Picked up a LG OLED55B6V

Caporegime
I already had 3D blu-rays, but haven't really ever found them much more than a gimmick

UHD Blu-rays don't even have anything in the spec to support 3D. It's dying out.

Caporegime
It's not as good or immersive due to the difference in screen sizes. I don't see the point investing in 3D now. All support for 3d has been cut. It's all about HDR now.

My thinking is that the 65E6V is 'only' £1k more than the 65B6V, so if someone's thinking of getting the B6 + a soundbar (the Yamaha YSP-2700 is £800), then they might as well spend the extra £200 on the E6 and get 1. an integrated HK soundbar, which is meant to be great, 2. 3D, and 3. the picture-on-glass design.

But I guess that's down to whether or not someone already has a home audio setup. Personally I've got a surround setup in the snug but this TV would be for the living room, where I'm forbidden from large surround speakers so it has to be a soundbar. So if I need a soundbar anyway, I may as well get the 3D E6.

3D should belong in the cinema, and the cinema only

Why is that? I'd love to be able to get something akin to cinema 3D in my living room.

Last edited:
Associate
Having bought the 55" E6V my personal opinion the 3D is far better than I expected.
Family who have other 3D sets have been blown away by the difference.

Caporegime
It's the same panel, there is no step down in quality.

Mounting a panel on glass makes no difference, other than to aesthetics.

And 5mm is already thinner than an iPhone 7! Believe me that is plenty thin enough.

Caporegime

And 5mm is already thinner than an iPhone 7! Believe me that is plenty thin enough.

Agree with all of this and I'd actually say the B6 base looks better without the sound bar, as it gives the appearance of floating.

Personally I've now decided to go with the B6, forget the 3D, and get a separate sound bar.

Caporegime
Yep. The B6 pedestal is actually quite small which is good.

The base of a 65" E6 would've hung over the edges of my TV Stand and it would have bothered me and wouldn't have looked great.

Here's the dog 'enjoying' The Grand Tour...

Vincent_Hanna_65B6V_01.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I've booked in to have my 65" B6 calibrated in the new year. I used the AV Forums calibration settings as a starting point and then made my own changes by eye. This made a huge improvement to the image quality. I'm hoping ill see another noticeable improvement after it's calibrated.

Caporegime
Yep. The B6 pedestal is actually quite small which is good.

The base of a 65" E6 would've hung over the edges of my TV Stand and it would have bothered me and wouldn't have looked great.

I've also got a TV stand that's almost exactly the right width for the 55" version, and although an overhang would bother me too, it wouldn't bother me as much as instant regret for buying a TV that's too small, just for the sake of the look of the TV stand.

Associate

According to the following review it is a step down
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/137335-lg-4k-hdr-choices-for-2016-g6-e6-c6-and-b6-tvs-compared

Don't get me wrong, when I can afford one it will be a B6 but I just wanted to know the differences and that was one of the few reviews that detailed the difference between each model number. I copied just a snippet in my previous post where they claim it is a 'step down'

Last edited:
Soldato
I've booked in to have my 65" B6 calibrated in the new year. I used the AV Forums calibration settings as a starting point and then made my own changes by eye. This made a huge improvement to the image quality. I'm hoping ill see another noticeable improvement after it's calibrated.

I've got a 65" B6 that I've had since yesterday and it's truly amazing.

Have you got a link to them settings?

I'd like to give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom