Picked up a LG OLED55B6V

Soldato
I was tempted by the argos deal but 6 year warranty and the fact I dont need a sound bar made me go for RS deal. Going to buy an Anthem MRX 720 today so thats going to handle the sound for me.

Aren't these around £3k ? Tbh I think I would have got a Denon and put the extra saved towards a better OLED....

Associate
Aren't these around £3k ? Tbh I think I would have got a Denon and put the extra saved towards a better OLED....

Way better sound than a Denon. My MRX 300 rear channels crackle as I let my room get too hot last summer and I think some components suffered so I was on the look out for a MRX 520 but I have been offered an ex demo MRX 720 for stupidly low price.
I had a Marantz before this Anthem and would not go back as its in a different league both in sound and in the room correction.

Soldato
A set of small rear wireless speakers for the 2700 would be superb. My Samsung has better surround using wireless rears. I never found the bouncing method on the Yamaha worked very well.

Soldato
A set of small rear wireless speakers for the 2700 would be superb. My Samsung has better surround using wireless rears. I never found the bouncing method on the Yamaha worked very well.

I find it ok but you need the perfect shaped room to get the best from it, no obstacles in the way, which its difficult for most unless you have a cinema room.

Associate
Same here, just wish my Yamaha ysp2700 had the spec to support Dolby Vision passthrough, before I bought it I had not read up on Dolby Vision and I can see that being a minor issue in the future when/if I get devices that have on board Dolby vision.

To be fair nearly every thing out at the moment has a big ??? when it comes to dolby vision compatability I was close to waiting a year before I brought any thing but I have the money now I thought screw it and pressed the buy button otherwise something else like Vega or and new Rizen pc may have got the funds.

Soldato
I have just been reading about TV's next year and if it's true it looks like LG are releasing a HDMI 2.1 equipped 120Hz 4k OLED with variable refresh and over 1000Nits brightness. What I read states under £3k for the 55" inch but we will see. Xbox Scorpio is meant to support hdmi 2.1 and variable refresh which tbh will be the best thing for gaming since HDR......

Associate
Dolby Vision is utterly irrelevant though as no tv can reproduce 4000nits of brightness / 12bit colour...

Thats not all it does. I did read somewhere on AV forums which I cant find otherwise I would post a link that for OLED displays it is a better way to do HDR. Current HDR10 is better on LCD due to the way it works as it does not take into account the pure black levels of OLEDs. Where Dolby Vision each tv would have a calibrated look up table built in to take the meta data from the video and map it to the contrast of the TV. So in a dark room with a pure black capable display you would get a lot better experience with dolby vision than HDR10 due to the HDR10 over saturating on the very bright bits.

Hope that makes sense as im not to good explaining it going from memory of what i read.

Caporegime
https://www.avforums.com/threads/oled-price-changes.1992195/page-120

Link above is a good place to keep an eye out for cheapest prices also HUKD is worth checking.
Prices have dropped a little over this easter weekend.

I went for the 55b6 for £1599 form Richer Sounds to replace my Kuro which is still stunning for 1080p but I wanted 4k and HDR.

Dont know if its still valid but I used code TV100 for £100 off any TV over £1400 on RS.

Oh sorry im looking at the 65"

Readi ng last few posts though about gaming im a little concerned.

Mostly it will be for film/tv but a fsir bit of gaming.

Room will alwayd be dim/datk

Soldato

Ive noticed no difference from gaming on a Sony W905 and then a KS7000 (for 1 week). The B6 is perfectly fine to me, Im still rubbish in BF1.

The latest update on the B6 improved input lag in game mode.

Soldato
I noticed a lack of shadow detail compared to the KS7000. The OLED struggles with detail in darker scenes compared to the LCD. You can compensate by turning up the brightness but this makes everything very grey....

Best thing to do is not compare it to anything and just enjoy. I had no issues with lag on the OLED I am as above pretty crap at anything you might notice lag in though.....

Associate
I noticed a lack of shadow detail compared to the KS7000. The OLED struggles with detail in darker scenes compared to the LCD. You can compensate by turning up the brightness but this makes everything very grey....

Best thing to do is not compare it to anything and just enjoy. I had no issues with lag on the OLED I am as above pretty crap at anything you might notice lag in though.....

I find just increasing the brightness 2 or 3 notches makes a big difference sometimes, any higher and it starts crushing the blacks and you get that murky grey look instead of black.

Caporegime

Well it's upgrading from a 20" Panasonic thsts at least 10 years old so will be epic either way lol

Plus I've not co sole games in years.

But with referees on the sheild thinking some pc games in 4k in the living room would be very cool

Soldato
Well it's upgrading from a 20" Panasonic thsts at least 10 years old so will be epic either way lol

Plus I've not co sole games in years.

But with referees on the sheild thinking some pc games in 4k in the living room would be very cool

Your eyeballs are in for a real treat..... :)

V F

V F

Soldato
I have just been reading about TV's next year and if it's true it looks like LG are releasing a HDMI 2.1 equipped 120Hz 4k OLED with variable refresh and over 1000Nits brightness. What I read states under £3k for the 55" inch but we will see. Xbox Scorpio is meant to support hdmi 2.1 and variable refresh which tbh will be the best thing for gaming since HDR......

This guy is talking dirty!

Soldato

I wonder if it's really shadow detail that's missing when comparing to LCD. Being as LCD struggles with dark scenes because it can't really do black, so an image where the local dimming can't cope would the dark shadow areas show lighter than they should be? Thus when comparing oled side by side is the oled more accurate?

Caporegime

Trust me, the 65" is the best TV I've owned and I've had quite a lot of TV's over the years.

I game on it a lot (PC and console) and it's superb, and the recent update that added HDR game mode also reduced input lag on SDR game mode.

Back
Top Bottom