options :)

Man of Honour
I definitely think at that price point I could buy some quality legs/frame and make my own top!

That said - while I am an experienced woodworker I actually prefer artificial surfaces as they're easier to clean and don't wear like wood does. But yeah 800 would open up lots of options :)
I've just had a quick Google and for 800 you can get quite a range of standing desks even for a fair bit less. Once this cost of living crisis recedes I may explore one. For now I'll just come into the office!

Si.

Si.

Soldato
20220309-105026sm.jpg

20220309-105045sm.jpg

What desk is that? I'm looking of something new and like the look of it.

Soldato
After almost 3 years of WFH, I decided to upgraded my 10 year old desk to a new standing desk.

Went from 120x60 to 140x70 and the extra space is great.

This is the FlexiSpot EQ5 and I've found it to be a very good desk. Very little movement at my standing height and it's dual motor so can handle everything I need and my extra monitor when it arrives!

Need to get some decent cable sleeves and ties to tidy up the cables a little.

68475857715__243A2927-36F8-4A63-A823-FD994EB65501.jpg

Back
Top Bottom