Picked up a LG OLED55B6V

Associate
I came to regret passing on the Very deal but I was prepared to wait for the price to come down further. This Currys deal is pretty good, with the 5 year guarantee why the hell not. Last I checked most of the people who ordered from Very aren't getting theirs till the 9th as they sold out all their stock so I guess it worked out passing on the first deal.

My only reservation is there might be even better deals come black Friday but that's a couple of months away and not many places seem to stock the C version which I prefer for the black bezel.

Soldato
Just picked up a 55" B6V for £720 and a SH8 soundbar and wireless subwoofer for £80. Last years models, but don't think you could get anything better for £800 total. Bit of an upgrade from 32" Samsung 5000. Now I just need somewhere to put them...

Caporegime
Thread bump!

There is some beta firmware available (05.30.25) which I have installed. It appears to solve the raised black issue that was introduced in the 05.30.03

Note though that it appears you can't roll back on this - Luckily it's working fine for me. I'm not 100% but the HDR game mode seemed a bit brighter to me as well.

I imagine this will be the last firmware we ever get as the TV is 2 years old now.

Notes translated from German:

Two new firmware updates for the 2016 OLED TVs B6, C6 and E6 have been released on LG's servers. Lt. first reports from users in the hifi forum , the update should finally get the "raised-black" problem under control!

Unfortunately there is no official changelog for the beta updates 05.30.25 (B6) and 05.30.30 (C6 & E6). The approximately 840MB firmwares to several problems to fix, including on the video output related problems. However, the "raised-black" bug when playing HDR and Dolby Vision material seems to be a thing of the past. There are already several subjective reports from users who have also seen an improvement in image reproduction.

Others do not really dare to install the beta firmware, because there is always the danger that with a "untested" update, some more serious errors creep in. Especially at the time of the current FIFA World Cup 2018, a "defective" OLED TV is not exactly desirable. On our editorial TV C6 we could easily install the update. The firmware must be on a FAT32-formatted USB stick (at least 4GB) in a "LG_DTV" named folder.

Black is finally black!
At first glance, there really seems to be improvements in Dolby Vision playback. To test we have "Spider-Man: Homecoming" inserted.
But it should give even clearer examples. For example, the Fast & Furious movies, because of the black bar but noticeably turned gray. In the hi-fi forum you are looking forward to the successful installation on "pitch black" bars!

We would say that we can see an improvement in black levels under Dolby Vision. (Figure: Spider-Man: Homecoming)

Other bugfixes
On a Korean website some improvements were listed. Roughly translated, there are several bugfixes associated with video output. In addition, the devices are now Netflix certified, there are performance improvements, an interruption of audio playback while switching on the TV + set-top box has been fixed and you should be able to change the Amazon HDR mode.

Download beta firmware:
The beta firmware can be downloaded for free below. Have you already installed the update? Then share your feedback in the comment feature (under this article)!

ATTENTION: The installation of the beta firmware is at your own risk

Soldato
Good to know, but mine's out of warranty anyway.

Good that you notice its fixed the black glow, have you tested material that you previously noticed the black glow, with this beta firmware?

Also the B6 suffered from the raised blacks (black glow B6 only effected) and also the wide spread DV raised blacks over hdmi issue. Do you know if both are fixed.

For the record Im on 5.30.03 and personally not noticed any of the issues as of yet, I would love to test out the beta firmware but I can wait, I have downloaded it though.

Soldato
Ive been using 5.30.25 for the last few days.

Best firmware yet.

HDR/DV/HLG looks much better, including regular 8bit colour.

Blacks perfect are perfect.

Im going to wait for official release which is coming by the end of the month according to this source:

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welco...n-thread-part-6.2097705/page-255#68a16b913ae2

I think I will do a full factory reset as well after updating, would like to reset my picture modes and a few other things anyway.

Back
Top Bottom